A Retiree's Choice of Partner

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Know what you mean about the 'old people smell' - but to look on the bright side its only obviously apparent in very confined spaces.

I can still remember the shock of putting on hubby's diving mask (for some reason that escapes me), and immediately being shocked at the smell :sad:.

Edit - Just remembered, we were trying on dive masks in a shop.  Hubby tried the mask first and had it on for a while as he liked it.  He then passed it to me to try on and the 'old person' smell hit me immediately :sad:.

How do you know that you didn't have the same smell. Maybe you should have tried the mask first. What do they say, a fox never smells his own stink.

Edited by giddyup

17 hours ago, bannork said:

A good book should be loved and cherished, it's something that should be alongside one for the whole of your life. It's part of your psyche and soul. To rent such a treasure is to cheapen yourself.

Don't judge it by its cover, you may not fully understand the contents on first reading. A second or third study may be necessary to fully appreciate its depth and beauty.

Wow!  A Thai Visa member with a heart!  There aren't many of us left.  :sleep:

18 hours ago, xerostar said:

In the other extreme, I could find a farm girl who "I could be with all day long", but I would soon get bored, with nothing to talk about except how fast the weeds were growing, or when is it going to rain ?

If you have a curiosity about farming in Thailand this could be the way to go. A farmer is much closer to nature than a bar girl. The conversation doesn't have to be about 'weeds' or 'rain'. No,no,no!!! There are more sophisticated ways of talking. Start by saying that 'the buffalo look sad today' or 'where is my hoe'. Imagination!! Learn 'farming' Thai.

Don't take too much heed of the 'advice' offered here on Tvisa. And you can disregard this post as utter b-----ks if you wish. In the end you have to decide for yourself. But remember you are doing the world a better service by helping nature than by sitting on a bar stool.

Are you telling me you cant afford 10000-12000 bht to pay any working girl to stop working. Beleive me... Right now your choice is the best of all. You dont want a girl 24/7 with you. You want quality time 2-3 hours a day. Otherwise i guarantee you it will be alot of money spent on shopping and food etc. Give any working girl 5000 bht every month and she happily sleep in your bed every night. 

6 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Wow!  A Thai Visa member with a heart!  There aren't many of us left.  :sleep:

Over time those books have brown stains that mysteriously appear... water marks... tatty spines... dusty, smelly and difficult to remember that shiny, new volume staring down at you from your local book department.

Over 45 years and  those covers start to sag Southwards and the ending is known, and has been 'known' , many, many times.

Put it back on the shelf and get a new Thriller that's recently been published! 

Just now, LannaGuy said:

Over time those books have brown stains that mysteriously appear... water marks... tatty spines... dusty, smelly and difficult to remember that shiny, new volume staring down at you from your local book department.

Over 45 years and  those covers start to sag Southwards and the ending is known, and has been 'known' , many, many times.

Yeah, but you're reading that new "thriller" with tired old rheumy eyes that can barely focus, and usually fall asleep after half a page.

3 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Nice one LannaGuy but it's not the ending that's important, all 'books' end the same way.

It's the language inside that keeps you turning the pages- enchanting, beguiling, comforting and sometimes comical.

17 minutes ago, giddyup said:

How do you know that you didn't have the same smell. Maybe you should have tried the mask first.

You're missing the point that it was the first time the smell 'hit me'.

Perhaps I did have the same smell?  I never mentioned it to hubby and so its likely he wouldn't mention it to me.  Now I'm sure I have the same 'old people' smell as I smell it every now and again when getting up and going downstairs in the morning :sad:.

But to look on the bright side, its only obvious in confined spaces.

5 minutes ago, bannork said:

Nice one LannaGuy but it's not the ending that's important, all 'books' end the same way.

It's the language inside that keeps you turning the pages- enchanting, beguiling, comforting and sometimes comical.

not 'all' books... some have looong endings and some are 'short' endings

some end with a splurt and some with a proverbial BANG

some are like War and Peace and some are more like a Batman comic

unfortunately, unlike wine, books usually do not taste better when 'mature'  far better to turn those lovely new pages, glance at the headlines and dip into the introduction and, once read, carefully and respectfully put back for another to read anew 

don't forget what Tolstoy said "you don't really own a book it's just your turn to read it"

Just now, dick dasterdly said:

You're missing the point that it was the first time the smell 'hit me'.

Perhaps I did have the same smell?  I never mentioned it to hubby and so its likely he wouldn't mention it to me.  Now I'm sure I have the same 'old people' smell as I smell it every now and again when getting up and going downstairs in the morning :sad:.

But to look on the bright side, its only obvious in confined spaces.

Maybe it was the rubber mask that had the musty smell. My father lived to 85 and I can honestly say I never smelled "old person" smell on him. As to myself, maybe I do, maybe I don't, no one has commented, but all you can do is keep yourself and your clothes clean. There are some immature members here who seem to think they will never get old, maybe they won't, and take satisfaction out of ridiculing the elderly. Truly pathetic human beings.

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm always suprised at how so many people (the VAST majority) need a live-in partner once they've retired - especially as they've (likely) already been through bad relationships!

Perhaps it is because they don't want to be discovered alone in their home by means of a foul smell, having been dead for several days?

That was not my prime motivation by any means when I was trying to find a girlfriend/partner.  Using a dating agency, I met and dated about 15 girls all of whom were considerably younger than me but only one really caught my eye.  I am an active 76 year old and she is 51and very attractive, often being mistaken for about 40.  She has a Uni degree and speaks and writes very good English, which means there are very few misunderstandings between us.  Like me, she keeps up to date with all the world news etc so we have plenty to chat about,  I have hobbies too which I can follow while she is busy with customers on the internet.. Again, like me, she loves gardening and also holds the equivalent of UK "coffee mornings" with her girl neighbours in our small thatched garden room. She is very popular and has made many friends in our village, most of whom are Thai girls also married to farangs and she also gets on well with my 10 year old son from a previous marriage, who is supported by me financially and who stays with us during his school holidays.

She has lived with me for two years after giving up her small business selling ladies clothes in her town 600 km from me but now has a small business operated via the internet from our home..  This provides her with a very interesting "hobby" which also provides her with more pocket money than she could earn in an office in Bangkok.  This arrangement suits us both and we have a very loving relationship in which she takes care of me and sometimes even sends me sentmental notes thanking me for everything, which bring tears to my eyes.  I consider myself to be extremely lucky to have found this lovely lady who I will marry later this year and I will make  sure that she is OK financially long after I am gone.

3 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Perhaps it is because they don't want to be discovered alone in their home by means of a foul smell, having been dead for several days?

That was not my prime motivation by any means when I was trying to find a girlfriend/partner.  Using a dating agency, I met and dated about 15 girls all of whom were considerably younger than me but only one really caught my eye.  I am an active 76 year old and she is 51and very attractive, often being mistaken for about 40.  She has a Uni degree and speaks and writes very good English, which means there are very few misunderstandings between us.  Like me, she keeps up to date with all the world news etc so we have plenty to chat about,  I have hobbies too which I can follow while she is busy with customers on the internet.. Again, like me, she loves gardening and also holds the equivalent of UK "coffee mornings" with her girl neighbours in our small thatched garden room. She is very popular and has made many friends in our village, most of whom are Thai girls also married to farangs and she also gets on well with my 10 year old son from a previous marriage, who is supported by me financially and who stays with us during his school holidays.

She has lived with me for two years after giving up her small business selling ladies clothes in her town 600 km from me but now has a small business operated via the internet from our home..  This provides her with a very interesting "hobby" which also provides her with more pocket money than she could earn in an office in Bangkok.  This arrangement suits us both and we have a very loving relationship in which she takes care of me and sometimes even sends me sentmental notes thanking me for everything, which bring tears to my eyes.  I consider myself to be extremely lucky to have found this lovely lady who I will marry later this year and I will make  sure that she is OK financially long after I am gone.

Nice and I totally understand why you are doing it @ 76  - good luck

It seems to me these 2 concurrent themes are merging; the 'smell' of old people and the decay of musty old books .

I bow my head to LannaGuy in acknowledging that a new book is certainly more fragrant. With a gentle parting of the pages, a reader can enjoy the delightful  scent of freshly cut paper, yet it may only be a fleeting pleasure that quickly vanishes once the reader engages the vacuous prose. 

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

I was am in the same boat.  I came here and wanted to retire and just enjoy life.  That got boring.  my wife is 20 years younger than me works and I have started to work also as a teacher on the side just to get away from the boredom.

We get a day off together once a week and it is our time.  We go out and enjoy the day together.  Holidays are a time for us to get away and enjoy things also.

Much the same lifestyle as I would have at home country only less stress and no nagging wife.

just grab a banger down at nana or cowboy and you can sit at the bar and enjoy her company all day long ... then when your both in bed it's on again .... :shock1:

46 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Have you ever thought of writing a book yourself?

44 minutes ago, sead said:

Are you telling me you cant afford 10000-12000 bht to pay any working girl to stop working. Beleive me... Right now your choice is the best of all. You dont want a girl 24/7 with you. You want quality time 2-3 hours a day. Otherwise i guarantee you it will be alot of money spent on shopping and food etc. Give any working girl 5000 bht every month and she happily sleep in your bed every night. 

Im asking myself, do these guys who pay wonen 10-12k/m have allowed for this in their retirement budget? 

How long you keep it up? Your money never run out?

That amount is higher than is welfare in many countries.crazy!

They must be rockerfellers. My expenses already 60k/m.

Only time i pay wages is to someone who actually make me money, and i stop being in business years ago

13 minutes ago, bannork said:

It seems to me these 2 concurrent themes are merging; the 'smell' of old people and the decay of musty old books .

I bow my head to LannaGuy in acknowledging that a new book is certainly more fragrant. With a gentle parting of the pages, a reader can enjoy the delightful  scent of freshly cut paper, yet it may only be a fleeting pleasure that quickly vanishes once the reader engages the vacuous prose. 

This subject seems to have discovered several potential authors or poets!

1 hour ago, LannaGuy said:

The OP asks a very good question. I can only speak from personal experience.

In your fifties and sixties, screwing everything available here ( and there is a lot ) can be exciting. In your seventies, it gets to be boring.

I've had a Thai GF for 7 years now. We will never get married for a number of reasons. She will be well looked after when I'm gone. She is 24 years younger than me. She has one daughter, two grandchildren and an extended family. All of that family will come to my aid if I have problems.

The bargain most of us strike is financial support in return for companionship and care. While it's fashionable to think of Thai women as shallow, there are a lot of hard-working ones out there. It does help if one can speak passable Thai.

As far as fun and games in bed goes, she knows how to push all my buttons. It might not be as frequent for both of us, but still very enjoyable. She is quite uncanny in picking when I am in the mood, and responding accordingly. No headaches with this one.

A gorgeous 20 yo might be exciting, but it's inevitable she will stray because older guys won't be able to keep up. Better to pick one that's slowing down a bit herself, but still knows what it's all about.

Thai women do have an advantage. Many of them look as if they are thirty when they are in their late forties.

Good luck with the selection process, OP.

3 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

In your fifties and sixties, screwing everything available here ( and there is a lot ) can be exciting. In your seventies, it gets to be boring.

so you were and probably still are a SEX tourist  ....

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Know what you mean about the 'old people smell' - but to look on the bright side its only obviously apparent in very confined spaces.

It shouldn't be apparent at all with proper hygiene. Shower daily, twice if necessary, use deodorant, fresh clothes every day. Not rocket science.

I'm reminded of the jibe about Brits, who historically don't have a good reputation in that regard. Having travelled on the London Tube, I can understand that.

Q. How do you get an Englishman out of the bath?

A. Throw in a bar of soap.

Aim for a younger woman. One that needs to attend Uni for a few years will only be away for school hours and by the time she has graduated you will have another year or two before she finds a suitable job. By that time you maybe pushing up daisys.

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

As I pointed out earlier, my partner loves her garden and can spend hours a day toiling away, but I have seen cases where the wife starts drinking or gambling (or philandering) to fill the boredom. Unfortunately, not everyone, myself included, has a passionate hobby. I do love to read though, and I have been retired 15 years, so have adjusted quite well to idleness.

I'm sure you have this one in your collection....

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/623922.How_to_Be_Idle

Firstly I would hope that you have a retirement visa .  I wouldn't recommend marrying a Thai woman , there are cultural differences that can make marriage difficult , nearly all Thai women are interested in a foreign man primarily for his money and many men get taken to the cleaners .  If pressed to marry a Thai style wedding is sufficient and not legally binding , so you can pack your bags and leave .  It is useful to find a woman with her own house , don't buy a house , lease or rent .  One of the problems with older women , is that many post menopause lose interest in sex ; kissing , cuddling and caressing are not general practiced by Thai's .  Thailand is full of pretty and beautiful women , but psychology and thinking is quite different from western people .  Pdaz is right when he says " Why buy the book , when there a library in town . "