Overstays in America

There were 739,478 overstays from October 2015 through September 2016 among visitors who arrive by plane or ship — more than the population of Alaska.

The total number of overstays is much larger but has not been quantified because the statistic doesn't include how many people leave by land.

Overstays accounted for 1.5 percent of the 50.4 million visitors who arrived by plane or ship

Well if they don't know how many left by land, how can they say there would be more overstays?  Couldn't there be less overstays?  Maybe a lot of people left by land (doubtful, but just asking)

How do they count the overstays? It's a very long time since I flew in and out of the USA, but I don't recall any immigration control on departure. Matching up airline manifests with immigration entry records would be a massive job. It also doesn't count the number of those who came in and have not chosen to leave.

UK embarkation controls were abandoned in the early 1990s. At the time they justified it by saying that the money saved would go towards fixing the asylum system - that went well. Then a dozen or so years later when Blair was under pressure over removal of failed asylum seekers and overstayers they thought that the statistics didn't take account of those who might have left of their own accord. So for a year or two they re-established embarkation controls at the major airports and started serving papers on anyone identified as an overstayer or illegal and counting them in the "removals" statistics, even though they were leaving anyway. What a farce.

I wouldn't set great store by the figures quoted in the OP.

28 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

How do they count the overstays? It's a very long time since I flew in and out of the USA, but I don't recall any immigration control on departure.

The airlines do a report to US immigration and collect the stubs of the arrival card for non US citizens or residents get when they enter the country.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/752/~/i-still-have-my-i-94

So you still have the card after leaving the U.S. They say if you departed by common carrier ship or plane you don't need to send it in because your name's on the passenger manifest, but that it would nonetheless be a good idea to have the card on you the next time you enter the U.S. to "help facilitate your reentry."

If you left overland (or on a private ship or plane) and still have the card, then you certainly need to send it in, but only to the address given on that website. Otherwise, there could be real problems when you next try to enter the U.S.

Recall an outbound CBP check at LAX, before the security check 2 years ago.  It did strike me as hasty and temporary, smashed into an existing space it wasn't designed for.  Went through Miami last time but for the life of me, can't recall if there was an outbound Immigration check or not. 

Below article has links within extending back to 2015.  It is embarrassing that the US of A is so deficient when, to the best of my recollection, most airports I've been through elsewhere have outbound Immi checkpoint.  If you're serious about access and circulation control in your country, it's a no brainer, with the obvious problem being those who don't use established entry/exit portals.   

New Executive Order Demands Immigration Checks When You Leave the US, Not Just When You Arrive

by Gary Leff on January 28, 2017

The Trump administration executive order on immigration has most widely been reported to temporarily ban visas for people from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen — even for those who have been living in the U.S. in valid employment or student status but who need new visas for re-entry.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2017/01/28/new-executive-order-demands-immigration-checks-leave-us-not-just-arrive/

7 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

How do they count the overstays? It's a very long time since I flew in and out of the USA, but I don't recall any immigration control on departure. Matching up airline manifests with immigration entry records would be a massive job. It also doesn't count the number of those who came in and have not chosen to leave.

UK embarkation controls were abandoned in the early 1990s. At the time they justified it by saying that the money saved would go towards fixing the asylum system - that went well. Then a dozen or so years later when Blair was under pressure over removal of failed asylum seekers and overstayers they thought that the statistics didn't take account of those who might have left of their own accord. So for a year or two they re-established embarkation controls at the major airports and started serving papers on anyone identified as an overstayer or illegal and counting them in the "removals" statistics, even though they were leaving anyway. What a farce.

I wouldn't set great store by the figures quoted in the OP.

As ubonjoe said, unlike the UK, the US does have a departure immigration formality that is handled by the airline so visitors are 'checked out' when they 'check in'.

The figures would be a lot closer to reality than anything the UK government could come up with.

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The figures would be a lot closer to reality than anything the UK government could come up with

I'm sure you're right about that. When I first joined the UK Immigration Service getting on for 30 years ago, the Department actually had a database called 'OTIS' - overstayers tracing information system (or something like that). It was quite useful, but it was discontinued as everything got swamped by the tsunami of asylum claims in the 1990s. 

21 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Given the paranoia exhibited by US Immigration and the current American president, it baffles me why any non-American would want to go there in the first place.

It's streets are paved with gold . . .

19 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Given the paranoia exhibited by US Immigration and the current American president, it baffles me why any non-American would want to go there in the first place.

ROFLMAO.  "Baffles" you (and the Hate America Boys Choir) does it?  Well, apparently not so baffling to the millions who come, in defiance of the law even.  

Worrying about overstays when so many more have simply walked across the border, and even been caught and deported and done it again, and been welcomed by some "sanctuary cities" who help shield them from immigration authorities, is just ludicrous.  'Like worrying about a leaky faucet on Titanic.

The last and only time I went to Mexico, my buddy and I went down and we parked the car and literally plainly and simply walked into Mexico!  There was no leaving the USA check.  There was no way anybody would know we left the USA. That struck me as odd. In retrospect the few times I have driven up to Canada on short holidays no check on exiting the USA was done either.  Yes you are required to show documentation to get back into the USA Passport for example, but nothing going out, except sometimes they check for your documents but nothing is typically logged. 

27 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

The last and only time I went to Mexico, my buddy and I went down and we parked the car and literally plainly and simply walked into Mexico!  There was no leaving the USA check.  There was no way anybody would know we left the USA. That struck me as odd. In retrospect the few times I have driven up to Canada on short holidays no check on exiting the USA was done either.  Yes you are required to show documentation to get back into the USA Passport for example, but nothing going out, except sometimes they check for your documents but nothing is typically logged. 

I'm pretty sure the nice Mexican official at the border knew you left the USA. Not sure if they share info with the Americans as the Canadians do. When you leave Canada via land route, there is no check by Canadian officials, however, the US officials share that info with Canada so they know exactly when you left.

3 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Because this president is going to improve America. The country has bee disrespected and going downhill for the last 8 years.

Edited by fordguy61mi
4 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

I'm pretty sure the nice Mexican official at the border knew you left the USA. Not sure if they share info with the Americans as the Canadians do. When you leave Canada via land route, there is no check by Canadian officials, however, the US officials share that info with Canada so they know exactly when you left.

Of course they could and may share info, but there was no info to show.  No ID had to be shown, nothing swiped, etc.

5 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

Reading topics in this forum is not mandatory. If something doesn't interest you, you can skip it. 

Yes it's a Thai visa Pattaya forum, so posting countless items/stories bout America shouldn't be on here.

Go an post it on a usa forum. ??

2 hours ago, Sooo Upto Me said:

Yes it's a Thai visa Pattaya forum, so posting countless items/stories bout America shouldn't be on here.

Go an post it on a usa forum. ??

The "homeless one" hath spoken (again).

What do you mean it in the "Thai visa Pattaya forum"? Look again. It is in the GENERAL/HOME COUNTRY forum.

Here's a clue. You can leave this thread and articulate your discontent elsewhere.

Edited by NanLaew
5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The "homeless one" hath spoken (again).

What do you mean it in the "Thai visa Pattaya forum"? Look again. It is in the GENERAL/HOME COUNTRY forum.

Here's a clue. You can leave this thread and articulate your discontent elsewhere.

Haha homeless one, u really are a sad individual. I take it ur American.

I tell u what , u leave this thread & go an sit on ur favorite barstool in soi 6 or where ever u annoy other people.

???

11 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Of course they could and may share info, but there was no info to show.  No ID had to be shown, nothing swiped, etc.

The Mexican border is a free zone, so nothing to show upon entry there, either, hint hint. That free zone extends quite deep in the western border with California and Arizona...