Speeding fines in Thailand

To put things into perspective, I guess we should be grateful. A fine for going 30mph over the speed limit in the US now, is about $500-600. That is nearly 20,000 baht. Not to mention the points on your license, and the potential increase of your insurance rates. By comparison, not bad.

I was driving on the elevated road near Don Muang recently, and got stopped by a cop, when I was exiting the highway,  who told me I was speeding. He had an image on his phone, of my car, and the speed. I was going about 100kph, in an 80 kph zone, which of course is ridiculously slow, for a three lane elevated highway. Of course, the 80kph speed has nothing to do with safety, and everything to do with making the toy cop franchises more profitable. I argued when he showed me the list, with a fine of 1,000 baht. Told him that was just not going to happen, and laughed at him. I offered him 200 baht. He argued with my Thai wife, and when he saw that I was not budging, he said he would accept 500 baht. It was all quite amusing. I have zero respect for these guys. Zero.

In the world that I come from, respect has to be earned, and it is never freely given. The authorities here deserve little respect, as they do not earn it. The police care little for the people, do not engage in any sort of traffic safety, only show up after an accident has taken place, do not ever pull anyone over for reckless driving, threatening lives on the highway, speeding, or driving while drunk. Sure, they nab people at checkpoints. But, most of those checkpoints just slow up traffic on the highway, and rarely result in making the highways safer. So, unless and until they start doing their jobs, they will continue to get little respect from the public. You get what you earn in this life. Most cops here cannot be taken seriously, as they are not serious people, and treat their job as a private franchise, rarely engage in law enforcement, or protection of the public.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

To put things into perspective, I guess we should be grateful. A fine for going 30mph over the speed limit in the US now, is about $500-600. That is nearly 20,000 baht. Not to mention the points on your license, and the potential increase of your insurance rates. By comparison, not bad.

I was driving on the elevated road near Don Muang recently, and got stopped by a cop, when I was exiting the highway,  who told me I was speeding. He had an image on his phone, of my car, and the speed. I was going about 100kph, in an 80 kph zone, which of course is ridiculously slow, for a three lane elevated highway. Of course, the 80kph speed has nothing to do with safety, and everything to do with making the toy cop franchises more profitable. I argued when he showed me the list, with a fine of 1,000 baht. Told him that was just not going to happen, and laughed at him. I offered him 200 baht. He argued with my Thai wife, and when he saw that I was not budging, he said he would accept 500 baht. It was all quite amusing. I have zero respect for these guys. Zero.

In the world that I come from, respect has to be earned, and it is never freely given. The authorities here deserve little respect, as they do not earn it. The police care little for the people, do not engage in any sort of traffic safety, only show up after an accident has taken place, do not ever pull anyone over for reckless driving, threatening lives on the highway, speeding, or driving while drunk. Sure, they nab people at checkpoints. But, most of those checkpoints just slow up traffic on the highway, and rarely result in making the highways safer. So, unless and until they start doing their jobs, they will continue to get little respect from the public. You get what you earn in this life. Most cops here cannot be taken seriously, as they are not serious people, and treat their job as a private franchise, rarely engage in law enforcement, or protection of the public.

So, "to put things in perspective", this cop showed you PROOF that you were exceeding the local speed limit and had a list fines that both you and your wife sneered at before you happily managed to subvert him into the 'Thai way' that you find so despicable.... but handy when it applies to you.

If the cop on the Don Mueang elevated had seized your license, impounded your car and had you and your gobby missus taken away in a paddy wagon where, after a brief detention and you paid the fine, would he have then gotten your respect?

Actually, you lost me at your "... Of course, the 80kph speed has nothing to do with safety, and everything to do with making the toy cop franchises more profitable. ..." bit of Thainess falang loo mahk gobbyness.

But then you said, "In the world that I come from, respect has to be earned, and it is never freely given." as if that justifies you're stooping to the lowest-level of every day corruption masquerading as some deep and profound concern for real-world law enforcement and safer driving in Thailand.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

So, "to put things in perspective", this cop showed you PROOF that you were exceeding the local speed limit and had a list fines that both you and your wife sneered at before you happily managed to subvert him into the 'Thai way' that you find so despicable.... but handy when it applies to you.

If the cop on the Don Mueang elevated had seized your license, impounded your car and had you and your gobby missus taken away in a paddy wagon where, after a brief detention and you paid the fine, would he have then gotten your respect?

Actually, you lost me at your "... Of course, the 80kph speed has nothing to do with safety, and everything to do with making the toy cop franchises more profitable. ..." bit of Thainess falang loo mahk gobbyness.

But then you said, "In the world that I come from, respect has to be earned, and it is never freely given." as if that justifies you're stooping to the lowest-level of every day corruption masquerading as some deep and profound concern for real-world law enforcement and safer driving in Thailand.

I think I lost you. So, are you saying that by paying the 1,000 baht that he was asking for, I would have been somehow more dignified, and less offensive to you? How does that apply? And the part about the cop seizing my car, is from a parallel universe. I have never heard of such a thing happening, in all my years in Thailand. I was not nasty with him. More like playful, and dismissive, which is how I always am, with Thai police. The situation was never in any way threatening to any of the parties involved. He had a good laugh, and so did we. And are you saying I should be more respectful, with the police here? Why? What have they ever done to earn mine, or anyone else's respect? 

Please explain. Your strange reasoning has really lost me. 

37 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I think I lost you. So, are you saying that by paying the 1,000 baht that he was asking for, I would have been somehow more dignified, and less offensive to you? How does that apply? And the part about the cop seizing my car, is from a parallel universe. I have never heard of such a thing happening, in all my years in Thailand. I was not nasty with him. More like playful, and dismissive, which is how I always am, with Thai police. The situation was never in any way threatening to any of the parties involved. He had a good laugh, and so did we. And are you saying I should be more respectful, with the police here? Why? What have they ever done to earn mine, or anyone else's respect? 

I think the Poster is American. As with most Americans they over analize everything.Its easy Money, Safety is just a get out .

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

You say the police have to earn respect but still you played their silly game of how much you want to pay to avoid a ticket? Sorry if the rest was all a bit...

tjwoyh.gif.505d5e081d92287e2288baf37e99ed7d.gif

Never mind, immediately after I made that last post, I went on an errand, ran a red-light and got pulled over. I was a tad 'Oh, you gotta be kidding me' but when I saw the 3 cars that were right behind me and also ran the red light also pulled over and queuing behind me, I felt better.

The senior cop manning the ticketing desk with a junior cop witnessong said the usual fine is 1000 baht but reduced to 400 baht so I happily swapped 4 red notes for a carefully hand-written white one! No need for wifely interference, jovial banter and any allusion to the false notion that I 'know the ropes'. Fair cop.

1 hour ago, HAKAPALITA said:

I think the Poster is American. As with most Americans they over analize everything.Its easy Money, Safety is just a get out .

You think wrong... as always.

The whole 'speed traps are just for making money' mantra is the perpetual whine of the 'me-first' driver.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23.05.2017 at 11:44 PM, Hereinthailand said:

You really dont get it do you ? 157 KPH=97.5 MPH  and you dont think driving at that speed on even the best road in thailand isnt a danger to everyone on the road including yourself ??? You should have had your licensed suspended and your car impounded. You WILL kill someone some day with your reckless- careless driving.

Do you know the author personally or his car? his physical abilities and technical capabilities of the car? how do you draw a conclusion based on speed? than the motorways of Thailand differ from the highway in Germany?

On 3/17/2018 at 4:22 PM, ardokano said:

Do you know the author personally or his car? his physical abilities and technical capabilities of the car? how do you draw a conclusion based on speed? than the motorways of Thailand differ from the highway in Germany?

Yes, the motorways in Thailand differ from the highways in Germany.

• Haha 1

On 17/03/2018 at 4:22 PM, ardokano said:

Any particular reason you are commenting on a post nearly ten months old?, get out much in CM?. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, phutoie2 said:

Any particular reason you are commenting on a post nearly ten months old?, get out much in CM?. 

Any particular reason you are replying to his comment?  Who cares how old the post is...you're the one who probably needs to get out more IMO :)

Edited by mgthom63
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, phutoie2 said:

I am read. I am curious ... Its 

this not enough? I always do what I see fit. So can you explain how on the basis of only speed  can draw some conclusions?

8 hours ago, stevenl said:

Yes, the motorways in Thailand differ from the highways in Germany.

So what is different?Thai motorway some special? not knowing the technical condition of the car, and the physical condition of the driver can you draw some conclusions? :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ardokano said:

So what is different?Thai motorway some special? not knowing the technical condition of the car, and the physical condition of the driver can you draw some conclusions? :)

Thai motorways are much more unpredictable, therefore require a lower speed.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

Please stop trolling.

I am not trolling. Just kidding. But its serious about  why not knowing the technical capabilities of the car. The physical capabilities of the driver. do based on the speed of some conclusions. 157 is quite a safe speed if the technical capabilities of the car allow on Thai motorway.

14 hours ago, ardokano said:

I am not trolling. Just kidding. But its serious about  why not knowing the technical capabilities of the car. The physical capabilities of the driver. do based on the speed of some conclusions. 157 is quite a safe speed if the technical capabilities of the car allow on Thai motorway.

Anybody who comes with a question like this " than the motorways of Thailand differ from the highway in Germany? " is trolling.

• 2 weeks later...

The safest roads in Thailand are those without major faults/obstructions & other vehicles/people/animals.

I'd say some of the 3 digit freshly paved dual carriage ways in rural isan. Long straight stretches of pure loneliness at most times of the day or night. ~180kph is happy cruising :) The 7 motorway with all its empty inner lanes and higged outer lanes & klong overpasses hardly qualify as a 'motorway' & definitely is never really safe above ~120kmp.

The bangna tollway much better with only disadvantage its occasional wind interference.

Performance cars? Hmm I very rarely if ever see any of those move at anything close to their capabilities but happy if one day comes where I'll be passed inside at 250kph ;)

Vehicle impounding in Thailand? Yes it was introduced at one of the recent major festivals perhaps songkran or new years last year? Thousands of vehicles impounded with reasons of speeding or drunk or drug driving I guess...military enforced :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 5/26/2017 at 9:32 PM, Pdaz said:

On the Number 7 Highway. I believe it is somewhere soon after the booths where you collect the car ( if heading towards BKK ) But there are several sections marked with camera warning signs. I've never really been able to work out if the signs are legit or if the cameras are located in another section. It's definitely not systematic as I have often expected to get a fine when travelling at a sustained 140kph when the road has been quiet. Yet received nothing.. Other time I think I've keep close to the limit but a fine has arrived. 

"Yes it can be dangerous but when you have a luxury car you really get bored at 120 !"

Yes so true.. Modern Performance cars are so stable and quiet that keeping below 120 requires constant monitoring. Quick prod of the pedal and mine will spin up past 160 in a flash :(

I went thru one at cha am ( half way cha am to hua  hin in both directions at different places) at 130kph and got  flashed but  no problem front plate  illegible, the next time i went past at a  similar time at 90 and let another car sail past at easily 130kph and no flash from the  same camera????????? go figure.

My pick ups  still registered to an old address so maybe the mailbox is  full of tickets? they say you wont be able to tax the car unless theyre  all paid but i re-taxed  mine a  month ago no problem.

On 3/17/2018 at 11:48 AM, NanLaew said:

meanwhile in the real world how many cameras  stop the insane tailgating, lane  hopping, hard shoulder using when all other lanes are  full not keeping left when  the other two lanes are totally empty, no lights and total lack of  signals..................none but "speeding" oh my gawdddddddddd

On 5/29/2017 at 4:58 PM, MINIMIGLIA said:

Yes true, will not renew road tax with outstanding tickets

not true renewed mine about a  month or so ago and i must have umpteen fines unpaid  by now

• 2 months later...
On 5/27/2017 at 10:12 AM, Kwasaki said:

Yeah the UK is much better.  :laugh:

In the UK minimum penalty for speeding is a £100 fine and 3 penalty points added to your licence.

You could be disqualified from driving if you build up 12 or more penalty points within a period of 3 years.

If you’re still within 2 years of passing your driving test, your driving licence will be revoked (withdrawn) if you build up 6 or more penalty points. :ermm:

in thailand they have points?

On 8/20/2018 at 6:42 PM, mentalcolonization said:

Stupid man and you are proud to post this . you ought to be ashamed of yourself. Keeping your life safe and others should be a priority. 

Couldnt care  less, no one else does, im trying to be Thai, you cant have it both ways

• Like 1

On 5/29/2017 at 1:47 PM, burgerking said:

Received three fines 2 weeks ago, one dates back as far as February, so I don't think the are sending them out in record time, was caught speeding all 3 times on the Bang Na Chonburi expressway. One thing that was strange was, only one of the fines i could pay at the bank, the other 2 fines, I had to go to the post office and get a money order, send a stamped self addressed envelope    

I am curious to knew who you paid the fines to. Strange two different companies.

My wife over the span of 2017 managed to collect 10 speeding tickets. Being Thai she just ignored them. Coming home one day, two months ago, there was a notice from a debt collecting company pinned to the gate demanding payment of the fines. Next day a of couple guys came asking the wife about payment arrangements. This was a registered debt collecting company.

According to one of the wife's friends, depending on the amount and time outstanding the authorities are using debt collectors for a percentage fee.

Fines total was 2 at 1000 baht and 8 at 500 baht