Video: Who believes the driver who says he didn't know he collided with a motorbike?

webfact

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, wirat69 said:

When undertaking meet the undertaker 

primary fault was was electrical failure resulting in indicator lights failing to indicate!!

Yeah, them pesky nerves can be somewhat unreliable in delivering those electric signals from the brain.

41 minutes ago, wprime said:

Yeah, them pesky nerves can be somewhat unreliable in delivering those electric signals from the brain.

As a biker since I was 16, a long time ago,  I still say the guy on the bike was your standard biker idiot who just assumed that all other vehicles 2 or 4 wheels should pay attention to him and get out of his rightful self assumed way. It's still a mindset here that the bigger vehicle must be at fault. Just because there is a bike lane on the left side of the road that idiots believe can be used no matter what direction they are travelling doesn't mean they have the right of way they assume they have.

5 hours ago, seajae said:

no indicator to let anyone know he was turning but that is typical for many  drivers here, you have to guess what they are going to do. He started to overtake then just turned so the driver has broken the law, lets hope the police actually chase him down and issue a bloody big fine as well as make him pay restitution to the bike rider

Better go to Specsavers- you can see the indicator was on and the driver was pulling across the line.

IMHO, many motorbike riders are suicidal. Since I am aware of that, there have been times when I had to slam on the brakes and let them pass while having my turn signal on and wanting to make a left turn. Fortunately I try to keep a close eye on those riders and actually expect them to try to shoot the gap.

Typical case of "I want to go first" in Thailand.

The motorbike driver should just have kept his distance and this would never have happened. Also hope he now understands the importance of wearing a helmet. 

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

The more you watch this it looks more like the bike rider hit the front brake when he realised too late he wasn't going to make it past in time. If anything the only contact with the pick up was perhaps with his arm/shoulder after the bike started going down.

Watch it a few times and each time concentrate on a different part

Bike front wheel

Bikers arm/shoulder.

Not busy today then?

2 hours ago, khunpa said:

Typical case of "I want to go first" in Thailand.

The motorbike driver should just have kept his distance and this would never have happened. Also hope he now understands the importance of wearing a helmet. 

Yes, but most motorbikes drivers are too stupid to understand this. If I was not over careful I could kill one daily.

4 hours ago, loong said:

100% the fault of the pick-up driver.

Undertaking is allowed in this situation. In fact motorcyclists can be fined for travelling in the right hand lane.

I suggest that you pause the video as soon as the vehicles come into view.

The pick-up is clearly coming from the far right lane and cutting in front of the bike. It doesn't matter whether he had his indicators on or not, it doesn't make it ok to cut in front of another vehicle.

Most fuel stations have a very high sign and can be seen from a long way off. The pick up should have maneuvered into the left lane long before this.

Whoever is right, only 1 will die.

So if motorbikes drivers had a brain, they would not do this.

7 hours ago, seajae said:

no indicator to let anyone know he was turning but that is typical for many  drivers here, you have to guess what they are going to do. He started to overtake then just turned so the driver has broken the law, lets hope the police actually chase him down and issue a bloody big fine as well as make him pay restitution to the bike rider

..i can see his left indicator flashing on my monitor!

..however the impact of the motorcycle hitting him did cause him to deviate slightly, which he corrected and completed his turn..obviously aware something hit the side of his vehicle.

I believe the fuel filler cap is located on the driver's side of the truck, so the driver probably did not notice any damage while he was casually standing around without a care in the world,  by his truck, since it would have been on the passenger side.. 

Makes no difference, who cares?

The operator of the pickup has no legal responsibility to look behind him while making a left turn. However, defensive drivers should signal in advance and look in their rear view mirror prior to turning.

Clearly, the operator of the motorcycle was to aggressive in this case and was 100% at fault.  He could have been inexperienced in motorcycles. I wonder if he even had a valid, motorcycle license or if he was  under the influence of alcohol or drugs. 

I investigated motor vehicle accidents for 30 years. One of the biggest mistakes aggressive motorcycle operators make is passing on the left of a vehicle turning left.

Most are fatal accidents with the inertia forcing the operator to the pavement with the head hitting the pavement, curbs, parked vehicles, fences, walls, or signage.

The big bikes at high speed are the worse offenders and most never go home and if they do it's in a wheel chair.

9 hours ago, loong said:

100% the fault of the pick-up driver.

Undertaking is allowed in this situation. In fact motorcyclists can be fined for travelling in the right hand lane.

I suggest that you pause the video as soon as the vehicles come into view.

The pick-up is clearly coming from the far right lane and cutting in front of the bike. It doesn't matter whether he had his indicators on or not, it doesn't make it ok to cut in front of another vehicle.

Most fuel stations have a very high sign and can be seen from a long way off. The pick up should have maneuvered into the left lane long before this.

At first I figured 100% the motorcycles fault for attempting to undertake. However, after watching the video again and after reading your comments I can see my mistake in observation. I'm doing an about turn and am now of the opinion that the Pickup driver is 100% to blame for the accident. 

I too see that the pickup driver started in the 2nd lane and cut across into the 1st (left most) lane to turn left. It seems the pickup drivers decision to make the turn was a late one, he did not show his intention to turn at least 30m in advance (as per land traffic act) and failed to position his vehicle correctly. 

I do believe the pick up driver may not have noticed the incident, but this is Thailand who can tell with the numbers of hit and runs we see. 

The motorcyclist could also have avoided this incident. 

I think both the pickup driver and the motorcyclists were hardly paying attention, which IMO is the route cause of this accident (2 people driving / riding carelessly). That said, IMO: Pickup driver is at fault. 

Edited by richard_smith237

1 minute ago, berybert said:

I'm glad I don't go to the same optician as you lot do.

The car is overtaking the bike then slows and turns, I.E. he cut the bike rider up

Please quote to place your response in context...  I (we) are not sure who's post you are referring to. 

If it was mine, please read again, we are in agreement. 

4 hours ago, Kabula said:

Makes no difference, who cares?

The operator of the pickup has no legal responsibility to look behind him while making a left turn. However, defensive drivers should signal in advance and look in their rear view mirror prior to turning.

Clearly, the operator of the motorcycle was to aggressive in this case and was 100% at fault.  He could have been inexperienced in motorcycles. I wonder if he even had a valid, motorcycle license or if he was  under the influence of alcohol or drugs. 

I investigated motor vehicle accidents for 30 years. One of the biggest mistakes aggressive motorcycle operators make is passing on the left of a vehicle turning left.

Most are fatal accidents with the inertia forcing the operator to the pavement with the head hitting the pavement, curbs, parked vehicles, fences, walls, or signage.

The big bikes at high speed are the worse offenders and most never go home and if they do it's in a wheel chair.

As my above post.  The car driver passed the bike then cut him up to make his turn.  You are an accident investigator ?

You claim he tried to undertake the car, I claim he was braking when he saw  the car was going to  cut him up. If he had been trying to undertake he wouldn't have fallen off at the back of the car. He would have been rolled under the wheels and pancaked.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Please quote to place your response in context...  I (we) are not sure who's post you are referring to. 

If it was mine, please read again, we are in agreement. 

I wasn't referring to a specific post, I read the first page and everyone is blaming the  biker.

It is interesting how and why most members "see" the motorbike as trying to "undertake" the pick up. 

After viewing about 10 times, my observation was the same on view 10 as it was on view 1.  

What I see is the pick up making an abrupt, "screw you, me first" turn after cutting in front of the motorcycle who was riding along minding his own business. 

The illusion of the mc speeding up is strictly that, "an illusion". It is the pick up slowing down to turn after an abrupt lane change in front of the mc that gives the illusionary effect. 

We have all been involved in a situation like this whether riding an mc or driving a vehicle.  Me first !!!!! Happens all over the world. 

8 hours ago, overherebc said:

As a biker since I was 16, a long time ago,  I still say the guy on the bike was your standard biker idiot who just assumed that all other vehicles 2 or 4 wheels should pay attention to him and get out of his rightful self assumed way. It's still a mindset here that the bigger vehicle must be at fault. Just because there is a bike lane on the left side of the road that idiots believe can be used no matter what direction they are travelling doesn't mean they have the right of way they assume they have.

If you watch then video slowly you can see the pickup actually came from the 2nd lane, into the first then across the hard shoulder to turn in. All done without a blinker.

The biker is ignorant but he has no liability. 

No helmet and driving like an idiot, standard Thai behavior on a bike,happens hundreds if not thousands of times everyday......Overtaking is done to the right anything else is insane but unfortunately it is the Thai way no to do so.....Even so the truck did come from the far lane and pulled into the path of the bike which demonstrates another Thai driver issue, complete and utter lack of spatial orientation and the need to stop at every gas station/coffee shop at the very last moment.

Edited by just.a.thought

NO great loss to the bike rider. I have seen this too many times on Phuket to even care anymore. Call it Karma. They just don't look nor anticipate that the little winking light signals turning. Tough TIT.

Edited by Inepto Cracy
spelling

6 hours ago, neeray said:

The illusion of the mc speeding up is strictly that, "an illusion". It is the pick up slowing down to turn after an abrupt lane change in front of the mc that gives the illusionary effect. 

We have all been involved in a situation like this whether riding an mc or driving a vehicle.  Me first !!!!! Happens all over the world. 

I support this view.

Here in Thailand I saw this more often than anywhere else. A car overtakes another vehicle on the second lane. The car driver seems to forget the other vehicle, slows down with or without braking and suddenly turns left.

With or without overtaking another vehicle many drivers tend here to turn left from the second lane. They do not change to the left lane in advance.

Of course often the driver of the other vehicle could avoid the accident when driving careful and watching out as I did myself a couple of times.

Edited by willi2006
adding line brakes

It's called situational awareness. When a four wheeled vehicle and a two wheeled vehicle collide, who loses? On two wheels, you have to stay alert at all times even if a four wheeled vehicle driver does something stupid. It's called common sense.

Yet another example in support of why I am often saying and practice myself when out on my motorcycle.

1. Never ride ride in the so called ''motorcycle lane'' and

2. Never pass another vehicle on the inside.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yet another example in support of why I am often saying and practice myself when out in  my car.

1. Check behind carefully when turning left for an approaching motorcycle.

2. If possible move right over to the left and block the so called 'motorcycle lane' to prevent this kind of incident.

Defensive driving------------Defensive driving------------Defensive driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Moonlover

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

Yet another example in support of why I am often saying and practice myself when out on my motorcycle.

1. Never ride ride in the so called ''motorcycle lane'' and

2. Never pass another vehicle on the inside.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yet another example in support of why I am often saying and practice myself when out in  my car.

1. Check behind carefully when turning left for an approaching motorcycle.

2. If possible move right over to the left and block the so called 'motorcycle lane' to prevent this kind of incident.

Defensive driving------------Defensive driving------------Defensive driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your last "repeated" words says it all. 

DEFENSIVE DRIVING !