Bangkok bounty hunters! Report motorcycles on sidewalk and get a share of the fine!

webfact

Bangkok bounty hunters! Report motorcycles on sidewalk and get a share of the fine!

3pm2.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

BANGKOK: -- A scheme is underway that might allow members of the public to take a share in motorcycle fines in Bangkok.

All you will have to do is take a picture of a bike travelling or parked illegally on the sidewalk and send it to the authorities. The registration must be showing.

Then when a fine has been paid by the owner of the bike you can go to collect your share of the loot.

The scheme is currently under the consideration of the Bangkok Metropolitan Authority who are getting tough on motorcycles.

Yesterday it was reported on Facebook by a user called Ittipat Pinrarod that "tetsakit" officers from the municipal authority were out in force in both Lat Prao and Wang Thong Lan districts picking up motorcycles parked on the sidewalk and loading them onto municipal pick-ups to be taken away.

A video showing that happening in Wang Thong Lan was posted.

Ittipat said that in Lat Prao people returning to find their bikes gone didn't know what to do. But they were directed to a notice stuck on a pillar that told them where to go to reclaim their bikes - and pay the fine.

Ittipat posted that the "dobbing in" scheme of reporting errant motorcyclists was now in operation but tetsakit representative Akkaraphon Kaewngam said that it was still under consideration by the BMA.

Meanwhile online celebrity Natchpoan Supatana - better known by Thais as Mark Pitbull - went on Facebook live to say that he agreed with what was being done about motorcycles in Bangkok.

But he said that the authorities needed to continue to act and not just treat it as a "crackdown" then forget about it.

He said that the public need to know where they stand - they will soon get used to it and change their behavior if the authorities stand firm, he said.

But already the threat of 5,000 baht fines was not being followed up. Akkaraphon said that for now they were just fining owners 1,000 baht to get their motorbikes back.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-25

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not just write fines of 5000 baht? They always try to avoid that.

Also in the video, they remove a scooter but should have written the fine and put it on the scooter so all can see it's there. Put a yellow flag on it as well.

I'm used to motorbikes riding on the pavements. I don't agree with it and I'd love to see them being fined, but I'm totally used to having to be aware of them on pavements. 

The other day I'm walking and I can feel a motorbike is behind me. I'm walking though a narrow gap where the bike can't go around me. Now, I'm not stopping and stepping to the side to allow the bike through. The rider can wait til I'm through and then go past. But no! The woman on the bike honked at me. I rarely get angry but that really p***** off. I turned around and pointed at the pavement. I shouted in Thai "this is for people walking and you're not allowed to ride on it" which is 100% correct. She just apologised and sped off. 

I'm used to bikes on the pavement, but I get very annoyed when they speed or think they have right of way.

Riding bikes on the pavement is illegal. There are signs warning of 5000 Baht fines. It's dangerous and inconsiderate of others. 

20 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I have seen police riding on the footpath on may occasions, as well

as those motorcycle taxis parked by the dozens,

why don't they start from there?...or are they exempt?....

Yes motocytaxi's block sidewalks as well but i guess they're protected. Those guys should rent a shop and sit in there with their bikes but that will drive the price up.

Those mototaxi-booths with a crappy sofa inside also give streets a poor look. 

Also at markets they like to block the way when they all stand infront of the entrance.

In this day of mass media and phones with cameras literally everywhere, wifi, etc.  casting a wide net and asking for the public to pitch in could very well work.  Many big time criminals are now caught as people phone in or email or text in tips because they saw photos on crime sites, police sites, etc.

Parking a motorcycle on the sidewalk is less of a safety liability than on the road coz pedestrians are slower-moving and more agile than a vehicle travelling on the road, which would have to swerve to avoid the bike and slows the flow of traffic. With more and more cars on the road this will increasingly be an issue.

I usually walk on the edge of the road anyway coz the surface on the walkways is rough and uneven.

Is this dobbing in scheme open for police to join in?  If so it could be widened to, say, all traffic offences like speeding; drunk-driving; having no lights.  The knock-on effect would be that Thai police actually work.

If Thai husbands are killing their families over jealousy that has been reported in the news repeatedly; what will they do to a foreigner that reports them to the Police over illegal parking and has their transportation impounded.

That is the job for the Police, not the public in my opinion.

The reward is not worth the risk!

1)  It might discourage them if the sidewalks were not designed with motorcycle ramps ! (no those are not for handicap access) They build ramps right into the walkways so bikes can have easy access....SMH

2) It seems like a great way to get your skull cracked once they find out who dropped a dime on them

Edited by tonray

Fantastic! Can I report police motorcycles on footpaths, too? I'm gonna make a fortune from that.

With whom do I file my report? The officer riding the motorcycle in question? Will he fine himself on the spot and then pay me my half right away (against proper receipt, of course)?

3 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

Fantastic! Can I report police motorcycles on footpaths, too? I'm gonna make a fortune from that.

With whom do I file my report? The officer riding the motorcycle in question? Will he fine himself on the spot and then pay me my half right away (against proper receipt, of course)?

There is a big police station on one of the sois on Sukhumvit where the footpath is often blocked by their motorcycles parked across it.

I have also posted about this before. I see a cop riding along the footpath against the traffic every morning.

Is anyone going to do anything about that?  (no need to answer)

5 hours ago, webfact said:

"Then when a fine has been paid by the owner of the bike you can go to collect your share of the loot."

Sending a photo is one thing, but anybody in their right mind won't want to show their face to anybody when collecting the loot.  I would say that this scheme will just make more work for the police murder squad.

Edited by Moti24

Shop owners just need to take screen shots of scooter riders in violation of the law as they pass in

front of their shops and they will rake in a substantial sum from a new revenue stream. Just make sure

to house the cameras in a protective housing because there will be some irate riders.