Fifteen arrested at Phuket cockfight

webfact

Fifteen arrested at Phuket cockfight

Eakkapop Thongtub

1495441986_1-org.jpg

The fifteen arrested gamblers who varied in age from 19-54. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Thalang Police arrested fifteen people yesterday when they were caught gambling on a cockfight being held in a garden of a property in Pa Khlok in Thalang.

At around 3.30pm yesterday (May 21), Col Sompong Thipapakul, Lt Col Amnuay Kraiwutanan, Lt Col Prasan Thoworn, and Capt Suchart Leucha of the Thalang Police arrived at a home in the Para village in Pa Khlok, Thalang to find about thirty loud and cheering participants watching a cockfight in the garden of the property.

All attempted to flee when police arrived.

Thalang Police reported to The Phuket News that of the thirty people, fifteen were apprehended while the others disappeared into the surrounding area.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/fifteen-arrested-at-phuket-cockfight-62250.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-05-22

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

If they want to they can arrest half Phuket every Sunday for this. Cockfights everywhere.

Reading the linked article, it seems they were arrested for possessing gambling equipment.

Abusing God's critters doesn't seem to be the issue.

Edit:  I also get tickled when I read stuff like this:

Officers confirmed that have made preliminary charges of illegal gambling and holding gambling assets without permission, and those found guilty will face legal prosecution.

I always thought you had to prosecute them before you found 'em guilty.

Edited by impulse

36 minutes ago, impulse said:

Reading the linked article, it seems they were arrested for possessing gambling equipment.

Officers confirmed that have made preliminary charges of illegal gambling and holding gambling assets without permission, and those found guilty will face legal prosecution.

Ok, let me adjust my sentence: Cockfights with gambling everywhere.

I was under the impression that cockfighting is not illegal in Thailand, but gambling on fights is.

The whole point of cock fighting is the gambling. Up our way, the biggest cock fight meeting is run by the police. They do the security. Nobody is allowed in unless they can show they've got a minimum 1000 baht on them to lose...

7 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

The whole point of cock fighting is the gambling. Up our way, the biggest cock fight meeting is run by the police. They do the security. Nobody is allowed in unless they can show they've got a minimum 1000 baht on them to lose...

Much the same around here. The land next to our house has those cover things they put over wayward chickens about 10 dotted about , when I asked the wife to have a go about all the noise from the fowl creatures she said the police owned them and bought the land.. No prob. then , that's fine with me , love fighting chickens , I really do !

Unfortunately they won't go after the big boys near Manik dam- got chased out of there one day. Too well connected.

Interesting that on Cable I get the Issan bull and cockfighting channel. Many guys leaning over the sides with money in hand.

Edited by Psimbo

I have been going to cockfights regularly both here and in other neighbouring countries for about 30 years now.  The deal here with cockfighting is that it is only deemed legal if the relevant provincial authorities say it is ok.  That's why it is allowed in some provinces and not in others.  The reason it was outlawed in Phuket was that the local poo yais were worried about backlash from visiting international tourists regarding animal cruelty.

Just off Phuket on the mainland, the big stadium on the left hand side of the road just before Ban Krasom used to get packed with more than a dozen bouts on the fight card.

I have a muslim friend down in the floating village at Lam Suk.  He introduced me to the huge meets at Ban Thung just north of Krabi and Ban Sawan along the super highway on the way to Surat.  Both those venues are caged stadiums with heavy security on the single entrance gate.  Hundreds of thousands (perhaps millions) of baht change hands.  Some of the punters sitting in the first row ringside have wads of 1000 baht notes almost too large to hold in ones hand.  I saw one fight were the pool for the winner (that is the side bets ponied up by each of the two owners) was 250,000 baht.

I love the energy and authenticity of these events, very few women, if any, and extremely rare to encounter another farang.

One time at the stadium at Ban Sawan, Carabao and his entourage showed up, black prime mover truck with slick trailer (think racing car team).

Here in the south the fights are all about the money, the birds are fitted with razor sharp knives on their spurs, and the losing bird gets its leg chopped off for its trouble.  One round only and the birds fight to the death.

Far more interesting are the fights in the remote far north east.  There are no knives fitted to the birds and they spar in several timed rounds.  Between the rounds the owners artfully stitch the wounds up on their birds and tidy them up for the next round.  A fantastic authentic cultural event.  And the chickens get to go home, even if they win, or lose.

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn