Feared computer crime law goes into effect

snoop1130

Feared computer crime law goes into effect

By The Nation

93efcd4f909e670b47fa016df636ec2c.jpeg

File Photo

BANGKOK: -- The highly controversial computer crimes law came into effect on Wednesday after it was published in the Royal Gazette in January.

The new law comes into effect 120 days after its publication in the Gazette.

Before the enactment, the bill was strongly opposed by many public members as well as civil society groups. Critics voiced concerns over some clauses as being vague and the possibility of them affecting the exercise of rights and freedom of the people.

More than 300,000 people signed a petition on the website change.org, voicing their opposition to the bill, when it came up for final reading late last year but the National Legislative Assembly passed the bill.

Some of the contentious points in the law includes posting false information online that was not defamatory.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30316322

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-5-25

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The simple solution is; be cautious with everything you, post, say and do online, including what we post here on TV. (Don`t trust it), because Big Brother is watching and listening in.

It is only too easy to trip up and jeopardise our freedoms by our actions online for many things that we may consider are trivial, which can get us into a whole lot of trouble.  Contrary to the popular beliefs of many that our identities can be hidden online, is a myth.

The simple solution is; be cautious with everything you, post, say and do online, including what we post here on TV. (Don`t trust it), because Big Brother is watching and listening in.

It is only too easy to trip up and jeopardise our freedoms by our actions online for many things that we may consider are trivial, which can get us into a whole lot of trouble.  Contrary to the popular beliefs of many that our identities can be hidden online, is a myth.

"Big Brother is watching and listening in.

It is only too easy to trip up and jeopardise our freedoms..."

Judging by your post I don't see any freedoms left to jeopardise anyway :mellow:

I know at least one big brother here on TV who must not be named....

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

one can even be prosecuted for comments in their PMs if it was deem defamatory. 

3 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

An integral part of freedom in this day and age is the freedom to post what is on your mind online.

35 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

one can even be prosecuted for comments in their PMs if it was deem defamatory. 

Right. I have warned people in my family and friends both in Thailand and abroad to be careful what they say on facebook. I would even be careful what we say here on TV or any other Thai forums.

Think this is paranoia, are people willing to take the chance that its not. We all ready know that government spies are watching us and even if not, whatever we do online can be reported. 

1 minute ago, cyberfarang said:

Right. I have warned people in my family and friends both in Thailand and abroad to be careful what they say on facebook. I would even be careful what we say here on TV or any other Thai forums.

Think this is paranoia, are people willing to take the chance that its not. We all ready know that government spies are watching us and even if not, whatever we do online can be reported. 

There do not need to be a government spy. maybe someone that holds a grudge or is jealous of you or eyeing your fortune, is enough to do damage to you.

Always be mindful who you speak to about politics and taboo matters in this country.

Just now, baboon said:

An integral part of freedom in this day and age is the freedom to post what is on your mind online.

But it`s not, otherwise the government would not have introduced the Computer Crimes Act and people would not be serving prison sentences for clicking a like on facebook.

5 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Given the nature of posts like yours, I can quite believe there are 'government' snoops out there only too happy to grass on its critics on forums such as these.

Just now, Moonmoon said:

There do not need to be a government spy. maybe someone that holds a grudge or is jealous of you or eyeing your fortune, is enough to do damage to you.

Always be mindful who you speak to about politics and taboo matters in this country.

Exactly. Thailand is not a democratic country that allows free speech. Imagine for example if posters on facebook where to slag off the Thai prime minister as they do Donald Trump, or even minor officials for that matter.  Quoting a Thai policeman`s bad attitude on facebook can get someone a prison sentence.

All I can say to posters is be careful and then it`s up to them.

2 minutes ago, baboon said:

Given the nature of posts like yours, I can quite believe there are 'government' snoops out there only too happy to grass on its critics on forums such as these.

All I can say to posters is be careful and then it`s up to them.

Forums are prime hunting grounds for security forces.

Some of the FMs who lean towards supporting these Muslim atrocities seem completely ignorant to the fact that they can be traced even on a virtual IP address.

May their stupidity continue.

It's nice to know that some of us are not shut up by these little men with no brains who cannot stand criticism, we can say what we want and will and no scum bag can do a thing about it.

Million gave there lives for freedom in the 40's, do you think these little Hitlers scare us.

Edited by wakeupplease

4 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

It's nice to know that some of us are not shut up by these little men with no brains who cannot stand criticism, we can say what we want and will and no scum bag can do a thing about it.

Million gave there lives for freedom in the 40's, do you think these little Hitlers scare us.

I'm not too big to say that, yes, some of these little Hitlers in Thailand DO worry me.  I don't want to end up like these high profile foreigners who said things that upset the wrong people, you know guys like Andrew Drummond and Jonathan Head.  That's not to say that I don't admire them for saying the things they do, but at the same time I think it is important to be aware that we're not in our homelands and the price to pay for upsetting locals can be rather high.

I can say anything I want in Australia but that is not to say that I will comment without restraint and respect.  Freedom of speech does not mean verbally spraying everyone and everything you don't care for.

in Thailand I keep my thoughts to myself.  I really don't want to end up in trouble with the law in Thailand.  Keeping my mouth shut in a foreign country is a small price to pay to maintain my liberty.

Using a VPN?

People can still trace you with other methods. Just because your IP is different and your traffic is encrypted in a tunnel doesn't mean you can't be tracked. There are other ways people can track you. For example:

• they can find who you are by doxing
  • your IP isn't the only thing that identifies you on the internet
  • your VPN service can see your IP and what you are doing and if hacked or owned by someone who wants to find you they can
  • they can install malware that is hard to detect and can be installed without you knowing, which means your info will be leaked from the malware
  • your VPN can leak your real IP at times.

There are MANY more things that people can use to track you that will take too long to explain.

If you want to be safe, install an anti-virus, anti-malware, and firewall (if you don't wanna pay there are free versions, but remember you get what you pay for), don't mess with anyone (even if you don't suspect them to be a hacker), and don't act tough on the internet. I recommend you still use a VPN because it is another layer of security, but remember you can be tracked if you are their top priority and if they are smart.

There are not necessarily snoops looking for stuff all the time. But I assure you, that should they want to snoop, they can dig up your posts across and on many sites.  If you have jobs that require security investigations, or if you are ever involved in some lawsuit, it doesn't take much for agencies to start pulling things out. Comments on Yahoo, google, youtube?  Open season.  Facebook? Twitter?  all transactions are logged and stored and could be made available legally, or even accidentally leaked.  Digital writings have a long lifetime.  In years past a passing comment might be forgotten.  Not necessarily true today.

Using a VPN?

Using a VPN is easily identified by the ISP, and is sure to be one red-flag for the "authorities" to further investigate those person using VPNs.

The recently enacted "laws" are actually amendments to the existing 2007 (post another coup, shocker) CCA.

There are plenty of legal reviews of these amendments out there for easy viewing.

In essence, these new amendments give the "authorities" the power to charge anyone who does anything electronically that they find objectionable. The terms are so broad as to charge someone (probably a red-shirt) who complains about the weather in Thailand as causing unrest.

Edited by mtls2005

I am going on the record here to say:

1. I love the PM, the military, the police, the justice system, the men and women we entrust to guide us on pathway to true democracy

2. I support the removal of elected government by the military at any time for any reason. They are the true guardians of democracy

3. Thailand has the most dedicated, hard working public servants whose only goal is to return happiness to each and every one

4. If I ever posted something that may seem counter to above statements, it was merely to encourage others to pause and think for a moment, to reflect on why my statements were wrong, thus spreading appreciation of the wonders of a culture that never will be matched

Thank you

1 hour ago, habanero said:

Using a VPN?

People can still trace you with other methods. Just because your IP is different and your traffic is encrypted in a tunnel doesn't mean you can't be tracked. There are other ways people can track you. For example:

• they can find who you are by doxing
  • your IP isn't the only thing that identifies you on the internet
  • your VPN service can see your IP and what you are doing and if hacked or owned by someone who wants to find you they can
  • they can install malware that is hard to detect and can be installed without you knowing, which means your info will be leaked from the malware
  • your VPN can leak your real IP at times.

There are MANY more things that people can use to track you that will take too long to explain.

If you want to be safe, install an anti-virus, anti-malware, and firewall (if you don't wanna pay there are free versions, but remember you get what you pay for), don't mess with anyone (even if you don't suspect them to be a hacker), and don't act tough on the internet. I recommend you still use a VPN because it is another layer of security, but remember you can be tracked if you are their top priority and if they are smart.

Agree with most of what you say.

However,

1) Doxing is not that simple. The prerequisite for a successful doxing exercise is a digital footprint.

If you have virtually none, e.g. no social media accounts, then easier said than done.

2) You think it's easy to hack a good & reliable VPN service and/or crack a 256-bit encryption?

A 256-bit key = 2256 or 1.1 x 1077 combinations = 115,792,089,237,316,195,423,570,985,008,687,907,853,269,984,665, 

640,560,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 combinations [for a brute force attack]

3) Reliable VPN's won't leak your real IP.

You can perform a DNS leak test to check this.

Furthermore, most VPN's will have an option to only use the VPN provider's DNS servers.

The last point I want to make is addressing another poster's comment that an ISP can detect your usage of a VPN.

This is incorrect & it is really, really, really dangerous to spread inaccurate information.

A more accurate answer - it depends on the VPN protocol.

OpenVPN TCP uses port 443 which masks your VPN traffic as normal, secure web traffic e.g. online banking.

Most banks/financial institutions use 443, so governments/ISP's know that blocking 443 is not possible.

39 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

1. I love the PM, the military, the police, the justice system, the men and women we entrust to guide us on pathway to true democracy

2. I support the removal of elected government by the military at any time for any reason. They are the true guardians of democracy

3. Thailand has the most dedicated, hard working public servants whose only goal is to return happiness to each and every one

4. If I ever posted something that may seem counter to above statements, it was merely to encourage others to pause and think for a moment, to reflect on why my statements were wrong, thus spreading appreciation of the wonders of a culture that never will be matched

Thank you

Hmmm, I just liked your post without realizing the potential consequences of my actions.

I read your points as genuine endorsement to the wonderful job that is currently being undertaken by those in charge.

But then I read the 'Thank You' at the end and am no longer confident of my first reading.

:smile: 

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

There are not necessarily snoops looking for stuff all the time. But I assure you, that should they want to snoop, they can dig up your posts across and on many sites.  If you have jobs that require security investigations, or if you are ever involved in some lawsuit, it doesn't take much for agencies to start pulling things out. Comments on Yahoo, google, youtube?  Open season.  Facebook? Twitter?  all transactions are logged and stored and could be made available legally, or even accidentally leaked.  Digital writings have a long lifetime.  In years past a passing comment might be forgotten.  Not necessarily true today.

The real worry case is as mentioned above, when a neighbor or someone has a grudge against you and reports you.  The Eye of Sauron then turns to look in your direction and there is no magic ring to slip on that hides you.  Corruption and snitching are a terrible way to run a society I think.  I hope that's not Thailand's "final answer."   

2 hours ago, Emster23 said:

Thank you

I totally agree with your thoughts here.  Hurrah and call me a licker of bottoms and I will forward to one of the above anyone who is a snitch or likes shirts in a crimson/scarlet colour.  

14 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

No need to worry about jeopardizing our freedoms they are already compromised.