Far fewer Brits coming to Thailand - but they are behaving much worse

webfact

11 minutes ago, Toscano said:

Thailand is better off without the British common masses , who are drunken and disorderly and have no respect for the country they are visiting . 

If Italy hadn't binned a mickey mouse currency in favour of one that is worse and could afford to be here in similar numbers I doubt if a fag paper would separate the two.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I find British to be most rude, selfish and badly behaved "visitors" in Thailand. Bottom of the barrel, really.

Also the first one who will whine and complain about the their "nanny state", but will fly home like a speedy Gonzales when they get enough from their "crowdfunding" campaign in case of the accident. 

And they are probably the first one to complain about Chinese and Russian tourists who are hi-so in comparison.

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum

UK tourists have been reduced by 50 per cent and that for a couple years now. Add to that figure the big drop in Scandinavian tourists and you have the explanation for TAT's search for "new" tourists. As they never mentioned either of these recent trends. I believe we can conclude TAT and the Thai government  do not care if western European Tourist numbers drop. 

3 hours ago, halloween said:

Either the UK visitors are behaving much worse, or there had been a much higher level of drug law enforcement, which itself may be an indication the BIB are less likely to accept a bribe rather than enforce the law. 

What could have caused a change in BIB behaviour since 2013?

In 2013 YS was still in government so it is unclear what you mean. You are assuming that the police changed something but like the saying goes assumption is the mother of all <deleted>ups.

21 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Personally, I find British to be most rude, selfish and badly behaved "visitors" in Thailand. Bottom of the barrel, really.

Also the first one who will whine and complain about the their "nanny state", but will fly home like a speedy Gonzales when they get enough from their "crowdfunding" campaign in case of the accident. 

And they are probably the first one to complain about Chinese and Russian tourists who are hi-so in comparison.

oh really you must come from the land of the polite then?  'personally' I find your post devoid of articulation or facts

If I didn't have family here and a Thai wife I would have long since turned my  back on the place. And my wife feels very much the same much better countries all over the world to explore and experience. The last thing in it's favour was it's cheapness and for us Brits that boat has long ago sailed away.

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Play with statistics long enough, you can make them say whatever you want.

pinch of salt anyone ?

2/3 agree with that so it must be correct.

Edited by SheungWan

1 hour ago, richard10365 said:

Stats above are not correct. Please ignore the part where it says only 432,000 Brits visited Thailand. It's quite misleading. Especially since the information above that says it was 432,000 Consular visits and not tourists visiting Thailand. 

My source:
http://tourism2.tourism.go.th/home/details/11/221/25516

Your source is the Thai Govt?  lol

What's interesting is that they seem to be 2 times as likely to die as be arrested in Thailand, but 7 times as likely to be arrested as to die in the USA.

But I'd sure like to see the results segregated by tourists vs long stay Brits.  

I suspect the reason for a lot of the "interesting comparisons" is that Brits coming to Thailand for the rest of their lives aren't likely to become Thai citizens.  Brits coming to the USA for the rest of their lives are likely to become US citizens, and fall out of these statistics.

BTW, if my industry is any indication I suspect one major reason for the drop in UK visitors is the reduction in offshore oilfield jobs around the world.  We used to see thousands of UK oilfield people come to Pattaya, etc on their 28 days off to avoid being tax residents back home, while soaking up all the sun and sex they could stand with their tax savings.  Without jobs, they're not paying taxes anyway, and they can't afford to travel to Thailand 6 times a year like they did when oil was >$100 a barrel.  Add a couple of monthly side trips to Bali and Cambodia and I'd bet each of those guys counted for 12-20 entries.

Edited by impulse

USA has 8x as many UK visits as Thailand, yet deaths here 3x that of Brits in USA... so 24x as likely to die here? (I know, lots of retirees, but...). Hospitalizations about 1.6x. I assume that does not include cosmetic, sex change operations and such. Health care in USA is obscenely expensive in the states, granted.

I like idea of "medical hub" but shouldn't drum up business via bad wiring, collapsing structures, vehicle accidents, street violence... Fun to look at charts.

1 minute ago, Emster23 said:

USA has 8x as many UK visits as Thailand, yet deaths here 3x that of Brits in USA... so 24x as likely to die here? (I know, lots of retirees, but...). Hospitalizations about 1.6x. I assume that does not include cosmetic, sex change operations and such. Health care in USA is obscenely expensive in the states, granted.

I like idea of "medical hub" but shouldn't drum up business via bad wiring, collapsing structures, vehicle accidents, street violence... Fun to look at charts.

The retirees is an important - three of my late dad's friends died on the bowling green - bending down holding heavy bowls whilst in advanced years. Thailand and yougish ladies would no doubt have even a more profound effect.

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Play with statistics long enough, you can make them say whatever you want.

pinch of salt anyone ?

Give me a calculator, a wad of paper and a pencil, i coukd fly you to the moon and back in your tea break.

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Totally false stats I suspect.  Previously there were a lot more border crossings for new arrivals than there is now (where people are being forced to use real visas for long stays - and even a visa exempt entry can last 2 months now).

Well, they are UK government stats, but being Brits; they may be behaving worse too.

Did you notice?

Yes...Thailand is a very dangerous place for British tourists.

13 million British visitors to Spain had 697 deaths......30 times the number of tourists and yet only 1.8 times the death ratio.

3.5 million British visitors to the USA had 132 deaths. ......8 times the number of tourists and yet only 1/3 the death ratio. 

Interestingly, the observation made in the OP reflect almost exactly my perception of the behaviour of Brits back home as observed during my visits there once a year for the past few years. The degree to which Brits in England have become increasingly anti-social and violent has surprised me a lot.