Karon down to Rawai

Patong2

Driving down to Rawai area for lunch, anyone any favourite places for a lunch.
Euro or Thai food, cheapo or more, just looking for somewhere different.

Naketa's has a nice view but feel like something different.

53 minutes ago, sekmet said:

Try Sala mex

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

There are now two Sala Mexicali restaurants.

Only been there once, many years ago. Good food, but, wasn't impressed with the nearly one hour wait.......and I was the only customer.

Has it changed in this respect?

Phuket Yacht Club (open to non-members).   From Chalong Circle onto Chaofa East, about 1 km, turn right.   Good views, good food.   An excellent Sunday roast lunch for 370 baht.   Live guitarist between 2 and 5 p.m.

Just now, pagallim said:

Phuket Yacht Club (open to non-members).   From Chalong Circle onto Chaofa East, about 1 km, turn right.   Good views, good food.   An excellent Sunday roast lunch for 370 baht.   Live guitarist between 2 and 5 p.m.

pag .... have they 'tidied' up that place. I've had a look a few times and been turned off with the scruffiness of the seating area.

Sabai Corner, along the southern coast of Kata, is great.  There's a little road just south of the Karon view point, on the road from Kata to Rawai, that goes down the hill toward the water. If you take that road, Sabai Corner is near the end. Here's the location on Google Maps:  https://goo.gl/maps/1vWi76Dbaqv

Menu includes Thai and European food. Medium priced, by Phuket standards.

28 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

pag .... have they 'tidied' up that place. I've had a look a few times and been turned off with the scruffiness of the seating area.

Kim (Kiwi) and Pia have the place well organised, and have great staff.   Always clean and tidy, with tables cleared as soon as they're vacated.

3 minutes ago, pagallim said:

Kim (Kiwi) and Pia have the place well organised, and have great staff.   Always clean and tidy, with tables cleared as soon as they're vacated.

I will have another look. I trust your judgement about eateries.  

34 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

The roast at the PYC doesn't have roast potatoes and is more expensive than Happy Days (which I personally think is better).

Actually it does, as well as mashed potatoes, roast pumpkin, mixed veggies, Yorkshire Pudding, mint sauce with the lamb, and a slice of excellent ciabatta bread and butter.

This last Sunday..........

20170514_131628#1.jpg

9 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I'm a little confused at what " scruffiness of seating area means.

I've always found the tables well set out and (for Asia) very well spaced.

Kim's food is excellent and the atmosphere and views are great. Service very good.

Be aware Sundays are yachting days and you may find yourself inundated by animated hoards noisily discussing the day's events on the water.. 

Just now, Old Croc said:

I'm a little confused at what " scruffiness of seating area means.

I've always found the tables well set out and (for Asia) very well spaced.

Kim's food is excellent and the atmosphere and views are great. Service very good.

Be aware Sundays are yachting days and you may find yourself inundated by animated hoards noisily discussing the day's events on the water.. 

Very fair question. Most Yacht Clubs I've visited worldwide present the vision of glamour even luxury, and I am prepared to pay for that. This PYC is on a little road behind an abandoned  building under construction (at least it was last time I looked)  and on eventual arrival at the club  it's hardly glamarous. Scruffy or shabby were my thoughts when I sought this place out on 2 previous occasions.  Must admit that was a number of years ago and on pag's recommendation I will give Happy Days a miss and drive on to PYC for lunch very soon. To be honest I miss the days when Jimmy ran the Lighthouse.  In my opinin gone downhill with the last 2 operators.  Again I have not been back to Lighthouse for a few years. Happy Days has been my regular eatery.

7 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Very fair question. Most Yacht Clubs I've visited worldwide present the vision of glamour even luxury, and I am prepared to pay for that. This PYC is on a little road behind an abandoned  building under construction (at least it was last time I looked)  and on eventual arrival at the club  it's hardly glamarous. Scruffy or shabby were my thoughts when I sought this place out on 2 previous occasions.  Must admit that was a number of years ago and on pag's recommendation I will give Happy Days a miss and drive on to PYC for lunch very soon. To be honest I miss the days when Jimmy ran the Lighthouse.  In my opinin gone downhill with the last 2 operators.  Again I have not been back to Lighthouse for a few years. Happy Days has been my regular eatery.

Wrong place LiK. That place used to be where the official Ao Chalong Yacht Club was. It's now down the dirt track to Ao Chalong Bungalows. They moved years ago.

The 'sailors' don't get ashore to the bar until late afternoon, and there are plenty of tables.

I'm there now. A couple of photos of the place....

20170521_125833.jpg20170521_125819.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

30 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Wrong place LiK. That place used to be where the official Ao Chalong Yacht Club was. It's now down the dirt track to Ao Chalong Bungalows. They moved years ago.

Fair enough.   Looking at pag's photos above it's clearly not the place I visited a few years ago. Now I need to hunt down this newer place - thanks. 

1 hour ago, pagallim said:

Actually it does, as well as mashed potatoes, roast pumpkin, mixed veggies, Yorkshire Pudding, mint sauce with the lamb, and a slice of excellent ciabatta bread and butter.

This last Sunday..........

20170514_131628#1.jpg

Nice one, I'm sold...by the way, it's should always be referred to as "Kiwi aftershave", not mint sauce..:ohmy:

55 minutes ago, pagallim said:

The 'sailors' don't get ashore to the bar until late afternoon, and there are plenty of tables.

I'm there now. A couple of photos of the place....

20170521_125833.jpg20170521_125819.jpg

Any idea what time they stop serving the roast today?

I've got no probs paying a few baht extra for the view, well worth it I recon.

4 minutes ago, pagallim said:

House wine is typical Mont Clair, though they have a reasonable selection by the glass or bottle.

20170521_140639.jpg

I' m drinking this at the moment...

20170521_140705.jpg

Got me feeling like a couple of chilled pinot grigio's now, might have to head over for some sundowners but this rains making it hard to do anything else bar relaxing on the sofa!

Archived