Iconic American Harley Davidson Motorcycles to be Made in Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, RigPig said:

What is it with you guys?  Suffering from some small syndrome?  It's simple the engineering, the speed all the rest are far superior on other bikes.  But that's not me, my choice is a Harley and I love them!  That doesn't make me inferior, it doesn't make me stupid, it just makes me differnt to you!! Get over it, ride your crotch rockets and have fun!!  If I had enough money i would buy an MV Augusta, but I know I would be dead in a week, because I have no fear of speed, it's not a smart choice for me and at my age I am happy with cruising around on something special, something I made my own... simple really, and it doesn't warrant all of the critisism, do what YOU want and enjoy it, I am.  BUT maybe you can't afford a million Baht for a bike and are not happy with life I don't know what your problem is.  Drive your Toyota Vigo, your Scoopy, your Ninja, just enjoy it and let me enjoy what I like!!

AND remember NEVER assume because it makes an ass out of u and me....

You sound like one of the rare Harley owners who realise their bike has shortcomings as all bikes do. Enjoy your ride.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/25/2017 at 11:27 AM, RigPig said:

Who gives a rats about Russian and Chinese tourists, most of them want a pic of themselves next to my bike anyway, more than once I have had to tell them not to sit on the bike!!

The Thai "Monkey Bikes" with the muffler baffles removed are a bigger problem!

Ban all bikes that blast loud noise in Thailand.  Hopefully the bike manufacturing facility will not be developed.

Edited by waders123

7 minutes ago, waders123 said:

Ban all bikes that blast loud noise in Thailand.  Hopefully the bike manufacturing facility will not be developed.

Better off to ban all scooters with home made side cars or enforce the helmet laws... good luck with that one.....

34 minutes ago, Bikeman93 said:

You sound like one of the rare Harley owners who realise their bike has shortcomings as all bikes do. Enjoy your ride.

I do, but it depends whether you see them as short comings or style haha!

Just now, RigPig said:

Better off to ban all scooters with home made side cars or enforce the helmet laws... good luck with that one.....

I know you are a die-hard HD fanboy. When you sit around with your hearing leaving you, don't you wonder, (or care), how many people you have wrecked havoc on with your loud bike?  I find most HD riders are usually good-hearted people but are all seem to be blind, (and Deaf), when it comes to the noise of their steeds.   I have seen and heard HD bikes that have the proper muffler system on them and the noise is within acceptable standards. That should be the standard for ALL bikes. period

if you have ever heard a factory FLH police special ,with no mods..they are amazingly quite ,just a slight purr/rumble,with a bit of a chunky idle...sweetsounds.....loud bikes are always loud owners...

Edited by mok199
spelling

38 minutes ago, RigPig said:

I do, but it depends whether you see them as short comings or style haha!

I know guys that sleep with fat chicks I wouldn't be seen dead with. Come to think of it, most rode Harleys, probably needed the torque to shift that weight.

23 minutes ago, waders123 said:

I know you are a die-hard HD fanboy. When you sit around with your hearing leaving you, don't you wonder, (or care), how many people you have wrecked havoc on with your loud bike?  I find most HD riders are usually good-hearted people but are all seem to be blind, (and Deaf), when it comes to the noise of their steeds.   I have seen and heard HD bikes that have the proper muffler system on them and the noise is within acceptable standards. That should be the standard for ALL bikes. period

Well firstly you have no idea how loud my bikes are, and wrecking havoc as you put it is just a bonus,  As I stated previously my bikes pass the noise emmissions test EVERY year, I can't see it being shonky as it is all done in front of a camera linked to Bangkokand recorded!  I am not breaking the law so I don't see why I should care about other peoples biased views or hurt feelings.  There are standards and if anything I OVER comply!!

Just now, halloween said:

I know guys that sleep with fat chicks I wouldn't be seen dead with. Come to think of it, most rode Harleys, probably needed the torque to shift that weight.

That is just a plain insult, not constructive in any way shape or form!  And if my memory serves me correctly is against forum rules.  If you have nothing intelligent to say please keep it to yourself....

Just now, RigPig said:

That is just a plain insult, not constructive in any way shape or form!  And if my memory serves me correctly is against forum rules.  If you have nothing intelligent to say please keep it to yourself....

I saw it as just a comment on personal taste. Did I hit a nerve?

2 minutes ago, halloween said:

I saw it as just a comment on personal taste. Did I hit a nerve?

No but I think it's time you realised the world DOESN'T revolve around you and no one has to conform to your "stringent" archaic set of rules, just because you think so....

Plus not everyone is the same, you don't know me and don't know my tastes!

6 minutes ago, RigPig said:

Well firstly you have no idea how loud my bikes are, and wrecking havoc as you put it is just a bonus,  As I stated previously my bikes pass the noise emmissions test EVERY year, I can't see it being shonky as it is all done in front of a camera linked to Bangkokand recorded!  I am not breaking the law so I don't see why I should care about other peoples biased views or hurt feelings.  There are standards and if anything I OVER comply!!

Well good for you!  LOL  And if your bikes are mufflered to not require ear plugs or sound suppressors of some sort as they pass by then I apologize in grouping you with the herd of noisy cruisers.  As for the #noisyHD's may karma be their reward.  Peace Brother, May the force be with you!

6 minutes ago, waders123 said:

Well good for you!  LOL  And if your bikes are mufflered to not require ear plugs or sound suppressors of some sort as they pass by then I apologize in grouping you with the herd of noisy cruisers.  As for the #noisyHD's may karma be their reward.  Peace Brother, May the force be with you!

As I have stated numerous times the Thais on their "Monkey Bikes", that they pull the baffles out of are far more annoying and that is what you guys should be peeved about as there are many of them!  The number of Harleys around are miniscure in comparison, but I guess this has become a Harley bashing thread, because the people who ride them choose (generally) not to conform with other peoples views......

STIFF !!

Ting is when yer young,yer crafty. Noises is Safer, Heavy Tints reduce Heat, super acceleration makes for safer overtaking, when really it was just cobblers, looked good , went good , n folks looked at You.When yer get old , you still look, but Tink Dick Head , not That's Cool. Same with Fortuna Truck Drivers,only they are old , and still recon folks look .Enjoy being Young, blast away, Sod em All.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

8 hours ago, RigPig said:

(snip)  It's simple the engineering, the speed all the rest are far superior on other bikes.  But that's not me, my choice is a Harley and I love them!  That doesn't make me inferior, it doesn't make me stupid, it just makes me different to you!! (snip)

Yes, I can relate to this.

I have three bikes, two Honda C90's (1980 & 1981) and a Honda C70 (1982). The only bike I can think of that is slower than me is a C50. All have custom paint jobs with loads of chrome. I love them to bits and the amount of offers I've had to sell them makes me think I'm not alone.

For Phuket, they're ideal due to the traffic. Being narrower than all modern scooters, I always get to the front of a queue.

But, this thread is about HDs. They used to be quite rare here, but, not anymore and it isn't only foreigners that ride them. I would say most of the ones I have seen on the road are being driven by Thais, Malaysians and Singaporeans, every bike different. HD's lend themselves to personal creativity, which I don't think is a bad thing.

I think you can split most riders into three different groups. One group just want a practical, inexpensive bike for transport as they can't afford a car. The second group want performance and superior handling and the third group want a bike with character that they can customize that shows their own character.

Nothing wrong with any of the groups, they just have different motivations. They are all two wheel aficionados.

post-89533-0-78320300-1440632576.jpg.4ac511164c58c7af4af313264323c88e.jpg

Edited by KarenBravo

3 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Yes, I can relate to this.

I have three bikes, two Honda C90's (1980 & 1981) and a Honda (C70). The only bike I can think of that is slower than me is a C50. All have custom paint jobs with loads of chrome. I love them to bits and the amount of offers I've had to sell them makes me think I'm not alone.

For Phuket, they're ideal due to the traffic. Being narrower than all modern scooters, I always get to the front of a queue.

But, this thread is about HDs. They used to be quite rare here, but, not anymore and it isn't only foreigners that ride them. I would say most of the ones I have seen on the road are being driven by Thais, Malaysians and Singaporeans, every bike different. HD's lend themselves to personal creativity, which I don't think is a bad thing.

I think you can split most riders into three different groups. One group just want a practical, inexpensive bike for transport as they can't afford a car. The second group want performance and superior handling and the third group want a bike with character that they can customize that shows their own character.

Nothing wrong with any of the groups, they just have different motivations. They are all two wheel aficionados.

post-89533-0-78320300-1440632576.jpg.4ac511164c58c7af4af313264323c88e.jpg

WELL SAID!!

Love the bike, I personally would prefer that over some super engineered crotch rocket any day, it's beutiful, and classy!!

20 minutes ago, RigPig said:

As I have stated numerous times the Thais on their "Monkey Bikes", that they pull the baffles out of are far more annoying and that is what you guys should be peeved about as there are many of them!  The number of Harleys around are miniscure in comparison, but I guess this has become a Harley bashing thread, because the people who ride them choose (generally) not to conform with other peoples views......

STIFF !!

OK, I see now, the public shouldn't look your way regarding the noise some of the HD's create because you are few in number.  Someone's pointing at someone else and not stepping up to the plate to take responsibly of being irresponsible themselves.  Where do you think the "other bike" people got the idea to make their bikes noisy?  The Harley Davidson Loud Bike Culture; of course.  

Perhaps not off topic, you have all heard of the zillionaire Joe Leno, well he puts a lot of his wealth into accumulating a huge selection bikes and cars from near every era and various countries. Here is a list of many vids on each of his bikes, very enjoyable, and from a guy who appreciates all types of m/cycles including Harley's.  Enjoy...

When I'm not riding a bike, I must admit that loud bikes are annoying, but, so are sound-trucks, temple fairs, Thais on their telephones, Thais with their installed sound systems that are worth than their vehicles, but, hey, this is Thailand, where generally, noise isn't annoying to the locals.

When I am riding a bike, there is nothing more disconcerting than have a quiet bike zoom past me on the wrong side missing me by centimetres. When I hear a load motorbike, at least it gives me the chance to look in the mirror and move in the correct direction to let them pass.

BREAKING NEWS

Harley Davidson to source exhaust systems from China.

Willie G Davidson is quoted as stating when their plant in Thailand is up and running they will embrace the ASEAN concept in both sales and manufacturing.  The Plant in Thailand will give them the ability to take full advantage of the market in Asia for both sales and sourcing parts for both the home market and the "local" Asian market, which has been climbing in recent years more than the domestic market has declined.  He said "We will be offering competitive finance deals similar to the States to promote local sales and increase the awareness in the local market competing directly with brands such as Ducati, Triumph  and Kawasaki"

A spokesman for the manufacturing department said " The use of ASEAN mufflers will allow us to not have to compy with local noise and emmission laws with the reciprical arrngements in place between ASEAN countries"

4 minutes ago, RigPig said:

BREAKING NEWS

Harley Davidson to source exhaust systems from China.

Willie G Davidson is quoted as stating when their plant in Thailand is up and running they will embrace the ASEAN concept in both sales and manufacturing.  The Plant in Thailand will give them the ability to take full advantage of the market in Asia for both sales and sourcing parts for both the home market and the "local" Asian market, which has been climbing in recent years more than the domestic market has declined.  He said "We will be offering competitive finance deals similar to the States to promote local sales and increase the awareness in the local market competing directly with brands such as Ducati, Triumph  and Kawasaki"

A spokesman for the manufacturing department said " The use of ASEAN mufflers will allow us to not have to compy with local noise and emmission laws with the reciprical arrngements in place between ASEAN countries"

Are you saying that an ASEAN manufactured muffler is somehow exempt from local noise or emissions laws ?

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Are you saying that an ASEAN manufactured muffler is somehow exempt from local noise or emissions laws ?

The way I understand it is that if it is legal in ANY ASEAN country it is deemed to be legal in all ASEAN countries...

Edited by RigPig
Mis Typing