Tourism not hurt by Bangkok hospital blast, says Minister Kobkarn

webfact

Tourism not hurt by Bangkok hospital blast, says minister

By The Nation

e673e66038fc0d772ae1c7b28654cbfd.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- There is no impact on the tourism sector from the bomb attack at Phramongkutklao Hospital in Bangkok’s Rajthevi district, which left some 20 people injured, as no foreign nationals were affected, Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said on Tuesday. 

No countries have issued any warning against travelling to Thailand while no special protocol has been sought as yet, she said. 

However, Kobkarn said the Ministry of Tourism and Sports was uneasy about the incident and was monitoring the situation closely with instructions being prepared to communicate with tourists if necessary. 

The ministry will continue to promote tourism in Thailand by highlighting foods, fruits, local culture, and sports to attract more tourists, she said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30316146

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-24

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, webfact said:

No countries have issued any warning against travelling to Thailand

personally i dont this affects tourists much; tourism affect at the moment shouldnt be the primary topic; it is long term effect; as a recent article here indicated, Brits , considered 'quality tourists' are less than half of what they recently were; they go elsewhere to safer places

21 minutes ago, webfact said:

No countries have issued any warning against travelling to Thailand while no special protocol has been sought as yet, she said. 

That should read No countries have issued any NEW warnings. A lot of countries have travel advisory warnings to some degree or other already, about the dangers of visiting Thailand.

It was not long back that Madame TAT made the big announcement that she would be promoting Thailand as a hub for medical tourism. 

Foreigners visiting Thailand  for medical reasons should be made aware that hospitals are now being targeted by terrorists (co-incidentily on the anniversary of the military coupe).

Would it not be unreasonable for Mdme TAT to issue a travel warning to those planning to come for medical reasons. Or might that have a harmful effect on tourism? Which is the most important for TAT? Safety of foreign visitors or tourism statistics? 

Rhetorical question only.

Edited by Cadbury

2 hours ago, Cadbury said:

It was not long back that Madame TAT made the big announcement that she would be promoting Thailand as a hub for medical tourism. 

Foreigners visiting Thailand  for medical reasons should be made aware that hospitals are now being targeted by terrorists (co-incidentily on the anniversary of the military coupe).

Would it not be unreasonable for Mdme TAT to issue a travel warning to those planning to come for medical reasons. Or might that have a harmful effect on tourism? Which is the most important for TAT? Safety of foreign visitors or tourism statistics? 

Rhetorical question only.

"Madame TAT "  ??      Kobkarn Wattanavrankul is the Minister of Tourism and Sports, nothing directly to do with TAT (Tourist Authority of Thailand) . She is speaking as a government minister.

That Authority TAT is headed by Yuthasak Supasorn

Bangkok could be leveled by an earthquake and the various Thai ministries would issue press releases saying that tourism is unaffected.  :partytime2:

However, being from a Western nation, I'd have to disagree.  Nowadays, when the average Westerner from North America or the EU hears the words, "bomb blast", they just about soil themselves.  Khun Kobkarn obviously does not 'think' like a farang tourist.  However, will it make a 'significant' impact on tourism as a whole?  Probably not.  

Edited by connda

"Tourism not hurt by Bangkok hospital blast, says minister"

How does she know that!  It doesn't need an embassy warning for people to cancel their flights and book holidays elsewhere.  Most people with common sense would already understand that if they want a safe, stress free holiday, they don't go to Thailand.

Has anybody checked her pulse lately?  She might be a droid with a faulty memory chip.

43 minutes ago, connda said:

Bangkok could be leveled by an earthquake and the various Thai ministries would issue press releases saying that tourism is unaffected.  :partytime2:

However, being from a Western nation, I'd have to disagree.  Nowadays, when the average Westerner from North America or the EU hears the words, "bomb blast", they just about soil themselves.  Khun Kobkarn obviously does not 'think' like a farang tourist.  However, will it make a 'significant' impact on tourism as a whole?  Probably not.  

"Nowadays, when the average Westerner from North America or the EU hears the words, "bomb blast", they just about soil themselves."

Why do do they do that?  Obviously not because of the numbers of victims, which is waaay down from the 70's and 80's. Speaking as a farang tourist, as I was then, I certainly didn't soil myself at these words. So why would I now?

They cannot know in advance what the effect will be. Most people plan and pay for trips more than 2 days in advance and many on non-refundable tickets. It is the possible impact on future tourism that may well be affected.

Very premature statement made, within days of the hospital bombing with 20 casualties. Only time will tell, over the next several months, if tourism is affected, and not by traveller advisory warnings from abroad being unchanged. A stupid statement at its best.... LOS... 

I bet the first thing on the mind of people  from the UK.

Is that the disgusting cowardly attack on women and children in Manchester.

Is I hope this won't affect tourism in the UK .

The idiots in power here sicken me sometimes. Well most of the time actually

5 hours ago, webfact said:

However, Kobkarn said the Ministry of Tourism and Sports was uneasy about the incident and was monitoring the situation closely with instructions being prepared to communicate with tourists if necessary. 

Yes that "communicating with tourists" should be priceless. Handing out bouquets of flowers at the airport perhaps. She will no doubt come up with something catchy and photogenic. 

40 minutes ago, exalll said:

"Nowadays, when the average Westerner from North America or the EU hears the words, "bomb blast", they just about soil themselves."

Why do do they do that?  Obviously not because of the numbers of victims, which is waaay down from the 70's and 80's. Speaking as a farang tourist, as I was then, I certainly didn't soil myself at these words. So why would I now?

I'm speaking from my experience with friends and family who live in the US and the EU.  There is a certain segment of my friends and family who have stopped traveling, even domestically, because of their fear of 'terrorism.'   What they don't understand is that their chances of getting killed or injured on the Thai roads is many magnitudes times greater than ever getting caught up in a 'terror' attack. 

Maybe not quite on subject but last time I was in Bangkok ( early May 2017) , the " security checks" at the Bts and the entrance to shopping malls like terminal 21 just waved me thru even thou the buzzer went off nearly every time .

Security checks with out any checks...............

5 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

surely it is a bit early to make such a statement!

If it had any connection to ISIS it would of been different, ISIS would of said something before their posting the other day. If the picture is true, they finally have a metal detector? The've had them at The Mall out here for a long time now. I guess Thursday when I visit the Hospital I will find out what kind of screening they are doing!!