Approval of President Trump drops to lowest since inauguration - Reuters/Ipsos

rooster59

Approval of President Trump drops to lowest since inauguration - Reuters/Ipsos

By Chris Kahn

640x640 (1).jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump stops to give a thumbs up as he departs the White House to embark on a trip to the Middle East and Europe, in Washington, U.S., May 19, 2017. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Public approval of President Donald Trump has dropped to its lowest level since his inauguration, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Friday, after Trump was accused of mishandling classified information and meddling with an FBI investigation.

The May 14-18 opinion poll found that 38 percent of adults approved of Trump while 56 percent disapproved. The remaining 6 percent had "mixed feelings."

Americans appear to have soured on Trump after a tumultuous week in the White House during which the president fought back a steady drumbeat of critical news reports that ramped up concerns about his administration’s ties to Russia.

The week started with revelations that Trump shared highly classified information with Russian diplomats in a private meeting. That was followed by reports that former Federal Bureau of Investigation Director James Comey, whom Trump recently fired, had written memos expressing concerns that the president had pressured him to stop investigating Trump campaign ties to Russia.

Later in the week, the Justice Department appointed former FBI Director Robert Mueller to oversee an independent probe into contacts between Russia and the Trump campaign.

Trump has denied colluding with the Russians and called ongoing efforts to investigate him a "witch hunt." No politician in history, he said, "has been treated worse or more unfairly."

While Trump remains popular with members of his own party, many rank-and-file Republicans appear to have backed off their support for the president during the past week.

Among Republicans, 23 percent expressed disapproval of Trump in the latest poll, up from 16 percent in the same poll last week. The decline in support from Republicans appears to be a primary reason why Trump's overall approval rating is now at the lowest level since he took office.

The Reuters/Ipsos poll was conducted online in English across the United States. It gathered responses from 1,971 adults, including 721 Republicans and 795 Democrats. It has a credibility interval, a measure of accuracy, of 3 percentage points for the entire group and 4 percentage points for the Democrats and Republicans.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-20

Yes, no surprise, but for there to be much of hope of well deserved impeachment (financial corruption / obstruction of justice), the disapproval level among REPUBLICANS will probably need to drop by about 20 percent, as republicans control congress.

Clearly trump is strongly competitive as the worst president in U.S. history.

He even makes Nixon look good by comparison. 

To add, I expect some people may try to attack the credibility of this poll because more democrats than republicans were sampled. That was of course intentional as in the USA there are many more democrats than republicans. 

Edited by Jingthing

Couple observations:

1) This likely marks the highest ratings he'll receive prior to ultimate removal or resigning

(and even FOX has him in low 40's)

2) Unfortunately this also means he'll need another wag-the-dog distraction but more YUGE

(and soon... N Korea or other...)

rcptrump2070517.jpg

Edited by sujoop

41 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

... I expect some people may try to attack the credibility of this poll because more democrats than republicans were sampled. That was of course intentional as in the USA there are many more democrats than republicans. 

LOL

2 minutes ago, Luckysilk said:

Same pollsters who said we'd being saying Madame President.

Who cares anyway, he's not going anywhere.

That national polls predicted an average avantage for Clinton of 3 percent. She won the popular vote by 2 percent. And it does matter to his agenda. Congress is much less likely to support someone who is perceived as being massively unpopular.

Edited by ilostmypassword

6 minutes ago, Luckysilk said:

And they were almost correct.

Hillary Clinton won the popular vote solidly, just as projected by the polls.

They missed the four states that gave trump the electoral win, which were won by trump by VERY THIN margins. 

So don't try to push the big lie that the presidential polls were that far off, because they were not. 

As far as trump not going anywhere, perhaps not, we can't predict the future.

However, something that can be said with high certainty is that a president with very low approval ratings (not to mention almost non-stop scandals) is greatly crippled in passing his legislative agenda. Possibly less severe as republicans control congress, which is why the republican approval rating is the key to this whole thing. It is still strong enough to help him stay in office ... but getting SHAKY. 

Edited by Jingthing

32 minutes ago, Luckysilk said:

Still heading for the abyss if that counts as going somewhere.   I agree the term Madame President was premature as we will have to wait until Mrs Obama takes the presidency for that!

12 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Still heading for the abyss if that counts as going somewhere.   I agree the term Madame President was premature as we will have to wait until Mrs Obama takes the presidency for that!

Great reply, made me smile :)

Hope your wrong but who knows the future.

Edited by Luckysilk
Spelling

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

What staggers me is that an amazingly high, 38% still seem to think he is doing a good job. Talk about delusional.

I am thinking of exactly the same my friend. I wonder that the definition of a good job is for these 38%.

To those who say that the Republicans control both houses and impeachment is impossible, I say  2018 is around the corner.

23 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

Maybe his adviser/daughter can talk him into concept that ratings are like golf scores, lower the better

I always wondered why saying his performance was below par meant bad. President DT hasn't dropped in my estimation, he started at rock bottom.

Edited by halloween

7 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

I googled re Democrats and couldnt find anything like that for the past few years.

Alot of polls out last week, general opinion is the party is out of touch with the electorate.  They're not doing much better then trump.

"Do you approve or disapprove of the way the Democrats in Congress are handling their job?"

Approve Disapprove Unsure    
    % % %    

5/4-9/17

http://www.pollingreport.com/cong_dem.htm

34 58 9

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

What staggers me is that an amazingly high, 38% still seem to think he is doing a good job. Talk about delusional.

I would be generous in not saying "delusional" but rather blindly hopeful.....OK, OK, I agree!

I guess the time is coming. Go back to your own old fashion business and leave the White House to REAL politicians. And stop doing monkey business with a country that has a great reputation and it definitely does not need "you" to become great again.

This country has always been great and will be. 

It is time for the republican party to grow some balls and accept that Trump is a moron and should be removed.  That way they may just regain their own credibility.

Yes but he can't legitimately be removed only for being a moron.

2 minutes ago, Credo said:

I can only go back and continue to agree with Obama's statement:   "Trump is woefully unfit to be President."

I wouldn't put too much thought into what the worst President of the U.S. has to say.

4 minutes ago, Crowes said:

I wouldn't put too much thought into what the worst President of the U.S. has to say.

I don't.    I seldom put much thought in to what Trump says.    I should add that Trump doesn't usually put much thought into what he says either.   

16 minutes ago, Crowes said:

I wouldn't put too much thought into an erroneous, baseless, absurd statement such as yours.

Obviously, you haven't either...

:coffee1:

Edited by iReason

I wouldn't put too much thought into an erroneous, baseless, absurd statement such as yours.

Obviously, you haven't either...

:coffee1:

Most common sense observers will put Trump at the bottom of the pile. Just look at what comes out of his mouth. Look how he throws his staff under the bus. How he brags and pontficates over and over about fake news facts. When facts are by definition, truth.

His approval ratings are so low because he has no agenda other than self-aggrandizement and self promotion.   He threw out a few catchy crumbs, but drops everything as soon as it becomes 'complicated.'