Renewal of UK Driving Licence (heads up)

Hi ! folk ,.

You can now renew your UK driving licence online  ..very very quick and efficient...... I registered and applied online on Tuesday (am) 16th May 2017   and the new driving licence arrived at a UK address on Friday (am)  19th May 2017  and is now being kindly forwarded to me by recorded airmail .

At last a online service that actually delivers . see attached link below.  (just copy & paste)

https://motoring.direct.gov.uk/service/DvoConsumer.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=PRN&_nfls=false

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

The governement gateway option to renew a UK license has been around for years, I used it to renew my UK license over six years ago whilst living in Thailand (which is illegal by the way but hey).

Not illegal if you are still linked/registered  to a UK address..   (but hey) 

6 minutes ago, banglay said:

Yes I do understand that workaround, but UK DVLC rules (technically) say that if you leave the UK to live in another country you must surrender your UK license and get one from your country of residence, the fact that most of us don't and that some of you use a UK accommodation address doesn't make it legal.

FWIW I used to be really precious about my UK license but after 15 years I've come to realise that my Thai license is far more useful, it makes renting a car in the UK much much easier since there are no DVLC checks and every car rental agency accepts it without question. It also means I can buy an annual car insurance excess policy which costs about 35 Pounds and means I don't have to buy rental agency insurance products and that saves a lot of money.

Edited by simoh1490
15 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Yes I do understand that workaround, but UK DVLC rules (technically) say that if you leave the UK to live in another country you must surrender your UK license and get one from your country of residence, the fact that most of us don't and that some of you use a UK accommodation address doesn't make it legal.

FWIW I used to be really precious about my UK license but after 15 years I've come to realise that my Thai license is far more useful, it makes renting a car in the UK much much easier since there are no DVLC checks and every car rental agency accepts it without question. It also means I can buy an annual car insurance excess policy which costs about 35 Pounds and means I don't have to buy rental agency insurance products and that saves a lot of money.

"I can buy an annual car insurance excess policy which costs about 35 Pounds".....  sounds/is very interesting can you tell me which company do you use and a  web link would be very handy in deed .. cheers 

Edited by banglay
Just now, banglay said:

"I can buy an annual car insurance excess policy which costs about 35 Pounds".....  sound/is very interesting can you tell me which company do you use and a  web link would be very handy in deed .. cheers 

I use this one (courtesy of OG):

https://www.icarhireinsurance.com/#0

But this is another option:

Also, a similar policy paid out to me about four years ago when somebody hit my rental car in a supermarket parking lot - they paid out fully and within four weeks.

https://www.worldwideinsure.com/car-hire-excess-insurance.php

2 hours ago, banglay said:

Incorrect.  

The declaration cleary asks asks you to state that you are UK Resident.

Anyway, it's a great get out of jail card, so why would you???

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Yes I do understand that workaround, but UK DVLC rules (technically) say that if you leave the UK to live in another country you must surrender your UK license and get one from your country of residence,

Where did you see this? I can't find it on the DVLA website ?

2 hours ago, banglay said:

Wrong,as others have said you need to give up your UK licence when out of the country for more than three months. And beware I had mine withdrawn after they received information that I was no longer a permanent UK resident, nothing to do with having an address there, from what is now Border Patrol or something like that. Immigration in the UK does communicate with tax office, licensing authorities etc. so beware.

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

The governement gateway option to renew a UK license has been around for years, I used it to renew my UK license over six years ago whilst living in Thailand (which is illegal by the way but hey).

It doesn't mater what's illegal and what's not, if it suits you and you can get away with it then good, just as long as no ordinary person is inconvenienced.

18 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

Sorry, maybe I am stupid, but I still can not see where it says that you have to surrender your British licence ?

No I could not find it either - only this -

If you’re moving abroad

You can’t register your new address on your British driving licence. Contact the driving licence authority in your new country of residence.

And I looked at most of the other pages to do with licences............

35 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

Sorry, maybe I am stupid, but I still can not see where it says that you have to surrender your British licence ?

If the law says you MUST register your new address AND that you MUST be a resident of Great Britain AND you CANNOT register an overseas address, your only option is to surrender it - which as I recall is written somewhere in one set of rules or other which given time, I will find and post.

Too hire a car in the UK you have to provide 2 proof of address, Licence plus Utility Bill/Bank Statement.

i Hire a car when I go back and they always ask, I always use a separate Insurance too protect my excess.

Edited by jamie2009
12 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

Too hire a car in the UK you have to provide 2 proof of address, Licence plus Utility Bill/Bank Statement.

i Hire a car when I go back and they always ask, I always use a separate Insurance too protect my excess.

Not if you can show them a Thai license you don't.

In many, many years, I've never had a problem and in these days of booking online, it's even easier.

16 minutes ago, GBK said:

Not if you can show them a Thai license you don't.

In many, many years, I've never had a problem and in these days of booking online, it's even easier.

To be honest I don't understand why they ask a UK Resident too provide proof of address when many of their customers from abroad can't but can still hire a car.

2 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

To be honest I don't understand why they ask a UK Resident too provide proof of address when many of their customers from abroad can't but can still hire a car.

So that they can chase you with traffic tickets that we can walk away from. ;-)

Just now, GBK said:

Spoken in jest perhaps but true. Holders of overseas licenses can be asked to pay on the spot.

As said earlier I was involved in an accident in the UK a few years ago whilst driving on my Thai license in a rental car, when I made the police report Avon Somerset Police didn't bat an eye when I asked which license they'd prefer - ditto when I got pulled over and ticketed for using my mobile phone whilst driving, on that occasion the police, nice guys both, said they'd prefer to ticker my UK license which they did (and I paid the fine via the internet from Thailand)!

1 minute ago, GBK said:

They will just deduct it from your Credit Card, you authorise that when up sign up.

Big scam in Spain recently when people returned the Hire Car. The following month money was taken from people's Credit Cards for 'damage' to the car.

5 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Spoken in jest perhaps but true. Holders of overseas licenses can be asked to pay on the spot.

As said earlier I was involved in an accident in the UK a few years ago whilst driving on my Thai license in a rental car, when I made the police report Avon Somerset Police didn't bat an eye when I asked which license they'd prefer - ditto when I got pulled over and ticketed for using my mobile phone whilst driving, on that occasion the police, nice guys both, said they'd prefer to ticker my UK license which they did (and I paid the fine via the internet from Thailand)!

They want your UK Licence so they can put points on it, no new paper Licences in the UK now but Hire Car Compamies call the DVLC to check, they ask for your permission first.

25 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

They will just deduct it from your Credit Card, you authorise that when up sign up.

Yes you do, but if you call the card company and say your card was stolen the day before the alleged offence you're all clear.

So im ahem, told.

Does anyone know if you can apply for the international driving permit online? I always found it a pain to have to get it done in person in the UK. I've not been back for 2 years now so my last one is well out of date. 

Just wondering. . . I don't drive. but my wife has held a driving licence for 18 months. We hoped to take a summer holiday in the UK and hire a car so she could drive us around.

However, she is adamant that she cannot legally drive in Britain until she gets her "full" Thai licence after holding her licence for two years - which won't be until the end of October.

Is she right - and if she is, does anyone know a get-around to avoid us having to put off our planned UK trip until next year?

8 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Just wondering. . . I don't drive. but my wife has held a driving licence for 18 months. We hoped to take a summer holiday in the UK and hire a car so she could drive us around.

However, she is adamant that she cannot legally drive in Britain until she gets her "full" Thai licence after holding her licence for two years - which won't be until the end of October.

Is she right - and if she is, does anyone know a get-around to avoid us having to put off our planned UK trip until next year?

If me I would phone the UK DVLA....:smile:

2 hours ago, transam said:

As I am a non immigrant in LOS, which means they can chuck me out at any time, I will keep my UK license....:stoner:

Ditto me. Never had a burning desire to get behind the steering wheel of a moving vehicle on the highways and byeways of LOS in any case, and am more than happy for Mrs OJAS to chauffeur me to wherever I want/need to go.:smile:

13 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Ditto me. Never had a burning desire to get behind the steering wheel of a moving vehicle on the highways and byeways of LOS in any case, and am more than happy for Mrs OJAS to chauffeur me to wherever I want/need to go.:smile:

If I had a prob with UK DVLA I would just tell them I can/will never be accepted or given permanent residency in Thailand even though l am married to a Thai and raised kids, unlike Thai folk coming to the UK, so I keep my UK license...:stoner: