Dog attack in Chonburi housing estate – neighbor refuses to take responsibility

webfact

Dog attack in Chonburi housing estate – neighbor refuses to take responsibility

3pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

CHONBURI/PATTAYA: -- A neighbor is refusing to take responsibility for a dog attack claiming that he was looking after only one of the dogs in the pack. The one that did the biting was a soi dog and wasn’t his, he claimed.

But the woman who got a nasty bite on her leg said that all the dogs were his responsibility whether he looked after them inside his house or not, reported Thai Rath.

A video of the attack on “O” was posted online. The incident happened at a housing estate in the Ban Bung area of Chonburi on March 12th.

The poster of the clip – O’s boyfriend said it was disgraceful that the neighbor – who lives next door – would not even say sorry let alone not offer to pay for his girlfriend’s treatment. He said he intends to prosecute with the full force of the law.

Reporters caught up with “O” who said that she was just putting the trash out and returning to her house when she was surrounded by four dogs. She called for help from her next door neighbor, who she said looked after them all.

He did nothing.

She was bitten by one of the black dogs.

When she complained to him he claimed that he only looked after the white dog inside his house. Though he fed the other dogs they were soi dogs that roamed outside and were not his responsibility.

The matter is now in the hands of the police.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-18

Very scary to be bitten like that. I hope she heals quickly.

An interesting issue with soi dogs - many people are motivated to feed the soi dogs and feel sorry for them.  But for the rest of the time NO-ONE is taking any responsibility for them.  There is a kindly person feeding soi dogs near us and while I understand his desire to help, he should understand that by feeding them he is creating a pack of dogs and it is the local community that has to put up with the dog poo all over the place, the barking and the fighting. 

What is the solution to the soi dog problem? 

I'm reminded of the classic Peter sellers sketch

Clouseau: Does your dog bite?

Hotel Clerk: No.

Clouseau: [bowing down to pet the dog] Nice doggie.

[Dog barks and bites Clouseau in the hand]

Clouseau: I thought you said your dog did not bite!

Hotel Clerk: That is not my dog.

1 hour ago, Bangna Betty said:

The solution is clear, there is even a quick solution which would go against buddhist principles and can be completed within a year and a longer-term solution which will take a "generation" (of dog years - say about 10 years total time).

But neither is being considered at the moment by the authorities, and why would they?

They are not being held responsible, so why take any action at all unless enough people start to protest?

Or of course when the wrong person is bitten (someone important enough), than a solution will be implemented within days.

Interesting thing for all the hero's in previous dog-attack posts about stamping your foot, showing aggression, carrying a squirt gun with ammonia, and pretending to pick up a rock:

this is how a real dog attack happens...

dogs do not stand there barking for a minute to see how you respond before they slowly come closer to attack you.

In reality dogs make little sound and just take a run at you. They bite before you have a chance to do any of your ingenious dog-repellent tricks.

"When she complained to him he claimed that he only looked after the white dog inside his house. Though he fed the other dogs they were soi dogs that roamed outside and were not his responsibility."

If he feeds them, he must take responsibility!  I'm a dog lover, but some of these soi dogs are a pain in the backside, and need putting down.  I was bitten by a soi dog 7 years ago.  The local residents denied responsibility, saying that they didn't feed them; if they weren't getting fed, they wouldn't be there!

3 hours ago, Bangna Betty said:

Very scary to be bitten like that. I hope she heals quickly.

An interesting issue with soi dogs - many people are motivated to feed the soi dogs and feel sorry for them.  But for the rest of the time NO-ONE is taking any responsibility for them.  There is a kindly person feeding soi dogs near us and while I understand his desire to help, he should understand that by feeding them he is creating a pack of dogs and it is the local community that has to put up with the dog poo all over the place, the barking and the fighting. 

//////lookchin ma....

2 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Interesting thing for all the hero's in previous dog-attack posts about stamping your foot, showing aggression, carrying a squirt gun with ammonia, and pretending to pick up a rock:

dogs do not stand there barking for a minute to see how you respond before they slowly come closer to attack you.

In reality dogs make little sound and just take a run at you. They bite before you have a chance to do any of your ingenious dog-repellent tricks.

You're quite wrong,

That happened to me when I was 7 years old riding a bike, bitten by a black dog on my leg. 

Full depth puncture=wound from it's upper canine tooth, very painful.

If that was my GF who had been bitten, that dog would be "disappeared" within a short time.

5 hours ago, kotsak said:

It's funny when something happens to a soi dog everyone runs to claim ownership in order to get compensated but when the opposite happens then they don't want to have anything with it..

Yes 'everyone ' always does this.

Budloads of stats to back this assertion up as well I'll bet.

Edited by Fulwell53

1 hour ago, xerostar said:

That happened to me when I was 7 years old riding a bike, bitten by a black dog on my leg. 

Full depth puncture=wound from it's upper canine tooth, very painful.

If that was my GF who had been bitten, that dog would be "disappeared" within a short time.

One of our colleagues was a really short skinny old guy who biked to and from work, In one street a couple of dogs used to chase him which the owners thought funny. He got bit eventually. So his foreman cut a six inch length off a steel rod and told him to drop it on the dog's head next time it chased him. He did - whoosh! Four legs spread and flat out. It's mate legged it. Never bothered him again.

People need to control their dogs. If not, then dogs cannot be allowed to bite people at will.

5 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

100 % Bullshit. You obviously haven't hot any real dog experience. Soi dogs will always make you know that you have ventured into their area! A silent bight is normal in a household with a <deleted> <deleted> dog!!  She is typical dog scared which they know and couldn't stand up to the alpha dog and stop the attack. End of story there! How ever they need to be culled!! I am a dog lover!!  

9 minutes ago, Bagwain said:

100 % Bullshit. You obviously haven't hot any real dog experience. Soi dogs will always make you know that you have ventured into their area! A silent bight is normal in a household with a <deleted> <deleted> dog!!  She is typical dog scared which they know and couldn't stand up to the alpha dog and stop the attack. End of story there! How ever they need to be culled!! I am a dog lover!!  

I guess you must be a cow farmer because the amount of bullshit you are producing cannot come from a regular person.

Please make sure you know the difference between a dog and cat before posting again, with your "real dog experience".

LOL

This happens daily here on our streets in Bang Bung. They bare their teeth and want to attack our leashed dog. Most have homes and owners , most owners are too lazy to take them out and let them run wild. These dogs should be picked up and disposed of by the city. Licenses for dogs should be mandatory,  100 Baht tags on collars with owners phone number and I.D. number. Dogs without owners/tags, should be dispersed to heaven immediately.

As a dog-hater I am disappointed with this thread.  There are very few supporters getting up on their hind legs to defend 'ownership' - perhaps the video is too graphic.  In years to come historians will detail how primitive man used to keep these disease spreading, dangerous animals in their houses.  Incredulous students will read that food was wasted on these creatures whilst millions starved round the world.  These same students might be amused to read the cost of vets' bills; doggy toys/clothes whilst the owners could not spare money for human charities.

Some years ago a Bangkok governor stated that if you feed a dog you own it. This was at the time of bringing in compulsory chipping.

He is right. Feed it and you own it.

Time that policy was made country-wide.