Penang - METV or double entry TV available?

Are multiple or double entry tourist visas available in Penang? IIRC last time I was there they would only issue a Single.

They were available in Suvannakhet last time I was there , a couple of years ago. Still available?

You can only get a multiple entry tourist visa (METV) in your home country or country of legal residence. Two entry tourist visas no longer exist since the METV became available. You can only get single entry tourist visa now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can only get a multiple entry tourist visa (METV) in your home country or country of legal residence. Two entry tourist visas no longer exist since the METV became available. You can only get single entry tourist visa now.

Depending on the consulate/embassy they might issue it even though you're not in your home country.. i.e I got an METV in my British passport at the Toronto , Canada consulate. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ck98 said:

Depending on the consulate/embassy they might issue it even though you're not in your home country.. i.e I got an METV in my British passport at the Toronto , Canada consulate. 

You're right, but that doesn't apply in SE Asia unless you're legally resident.

6 hours ago, ck98 said:

Were you just traveling in Canada or did you have some sort of longer term residency?

There have been some reports of METVs being given to some people in Australia who were not Australian or legal residents, but generally non-imm O-A and METV visas are only issued to non-citizens if they have some type of residency status in the county where the Thai embassy or consulate is located. I got my O-A from the Thai Consulate in Dubai on a US passport, but I was legally resident in the UAE at the time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, notmyself said:

Need to show a ticket out of the Kingdom within 60 days and proof of where you will be staying. No proof of funds needed as yet.

Not according to their website. 

"Visa Run to Penang, Malaysia

If you are getting your Thai Visa in Penang, here are the requirements.

For a Single Entry Tourist Visa, you will need just two passport-sized photos." http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/visa-run-penang.php

6 minutes ago, halloween said:

For a Single Entry Tourist Visa, you will need just two passport-sized photos." http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/visa-run-penang.php

That is a commercial website created by a law firm. This from the bottom of the page "This is NOT the official website of the Thai Embassy"

Things have recently changed at Penang.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is a commercial website created by a law firm. This from the bottom of the page "This is NOT the official website of the Thai Embassy"

Things have recently changed at Penang.

Okaaay. I have a flight home booked (and paid) in early October, but I assume that won't meet the requirement, looking at the official site. OTOH a B50 train ticket Had Yai - Padang Besar booked for after my 60 days would, as I also hold an air ticket KL-Oz. 

7 hours ago, halloween said:

As 'star member' ubonjoe states, a commercial website though to be fair, official websites for embassies are often inaccurate or not up to date. I checked with an agent I have used for years just a week or so back regarding present requirements and she said they had not changed from what they were 3 months back which is why I mentioned that proof of funds is not required 'as yet'. In a follow up question you asked if a rail ticket would suffice. I have no direct information on this though I would seriously doubt it. Member ubonjoe may have more information on this.

19 minutes ago, notmyself said:

As 'star member' ubonjoe states, a commercial website though to be fair, official websites for embassies are often inaccurate or not up to date. I checked with an agent I have used for years just a week or so back regarding present requirements and she said they had not changed from what they were 3 months back which is why I mentioned that proof of funds is not required 'as yet'. In a follow up question you asked if a rail ticket would suffice. I have no direct information on this though I would seriously doubt it. Member ubonjoe may have more information on this.

The official website states a return ticket or travel to a 3rd country. As I have a flight out of KL, surely a land crossing would be acceptable.

5 hours ago, halloween said:

The official website states a return ticket or travel to a 3rd country. As I have a flight out of KL, surely a land crossing would be acceptable.

As a long term participant in Thailand you should know that what is written is not necessarily how things pan out. Rules, regulations say that I am able to pop down to Sadao for a 30 day visa exempt entry (now only 2 per year) and with zero visa exempt entries in my now 4 year old passport it should not be a problem. Can I? No.

Double  or triple entry visas were stopped  at least a year ago, replaced by the METV which is only normally only given to native residents in their home country.

Don't remember  exactly when they were stopped but it may have been in  November 2015.

I had one of the last double entry Thai tourist visas  from Laos, but that expired at least a year ago.

SETV (Single Entry Tourist Visa) are sill available as far as I know.

A SETV can be extended for 30 days for a 1900 Baht at your local immigration office.

That will give you effectively a  90 day stays on  your original 60 day tourist visa 

On 5/22/2017 at 10:25 PM, notmyself said:

Need to show a ticket out of the Kingdom within 60 days and proof of where you will be staying. No proof of funds needed as yet.

Why a ticket out in 60 days when one can extend it for 30 days?

What tourist stays in one place their entire holiday? This is just barking.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What tourist stays in one place their entire holiday? This is just barking.

Some consulates allow an outgoing flight within 90-days of the date you state you plan to enter Thailand (on the visa-application form) - I obtained a TR in Savanahket with such a ticket.  I would check with the consulate in question (or your agent) for the policy at that location.
You only need proof of where you will be staying, initially.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Some consulates allow an outgoing flight within 90-days of the date you state you plan to enter Thailand (on the visa-application form) - I obtained a TR in Savanahket with such a ticket.  I would check with the consulate in question (or your agent) for the policy at that location.
You only need proof of where you will be staying, initially.

Many tourists, especially backpackers come without an address, and find a place on arrival. Mind you the way to get around that is well known by them.

What happened to travelling overland to neighbouring countries? 

What happens if I go to Penang to get a Tourist Visa and don't know how long I want to stay there?

These rules and regulations dreamed up by faceless bureaucrats only suck the enjoyment of life on the tourist road. Not everyone wants to plan every last second of every day while travelling.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Many tourists, especially backpackers come without an address, and find a place on arrival. Mind you the way to get around that is well known by them.

What happened to travelling overland to neighbouring countries? 

What happens if I go to Penang to get a Tourist Visa and don't know how long I want to stay there?

These rules and regulations dreamed up by faceless bureaucrats only suck the enjoyment of life on the tourist road. Not everyone wants to plan every last second of every day while travelling.

A agree - and I do not think these requirements could possibly make any difference with regard to stopping "bad guys," who could easily jump through the hoops. 

A higher "show me the money" requirement is the only sensible way to prevent visitors who could become liabilities, and the only step taken outside the country which could weed-out potential illegal-workers.  These should be the only rational concerns, other than criminal/national-security issues.  So, show 100K Baht in the bank to get a TR Visa at any consulate, and less-affluent short-term / occasional visitors (the vast majority) would use Visa-Exempts (or Visa on Arrival). Then, everyone would be happy, right?  Unfortunately, you and I do not make the rules.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Because the visa they are issuing only gives permission to stay for 60 days. Extensions are not guaranteed.

54 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I doubt that. A few might, but most 'backpackers' these days have there trips planned out. With the internet in their hands they will usually book (their initial) guest houses etc. before arriving. Westerners, with more than one brain cell, would not fly to Thailand without having accommodation booked or an idea of where they are going to stay.

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

I doubt that. A few might, but most 'backpackers' these days have there trips planned out. With the internet in their hands they will usually book (their initial) guest houses etc. before arriving. Westerners, with more than one brain cell, would not fly to Thailand without having accommodation booked or an idea of where they are going to stay.

I have stopped booking in-advance, because I have found that the rooms I booked are often of lower-quality than shown on the booking-websites.   An exception would be 2 weeks of peak-season.  But generally, in Thailand and across SE Asia, there are a zillion rooms available, and you can see the room first, and determine if it is clean / bug-free, really has wifi "in room," etc.  Ratings help, but are not foolproof, due to changing conditions / mgmt, and a significant difference from one room to the next in the same guesthouse.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

I don't think anyone's mentioned age.

If over 65 and receiving a government pension in the UK (any amount)

You can get a multiple entry 1 year Non O (from London only) Otherwise its S/E or METV as stated previously.

Edited by uptheos
addition to text

10 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I have stopped booking in-advance, because I have found that the rooms I booked are often of lower-quality than shown on the booking-websites.

I've stopped not booking in advance, after I found that even just Expedia gets me better places for a lower price and with reliable reviews, compared to what I would find driving and asking around with a great waste of time and energy.

On 5/24/2017 at 4:27 PM, elviajero said:

Wrong. I used to post on Lonely Planet and most backpackers on that looked for a place on arrival. Many places are not even on the internet- so much for your "internet" booking.

I've been coming to Thailand for many years and never needed to book an hotel before arriving. You seem to be an apologist for the bureaucrats and petty rules.

Thailand was "discovered" by backpackers that just arrived and looked around in unexplored places. Unfortunately, nit picking bureaucrats are doing their best to suck the life out of travelling freestyle.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2017 at 7:38 PM, JackThompson said:

I have stopped booking in-advance, because I have found that the rooms I booked are often of lower-quality than shown on the booking-websites.   An exception would be 2 weeks of peak-season.  But generally, in Thailand and across SE Asia, there are a zillion rooms available, and you can see the room first, and determine if it is clean / bug-free, really has wifi "in room," etc.  Ratings help, but are not foolproof, due to changing conditions / mgmt, and a significant difference from one room to the next in the same guesthouse.

True. Photos on the internet don't show the broken electric plugs and the holes in the mosquito screens in cheap places. Some are so disgusting that one would have to be stupid to stay in them. None of that is going to be obvious on an internet booking. Which is why I always look before paying- no refunds.

On 5/24/2017 at 4:19 PM, elviajero said:

Because the visa they are issuing only gives permission to stay for 60 days. Extensions are not guaranteed.

So, according to your theory, one must get a ticket for under 60 days just in case they don't grant an extension, and then pay a lot of money to change the ticket to the later date after extending.

How many people don't get an extension? I'll make a wild guess and say NONE.

What if I want to travel by train to Penang? Do I have to buy an air ticket and throw it away?

Used to be that one didn't need any onward air travel if one had a tourist visa. The world didn't end because of that.

34 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So, according to your theory, one must get a ticket for under 60 days just in case they don't grant an extension

No. I am stating a fact that you are getting a visa that only gives a 60 day permit to stay, which explains why they might insist on an onward flight within 60 days. The fact that extensions are available is irrelevant. It's possible to enter Thailand with a tourist visa and (legally) never leave.

8 minutes ago, elviajero said:

No. I am stating a fact that you are getting a visa that only gives a 60 day permit to stay, which explains why they might insist on an onward flight within 60 days. The fact that extensions are available is irrelevant. It's possible to enter Thailand with a tourist visa and (legally) never leave.

My point is that one didn't use to have to have a flight out at all if getting a TV. Nor should one for many reasons- simplest being that one may be following the tourist trail overland through Cambodia and Vietnam.

To force people to obtain a flight that one doesn't have to use just for petty bureaucratic reasons is illogical.

No need to point out that Bureaucrats are often illogical. I am well aware of their desire to make things as hard as possible.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Wrong. I used to post on Lonely Planet and most backpackers on that looked for a place on arrival. Many places are not even on the internet- so much for your "internet" booking

I know some do look for somewhere on arrival but the reason they use lonely planet is so they can plan where they want to stay, genius.

55 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've been coming to Thailand for many years and never needed to book an hotel before arriving.

And you are in a minority of the millions of visitors. I bet you still have an idea of where you are going to stay or return to the same places.

59 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thailand was "discovered" by backpackers that just arrived and looked around in unexplored places. Unfortunately, nit picking bureaucrats are doing their best to suck the life out of travelling freestyle.

No it wasn't. You need a history lesson.

Most backpackers these days don't "freestyle", they have things planned out and the support of agents.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My point is that one didn't use to have to have a flight out at all if getting a TV. Nor should one for many reasons- simplest being that one may be following the tourist trail overland through Cambodia and Vietnam.

To force people to obtain a flight that one doesn't have to use just for petty bureaucratic reasons is illogical.

The more visitor numbers increase the tougher they will get enforcing the rules. Simple as that.

Wanting the visitor to demonstrate an intention to leave is not unique to Thailand. Blame increased numbers, past overstayers, perpetual tourists, and illegal workers.