Just a small "chassis" but beautiful female mechanic wowing the boys in Korat!

webfact

13 hours ago, ezflip said:

This reminds me of the 70's back home in Canada when stories would pop up about female mechanics working with in a male dominated field. 40 years later and the same type of stories appear in Thailand. They sure have a lot of catching up to do.

As we do in Canada. Have never seen a female mechanic there.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, BEVUP said:

I wouldn't call it Thai bashing

This is why I take my Toyota to Toyota who have been trained properly - (for warranty & insurance) Because I would wonder if the rest of them here  would  understand torqueing & velocities ( i wanted my break fluid on motor bike changed (even showed them the service schedule in Thai ) but they said it was ok )

Even though shes a looker her qualifications are that she got some sort of a degree & that her father owns the business ' so not that much difference to the west as i've put up with watching people & non citizens go to Tafe for a course & end up with a job way before a skilled or qualified tradesman  

I've been a mechanic since I was a teen and I certainly don't understand torqueing and velocities. Is that how fast a broken torque wrench will travel when you throw it across the shop? 

10 hours ago, fruitman said:

Yes i smell some Thai bashing here mate...so you want qualified mechanics working on cars?? Well wait untill the established users come out to tell you how negativ you are. 

She looks good, her father had a brakepad shop and she's thai so of course she's qualified to touch carbrakes.

I bet she also can change brakediscs or even make them flat again. She also is qualified for working with hydraulic systems i bet and knows very well how to see if a brakehose is still good or has haircracks. 

Im interested how "looking good  " qualifies her? along with the Father having a  brake pad shop and "of  course" that makes her qualified..........

Judging by the amount of "brake failure" reported " after" an accident I  wouldnt be so sure

17 hours ago, harrry said:

Great....but I prefer someone trained as an automobile mechanic and no a degree to work on my cars.  I am sure she would be would be great if she did get this training.  Women should work in this field...but that is no excuse for lack of training.

How did you conclude she has a lack of training?

The article states that she "Now she is back doing what she likes best."
That means she was doing it before. Probably in her father's shop.
I was an ASE certified auto technician for many years, and am amazed at the ignorance spewed forth on TV by some people whose only "qualification" appears to be their gender.
Two of the absolute best mechanics I have known were both women, one of whom I was half in love with because of her lovingly restored 1903 curved dash Oldsmobile.:smile:

3 hours ago, kannot said:

Im interested how "looking good  " qualifies her? along with the Father having a  brake pad shop and "of  course" that makes her qualified..........

Judging by the amount of "brake failure" reported " after" an accident I  wouldnt be so sure

Most of the "brake failure" is because idiots do not take their cars to the shop for required maintenance. As often as not the brake warning light has been on for months.
BTW, I was an ASE certified auto technician, which is the equivalent of an associates degree in mechanical engineering. In fact several states in the US now require a two year degree for licensure. 
This is not unique to Thailand, though perhaps exasperated here by "lack of money disease".
I regularly hear the tell tale clicking of imminent CV joint failure in autos making turns. Who has not seen the joyful billows of black smoke caused by (probably) worn out valve stem seals?  The engine stutter caused by a dead short in the ignition system, or a stripped out spark plug?
While I agree "good looking" has nothing to do with the qualifications, I suspect a wee bit of misogyny in your comment. The fact that she has returned to what she likes best argues that she has had the traditional "hands on" apprenticeship at her father's shop, which is still the most common type of training anywhere. I misdoubt the thought would have occurred to anyone if this were an article about a son.

37 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

Most of the "brake failure" is because idiots do not take their cars to the shop for required maintenance. As often as not the brake warning light has been on for months.
BTW, I was an ASE certified auto technician, which is the equivalent of an associates degree in mechanical engineering. In fact several states in the US now require a two year degree for licensure. 
This is not unique to Thailand, though perhaps exasperated here by "lack of money disease".
I regularly hear the tell tale clicking of imminent CV joint failure in autos making turns. Who has not seen the joyful billows of black smoke caused by (probably) worn out valve stem seals?  The engine stutter caused by a dead short in the ignition system, or a stripped out spark plug?
While I agree "good looking" has nothing to do with the qualifications, I suspect a wee bit of misogyny in your comment. The fact that she has returned to what she likes best argues that she has had the traditional "hands on" apprenticeship at her father's shop, which is still the most common type of training anywhere. I misdoubt the thought would have occurred to anyone if this were an article about a son.

What vehicle blows black smoke because of worn valve stem seals, ive blueish white but never black.

12 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

You are joking right?

Have you actually asked to see the Toyota Genuine Technician's Diploma?

Some of the worst mechanics work in big Brand Name franchises. Some of the best are small independents.

And vise versa. You cannot generalize.

TG, mechanic and machinist with 40 years experience.

You might be right.. who am I to go against someone with experience in the field (and its logical). but if you let them do it at Toyota.. you keep your guarantee current. Otherwise you are perfectly right, that is why i use a ford garage.. to keep my guarantee updated. 

54 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

What vehicle blows black smoke because of worn valve stem seals, ive blueish white but never black.

Admittedly rarer, but it does happen, especially if the crankcase oil is very well used. It can happen with any vehicle powered by an internal combustion engine with a valve train.

"Excessive oil consumption due to worn valves and valve stem seals, worn or stuck/sluggish rings from deposits, and worn cylinder liners contribute to black smoke. Engine wear and deposits can result from using the wrong oil for the application, excessive oil drain intervals, contaminated oil, and failing to maintain the proper oil levels in the engine. Performing regular maintenance with the recommended engine lubricant can minimize wear and deposits. Excessive oil consumption can increase PM by up to 85%."
Also caused by air intake obstruction (dirty air cleaner) and dirty injectors, etc.

As a well experienced, trained, and professional technician, worn valve stem seals are one of several conditions I would have considered if a customer complained about black smoke emission. What is your experience in repairing autos, if I might inquire?

Any other questions?

11 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

Admittedly rarer, but it does happen, especially if the crankcase oil is very well used. It can happen with any vehicle powered by an internal combustion engine with a valve train.

"Excessive oil consumption due to worn valves and valve stem seals, worn or stuck/sluggish rings from deposits, and worn cylinder liners contribute to black smoke. Engine wear and deposits can result from using the wrong oil for the application, excessive oil drain intervals, contaminated oil, and failing to maintain the proper oil levels in the engine. Performing regular maintenance with the recommended engine lubricant can minimize wear and deposits. Excessive oil consumption can increase PM by up to 85%."
Also caused by air intake obstruction (dirty air cleaner) and dirty injectors, etc.

As a well experienced, trained, and professional technician, worn valve stem seals are one of several conditions I would have considered if a customer complained about black smoke emission. What is your experience in repairing autos, if I might inquire?

Any other questions?

Iam a mere pleb in the mechnics world compared to someone with an associate degree, I asked my question based on 25 years of hand's on experience.

Black smoke has typically been associated with fuel issues, but today, I have learnt something new !!

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

Iam a mere pleb in the mechnics world compared to someone with an associate degree, I asked my question based on 25 years of hand's on experience.

Black smoke has typically been associated with fuel issues, but today, I have learnt something new !!

Yes, burned oil is blue....:stoner:

10 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Good work !! But why not use some safety shoes with steel nose. You already use gloves !

The gloves keep her hands from getting too dirty, but those steel-toed shoes are quite unattractive.

13 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

You are joking right?

Some of the worst mechanics work in big Brand Name franchises. Some of the best are small independents.

And, likewise the number of years doing something does not necessarily translate to that may years of experience. I have a very good friend who was a forklift operator for over thirty years, but even he admits he had 30 years of six months worth of experience--doing the same thing over and over daily does not increase your experience; it simply increases the length of time you have done something.  You need to have different and new circumstances and situations to add to experience.

30 minutes ago, transam said:

Hmmmmm, :whistling:

I'm sure you know more about internal combustion engines than I will ever know, but isn't black smoke emitted from a diesel powered vehicle mostly an indication of injector problems? I've never owned a diesel vehicle either.

56 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

I'm sure you know more about internal combustion engines than I will ever know, but isn't black smoke emitted from a diesel powered vehicle mostly an indication of injector problems? I've never owned a diesel vehicle either.

Diesel does chuck out gray or black smoke depending on the over enrichment, petrol much the same. When the Holley carb on my fun ride was overcome by heat and fuel pressure l can assure you there was clouds of black smoke in it's wake....:sad:

23 hours ago, WhizBang said:

Because this is Thailand and the men just cannot accept the concept of equality.

They can. I see it daily when passing a construction site or road building.

Lots of women working there. I cannot remember seeing women working as road builders or masons in the West.

18 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

You are joking right?

Nobody bad at Benz and I guess all German cars garages: they just follow what computer tell them and they do not need to think about what to do ! So it's hard to fix wrongly.

8 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

How did you conclude she has a lack of training?

The article states that she "Now she is back doing what she likes best."
That means she was doing it before. Probably in her father's shop.
I was an ASE certified auto technician for many years, and am amazed at the ignorance spewed forth on TV by some people whose only "qualification" appears to be their gender.
Two of the absolute best mechanics I have known were both women, one of whom I was half in love with because of her lovingly restored 1903 curved dash Oldsmobile.:smile:

This was not gender specific but training is not just working on cars because she likes them  or working in her fathers garage as a child thought this is a good start.  Training needs study and teaching of various aspects.  I am sure if you asked her many things taught to a true mechanic in trade school she would be unable to answer.  Being a mechanic requires both hands on training, which she has but also trade school based training.  DId you get to be an ASE certified auto technician without recieving technical training?

Of course she could have been trained with the theoretical background from books and had that reinforced by the practical training she may have had with her father.

I am all for women doing any job but they need to be qualified just like men.  I would have said the same if the photo had been one of a footballer who pasted a photo that he was back doing what he wanted to do most...work on other peoples most expensive possession because his father owned a workshop.  Training is needed for all as is hands on.  They compliment each other.

36 minutes ago, harrry said:

This was not gender specific but training is not just working on cars because she likes them  or working in her fathers garage as a child thought this is a good start.  Training needs study and teaching of various aspects.  I am sure if you asked her many things taught to a true mechanic in trade school she would be unable to answer.  Being a mechanic requires both hands on training, which she has but also trade school based training.  DId you get to be an ASE certified auto technician without recieving technical training?

Of course she could have been trained with the theoretical background from books and had that reinforced by the practical training she may have had with her father.

I am all for women doing any job but they need to be qualified just like men.  I would have said the same if the photo had been one of a footballer who pasted a photo that he was back doing what he wanted to do most...work on other peoples most expensive possession because his father owned a workshop.  Training is needed for all as is hands on.  They compliment each other.

Yes, I did in fact become an ASE certified Master Technician with no schooling. I started sweeping out and emptying trash, etc., part time at the Gaylordsville Garage when I was fourteen. At sixteen I bought my first car, a Renault Dauphine, for $15. I had to replace a rear wheel bearing, an exhaust valve and one piston where a piece of the valve had perforated the top.
All else was similar hands on until cars became more complicated, and I hit the books. I took the exams two at a time when I felt ready.
"Of course she could have been trained with the theoretical background from books and had that reinforced by the practical training she may have had with her father" is a correct statement, except that the particular areas mentioned in the article are absolutely possible to learn OJT. For over one hundred years that is the way mechanics learned their trade. Period.
What are your qualifications to declare in this situation, might I ask?

6 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Good! Keep on learning and you will, perhaps, get to my forty year hands on vantage point. :smile:

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

Yet another Thai graduate who can't find a job with the worthless paper credentials issued by the thousands annually by the Thai scam artists known locally as Universities.

How did you come to that conclusion?
The article said she left marketing to return to what she likes best.

"Khao Fang did a bachelor's degree in marketing at a Korat university then went to work at mobile firm AIS for a year. Now she is back doing what she likes best.
Unalloyed Thai bashing, I would say."

Edited by Bill Miller

6 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Most commonly yes, or plugged air intake filters. Worn valve seals in fact may be the least common cause of black smoke in gasoline engines especially... but it can happen.
I just typed the first possibility that I recalled. I had more than one customer who did not "believe" in changing the oil in their cars. This, of course, accelerates wear of the valve stems, seals, and guides, and when this sludge starts to leak into the combustion chamber, voila.

Per the tech article which I posted earlier:
"Excessive oil consumption due to worn valves and valve stem seals, worn or stuck/sluggish rings from deposits, and worn cylinder liners contribute to black smoke."

I know my Dodge truck with a Cummins diesel usually wants a new air cleaner when it starts emitting black smoke. Arizona is a very dusty environment.  It will be interesting to see how it is after nearly two years sitting.