Islamic State supporters celebrate Manchester attack online, no official claim

webfact

Islamic State supporters celebrate Manchester attack online, no official claim

REUTERS

(REUTERS) Islamic State supporters celebrated on social media on Tuesday after a blast at a concert venue in the north of England killed at least 19 people, although the militant Islamist group has not formally claimed responsibility.

British police have said they are treating the blast at the Manchester Arena at the end of a concert by U.S. singer Ariana Grande as a "terrorist incident". More than 50 people were wounded.

Twitter accounts affiliated to Islamic State have used hashtags referring to the blast to post celebratory messages, with some users encouraging similar attacks elsewhere.

Some messages described the attack as an act of revenge in response to air strikes in Iraq and Syria.

"It seems that bombs of the British airforce over children of Mosul and Raqqa has just came back to #Manchester," one user named Abdul Haqq said on Twitter, in reference to the Iraqi and Syrian cities held by the militants where a U.S.-led coalition, of which Britain is a member, is conducting air strikes.

Supporters posted messages encouraging each other to carry out "lone wolf" attacks in the West and shared Islamic State videos threatening the United States and Europe.

One user said he hoped Islamic State was responsible for the attack, although no claim has appeared on any of the militant's group's official social media channels.

"We hope that the perpetrator is one of the soldiers of the caliphate," he wrote on a channel affiliated to the group hosted by messaging network Telegram.

Others posted banners saying "the beginning is in Brussels and Paris, and in London we form a state," in reference to previous similar "lone wolf" attacks in Belgium and France for which the group has claimed responsibility.

ALSO IN ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

Nineteen killed in suspected suicide attack at Ariana Grande concert in Britain

Ariana Grande says she is 'broken' in tweet after Manchester attack

British Prime Minister Theresa May said the blast was being treated as a terrorist attack.

If confirmed, it would be the deadliest militant assault on Britain since four British Muslims killed 52 people in suicide bombings on London's transport system in July 2005.

U.S. officials drew parallels between the blast and the coordinated attacks in November 2015 by Islamist militants on the Bataclan concert hall and other sites in Paris, which claimed about 130 lives.

Two officials who spoke on condition of anonymity said that initial signs pointed to a suicide bomber as being responsible for the blast.

(Reporting by Mostafa Hashem; Writing by Ahmed Aboulenein; Editing by Paul Tait and Nick Macfie)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-23

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its twitter - thats what twitter does. An outlet for extremists and anonymous trolls to stoke up the hatred and provoke a reaction be it cheering on the terrorists or the right wing commentators calling for a 'final solution'.

41 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said:

No - that would be racist.

Besides, Twitter are far too busy shutting down conservative commentators,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's BS.

38 minutes ago, hansnl said:

It are not only the IS members and supporters having a party, but I bet most of the Muslim world does.

I'd say no. I'd say general population of muslims hate these fcukers even more than we do.

Think how your life would change here in Thailand if there would be several terrorist attacks by farangs and the Thais would start seeing every farang as potential terrorist.

3 minutes ago, Orac said:

Its twitter - thats what twitter does. An outlet for extremists and anonymous trolls to stoke up the hatred and provoke a reaction be it cheering on the terrorists or the right wing commentators calling for a 'final solution'.

Trump isn't an anonymous troll.

:whistling:

Just now, oilinki said:

I'd say no. I'd say general population of muslims hate these fcukers even more than we do.

Think how your life would change here in Thailand if there would be several terrorist attacks by farangs and the Thais would start seeing every farang as potential terrorist.

That you'd say it is all very fine. Now it's just a matter of ascertaining that's the prevailing view among relevant communities.

16 minutes ago, oilinki said:

But there aren't and there never will be any.  So that's a silly comparison.  It wasn't "farangs" who set off the bomb at the Erawan Shrine.

Edited by Usernames

3 minutes ago, Usernames said:

But there aren't and there never will be any.  So that's a silly comparison.  It wasn't "farangs" who set off the bomb at the Erawan Shrine.

Really? How about other crimes?

Start condemning every time a farang, Russian mafia or not, commits crimes in Thailand.

By your way of thinking You are the Russian mafia, didn't you know that?

16 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:
23 minutes ago, oilinki said:
That's BS.

Indeed. Some people have strange ideas about what constitutes racism.

I thought the BS comment was aimed at the shutting down of conservative commentators:

24 minutes ago, oilinki said:
1 hour ago, Dagnabbit said:

No - that would be racist.

Besides, Twitter are far too busy shutting down conservative commentators,

That's BS.

...which is of course totally correct.

10 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Really? How about other crimes?

Start condemning every time a farang, Russian mafia or not, commits crimes in Thailand.

By your way of thinking You are the Russian mafia, didn't you know that?

Bizarre reply.

42 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Nonsensical comparison.

Where are your imaginary farangs who commit several terrorist attacks in Thailand?

Sadly, though, there are plenty of muslims who commit terrorist atrocities with tedious regularity.

1 hour ago, oilinki said:

But Farangs DON,T pull off terrorist attacks ! That is the whole point here, the attacks are done by the morons using severely limited intellect method syndrome !

1 hour ago, Usernames said:

Bizarre reply.

Is it really? 

There are people who are constantly afraid and tend to group all muslims into the same category of terrorist. While they are not and they hate the terrorists like every other human should.

Is it fair for me to say that you are an Russian mafioso? No, it's not. Would it be nice if 50% of Thais would think that you are Russian mafioso? I guess it would not feel so great?

The same applies to religions. Note that I consider that every religion bad.

Islamic State claims responsibility for Manchester arena attack

2017-05-23T115459Z_1_LYNXMPED4M10H_RTROPTP_3_BRITAIN-SECURITY-MANCHESTER.JPG

CAIRO (Reuters) - Islamic State claimed responsibility for Monday's deadly attack at the Manchester Arena and said it was carried out with an explosive device planted at the concert, according to a statement the group posted on Telegram.

"One of the soldiers of the Caliphate was able to place an explosive device within a gathering of the Crusaders in the city of Manchester," the statement said.

(Reporting by Omar Fahmy; Editing by Andrew Heavens)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-23

Islamic State claims responsibility for Manchester arena attack
2017-05-23T115459Z_1_LYNXMPED4M10H_RTROPTP_3_BRITAIN-SECURITY-MANCHESTER.JPG.d6e4c3a19e90032f34434a5ef39af62c.JPG

CAIRO (Reuters) - Islamic State claimed responsibility for Monday's deadly attack at the Manchester Arena and said it was carried out with an explosive device planted at the concert, according to a statement the group posted on Telegram.

"One of the soldiers of the Caliphate was able to place an explosive device within a gathering of the Crusaders in the city of Manchester," the statement said.

(Reporting by Omar Fahmy; Editing by Andrew Heavens)

reuters_logo.jpg -- [emoji767] Copyright Reuters 2017-05-23  

Now there's a surprise!! ?

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

Sorry. I was being sarcastic, hence the emoticon.

I know. Being sarcastic requires more than that. 

4 hours ago, oilinki said:

Is it really? 

There are people who are constantly afraid and tend to group all muslims into the same category of terrorist. While they are not and they hate the terrorists like every other human should.

Is it fair for me to say that you are an Russian mafioso? No, it's not. Would it be nice if 50% of Thais would think that you are Russian mafioso? I guess it would not feel so great?

The same applies to religions. Note that I consider that every religion bad.

You are an infidel or Muslim there is no gray area. When you understand this then you will get it. 

No Muslims marching against the attacks I wonder why.

You are an infidel or Muslim there is no gray area. When you understand this then you will get it. 

No Muslims marching against the attacks I wonder why.

No need to wonder why, as you don't have much of a clue. After the Westminster attacks, there was a Muslim march in London against the attacks. The vigil for Manchester to be held tonight (I think) will have huge Muslim participation.

35 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

No need to wonder why, as you don't have much of a clue. After the Westminster attacks, there was a Muslim march in London against the attacks. The vigil for Manchester to be held tonight (I think) will have huge Muslim participation.

I have a clue and it would of included not importing them.

We are infidels nothing more than a tool of the devil

Muslim State Secretary for Berlin voices her backing for Sharia law in Europe, saying it is ‘absolute compatible’ with German legislatio.

And when it is enough voters you will find out how much difference there is between infidel and muslim