Iconic American Harley Davidson Motorcycles to be Made in Thailand

webfact

1 minute ago, halloween said:

I have every idea about an individuals choice of fun, and riding behind a Harley is nobody's idea of fun.

I forgot to add there was another reason Jacko was always last. Combined with lousy fuel consumption, his bike came with a ridiculously small fuel tank, which meant he stopped twice as often for fuel, 3 times more often than the Moto Guzzi which had very similar engine specs.

So what............?

Are you saying you don't like his machine cos it didn't do what yours did....Good Grief Man...

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, transam said:

So what............?

Are you saying you don't like his machine cos it didn't do what yours did....Good Grief Man...

Why should I like something I considered an over-priced pile of crap? H-D is an example of what Americans are best at, advertising. They have convinced half the world that a lousy motorcycle is something to aspire to.

7 minutes ago, halloween said:

Why should I like something I considered an over-priced pile of crap? H-D is an example of what Americans are best at, advertising. They have convinced half the world that a lousy motorcycle is something to aspire to.

My chum has a 1965 Aston Martin convertible, worth a fortune, he could not keep up with my ol' Pontiac, is his ride a crap mobile......?....Open your eyes to individuals fun, and not mine is better than yours cos of this and that.....Keep cool and think of others fun machine....:thumbsup:

1 minute ago, transam said:

My chum has a 1965 Aston Martin convertible, worth a fortune, he could not keep up with my ol' Pontiac, is his ride a crap mobile......?....Open your eyes to individuals fun, and not mine is better than yours cos of this and that.....Keep cool and think of others fun machine....:thumbsup:

BS. At the time this was a new bike, and sold at a considerably higher price than new replacements for the rest of the bikes in the group. Why are we not allowed to compare the functions of the machines we ride, and make value judgements?  Google 'gormless', it is a term used for those lacking in discernment.

BS. At the time this was a new bike, and sold at a considerably higher price than new replacements for the rest of the bikes in the group. Why are we not allowed to compare the functions of the machines we ride, and make value judgements?  Google 'gormless', it is a term used for those lacking in discernment.

YOU seem to be calling folk daft because of their choice of a fun ride...I can tell you that you are not a gear head, a petrol head, and if a bloke had a better ride than you you would be in turmoil..... :stoner:

1 minute ago, transam said:

YOU seem to be calling folk daft because of their choice of a fun ride...I can tell you that you are not a gear head, a petrol head, and if a bloke had a better ride than you you would be in turmoil..... :stoner:

Turmoil, really? I have been riding bikes for 48 years, some of them much better than others, and ALL that time there has been somebody with a better ride than mine. You seem to have a problem when somebody points out that there are many motorcycles available that to everything a motorcycle should do better than a H-D. they must suffer 'mental turmoil', which I suppose is easier than trying to deny the truth of that judgement.

Turmoil, really? I have been riding bikes for 48 years, some of them much better than others, and ALL that time there has been somebody with a better ride than mine. You seem to have a problem when somebody points out that there are many motorcycles available that to everything a motorcycle should do better than a H-D. they must suffer 'mental turmoil', which I suppose is easier than trying to deny the truth of that judgement.

You seem to have no idea what I am talking about, you do not understand what a person wants to have fun...Weeell, that's OK, sort of....You just carry on with your machine and look down on others cos it's not your choice....:smile:

21 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

Gibson parts are made in china but the prices of Gibson USA and epiphones are still as high if not more expensive than what it used to be. 

I dont see a quality drop in Gibson USA but as for epiphones that are MIC compared to previous Japan and Korean models are shit... lol

Anyways I dont think Harleys will be dropping their prices just because it is made in Thailand. 

American Pricing is not the issue. It is what you pay to actually get Bike to your Doorstep!! This is nothing to do with Harley Davidson, it is Customs Officers here in Thailand. It is Deeply an issue from   what is paid to get Bike released, what amount goes into Cash Register and hat goes into Officials pocket. I have seen money counted out and XX amount being separated in his hand. Through slight of hand this separated amount is dropped into desk drawer... I witnessed this when I before leaving desk and asked for Cash back, because I made up excuse I wanted to pay by a different source. (Credit Card, USD etc.) He did not want to but I complained to I guess was Highest Ranking Officer. Telling him I needed to use Baht to get Bike to Chiang Mai... For Expenses etc.. After we walked away from counter as he had totally emptied cash (had to take from second cashiers drawer... he did not have enough!!) draw took picture of him taking cash from Desk and counting it out into cashiers drawer!!! (I bet the algebra math was burning out a hole in his head to get his drawer balanced!!)

Edited by davidstipek

3 minutes ago, davidstipek said:

American Pricing is not the issue. It is what you pay to actually get Bike to your Doorstep!! This is nothing to do with Harley Davidson, it is Customs Officers here in Thailand. It is Deeply an issue from   what is paid to get Bike released, what amount goes into Cash Register and hat goes into Officials pocket. I have seen money counted out and XX amount being separated in his hand. Through slight of hand this separated amount is dropped into desk drawer... I witnessed this when I before leaving desk and asked for Cash back, because I made up excuse I wanted to pay by a different source. (Credit Card, USD etc.) He did not want to but I complained to I guess was Highest Ranking Officer. Telling him I needed to use Baht to get Bike to Chiang Mai... For Expenses etc.. After we walked away from counter as he had totally emptied cash (had to take from second cashiers drawer... he did not have enough!!) draw took picture of him taking cash from Desk and counting it out into cashiers drawer!!! (I bet the algebra math was burning out a hole in his head to get his drawer balanced!!)

I thinking back, I should have used Credit Card! I am absolutely Proof Positive total Taxes here would have been much less as no way to pocket anything!! Then if there was an issue with what was paid, when I went to Chiang Mai Customs Office. I would have had redit Card receipt and Bangkok Customs Receipt!!

4 hours ago, ben2talk said:

They do 'nostalgia' plain rubber grips (like my PCX) for only 70 USD (2400 THB).

I'm sure that they're so much better quality rubber than Honda (THB 412 (12 USD) ~ 410 THB).

My bikes are also works of art and yet, today I paid 120 Bt for a pair of grips.

21 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

My bikes are also works of art and yet, today I paid 120 Bt for a pair of grips.

My point at the time wasn't a price comparison except that you are much more likely to be careful / take care of something that costs so much to repair than a cheaper article, at least I am.  The 120 baht handle grips are a "nothing" to replace the $100 handle grips are.......

Therfore you are a bit more likely to drive safer, with more care.....

Harley is a pose, ZX14 is funfunfun. Anyone who says that some bikes are simply too fast obviously never sent on a GSXR and wound it up to the redline in first and second gear.

Driving a Lada in the snow is fun. Too heavy, too slow... hold on, wait a minute, I think I am beginning to understand now!

5 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

Harley is a pose, ZX14 is funfunfun. Anyone who says that some bikes are simply too fast obviously never sent on a GSXR and wound it up to the redline in first and second gear.

Driving a Lada in the snow is fun. Too heavy, too slow... hold on, wait a minute, I think I am beginning to understand now!

Horses for courses, I could disagree but that just makes me not the same as you....

20 hours ago, RigPig said:

Wont admit what? That the Harley is a great cruiser?

No no,that it falls to pieces any time,It's just a backyard Clunker.No matter where you go they are always being worked on /repaired.got a few friends with some Hogs.now they are waking up and buying Decent bikes.They are not to bad if you have a Backup repair vehicle like they do on the big Bike rides on the Club rides.Sorry,  end of story !

3 minutes ago, digger70 said:

No no,that it falls to pieces any time,It's just a backyard Clunker.No matter where you go they are always being worked on /repaired.got a few friends with some Hogs.now they are waking up and buying Decent bikes.They are not to bad if you have a Backup repair vehicle like they do on the big Bike rides on the Club rides.Sorry,  end of story !

How come you can hire a Harley in the USA as a sort of fly/drive....?

My friend flew to the USA to do exactly that and rode/toured many miles without a hitch, in fact his chum had a hired Harley too.. :smile:

3 hours ago, digger70 said:

And you have owned one and know this from first hand experience no doubt....

They are only always being worked on because there is so much customising that can be done, not just bolt on a new fairing or LED lights.  My Harleys are the ONLY ones of their kind in the world, you could NEVER say that about a modern bike, sure the engineering is more sophisticated, sure they are fast, sure they are lots of things Harleys are not, but mine has NEVER let me down and I like the old school retro stuff the other just doesn't jell.  It's your fantasy / story no one elses, stick to your rice burners / crotch rockets if you want, it's your choice as this is mine,  And frankly I don't give a hoot what you think, opinions are like Aholes, everybody has one and is entightled to it!

I agree Harleys are a work of art, but not a work of engineering. I can look at someone else's for free.

Artist Piero Manzoni put his crap in a can in 1961 and now its worth $80,000. I wonder how many Harley owners would own them if they were better value?

The times I try to have a motorcycle conversation with a Harley rider it becomes clear very quickly their choice is about improving their personal image (and they really need it too). Except the few that admit they have a Jap bike for actual riding and the Harley is for bling.  

5 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Have to agree...I could see Batman on a zx14, not a harley

14 minutes ago, Bikeman93 said:

They were OK in 1903 when they copied the Indian. By the time they introduced the Harley Ego umm... Evo it all went downhill.

You haven't watched "Harley and the Davidsons" have you ?  555

Edited by RigPig
spelling mistake

What is it with you guys?  Suffering from some small syndrome?  It's simple the engineering, the speed all the rest are far superior on other bikes.  But that's not me, my choice is a Harley and I love them!  That doesn't make me inferior, it doesn't make me stupid, it just makes me differnt to you!! Get over it, ride your crotch rockets and have fun!!  If I had enough money i would buy an MV Augusta, but I know I would be dead in a week, because I have no fear of speed, it's not a smart choice for me and at my age I am happy with cruising around on something special, something I made my own... simple really, and it doesn't warrant all of the critisism, do what YOU want and enjoy it, I am.  BUT maybe you can't afford a million Baht for a bike and are not happy with life I don't know what your problem is.  Drive your Toyota Vigo, your Scoopy, your Ninja, just enjoy it and let me enjoy what I like!!

AND remember NEVER assume because it makes an ass out of u and me....