Dislike Button

habanero

T.V. forum has a like button on forum replies and comments. How about having a dislike button?  Or maybe something like FB has. Different expressions.  It's easy to just have one button such as Like. But, it would be more objective to have a dislike button also, 

Just now, saakura said:

If i remember correctly, they did have it for a while, but was removed for some reason.

Sorry to hear that. I suppose like everything else though, someone could find a way to abuse it.  

16 minutes ago, habanero said:

Sorry to hear that. I suppose like everything else though, someone could find a way to abuse it.  

Exactly, it was a nightmare to moderate, some of our members are very good at finding ways to abuse each other.

Note that the major social media sites also only have a "Like" button although some have a "Rate this Post" facility.

2 hours ago, habanero said:

Yeah just tear into the sob in a reply and get a free TV holiday.  :laugh: :biggrin:

While vaguely on topic, what exactly is the purpose of the "Member's total reputation" figure (the number next to the + sign under your username as stated in your posts), and how is this calculated?

Edited by OJAS

2 minutes ago, OJAS said:

While vaguely on topic, what exactly is the purpose of the "Member's total reputation" figure (the number next to the + sign under your username as stated in your posts), and how is this calculated?

The way I understand it, you get a "point" (or "plus") per "like" that you receive on your posts.  So the closer your ratio of total posts is to your total plusses, the more people apparently like what you have to say.

1 minute ago, Chou Anou said:

The way I understand it, you get a "point" (or "plus") per "like" that you receive on your posts.  So the closer your ratio of total posts is to your total plusses, the more people apparently like what you have to say.

Thanks, yes, what you say does sound plausible. But it was only introduced a few months ago as part of the major restructuring of this site, and my concern is that it could lead to the same level of abuse as a Dislike button by, in particular, those who might have little better to do with their time than compile "likeness" league tables of members. And I am hard-pressed to see anything in its favour.

13 minutes ago, Chou Anou said:

Except there are a fair few members with more 'likes' than actual posts. I understand that this has nothing to with with consistently making individual posts that loads of people like but apparently due to some sort of activity on certain forums, possibly the farming one?

35 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Except there are a fair few members with more 'likes' than actual posts. I understand that this has nothing to with with consistently making individual posts that loads of people like but apparently due to some sort of activity on certain forums, possibly the farming one?

Are you saying those naughty farmers are liking each other rather too much

4 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Are you saying those naughty farmers are liking each other rather too much

well, when you grow up in a pastoral/agricultural setting, you tend to be a little more free about some things.

Ah the dislike button. Bring back the 1,000 alt accounts!

Also don't forget to look up all old posts of the OP, and dislike ALL of them, just to make sure.

Edit: Or farm it out to the Chinese:

Edited by Jdietz

18 hours ago, NanLaew said:

And AFAIK actual post numbers also include posts deleted by the mods plus PM's!

On 5/18/2017 at 11:21 AM, Crossy said:

Exactly, it was a nightmare to moderate, some of our members are very good at finding ways to abuse each other.

Note that the major social media sites also only have a "Like" button although some have a "Rate this Post" facility.

Do you know why members' total reputation figures were introduced following the recent site revamp? 

On 18/05/2017 at 1:18 PM, Kwasaki said:

Yeah just tear into the sob in a reply and get a free TV holiday.  :laugh: :biggrin:

I really appreciate the TV moderation system. Otherwise it becomes a free for all of abuse. Insults, flaming and even death threats. I know of a facebook social group that received all of those with admin having to frequently ban certain members and is a nightmare to run. 

TV is a forum not a social media, so why would posters require a dislike and ratings buttons? If like, click like, or stay neutral, quote or simply ignore and move on.

1 minute ago, cyberfarang said:

I really appreciate the TV moderation system. Otherwise it becomes a free for all of abuse. Insults, flaming and even death threats. I know of a facebook social group that received all of those with admin having to frequently ban certain members and is a nightmare to run. 

TV is a forum not a social media, so why would posters require a dislike and ratings buttons? If like, click like, or stay neutral, quote or simply ignore and move on.

Agree l wonder if my ignore facility will get full but that wouldn't be so bad l can flame myself. :biggrin: