Triathlon

champers

Ahaa this might explain why they have lots of white traffic barriers waiting to be set up at all the U-turns on Sukhumvit (at least in Na-Jomtien)

Normally they start early hours and are finished before most of the city awakens.

Yeah, Beach Road will be shut down from 26-5 afternoon for at least 18 hours. 

The route goes from Beach Road, South Pattaya Road, 2nd Road/Thappraya, Jomtien 2nd Road, Sukhumvit.

The entire happening including roadblocks should be over with around 9 a.m.

Just noticed that it will be on 27 and 28 May

17 minutes ago, johng said:

Normally they start early hours and are finished before most of the city awakens.

Fortunately this event is far far from what I understand as a triathlon.

More like a breakfast run.

World best times for a real triathlon are close to 9 hours.

Nine minutes in this heat would be enough for me.

Nine minutes of running,swimming or cycling ? I think i could do 9 minutes of cycling...maybe :P

" The course includes a 1500m swim at Pattaya beach, a 40km / 25km cycle on flat roads through the Sukhumvit highway and a 10km / 5km run through Pattaya beachfront leading into the most popular nightlife area ”Pattaya Walking Street” " !

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Fortunately this event is far far from what I understand as a triathlon.

More like a breakfast run.

World best times for a real triathlon are close to 9 hours.

There are several official distances for triathlons, such as sprint and olympic. I understand they are having both these two in Pattaya this weekend. The 9 hour event you are referring to is likely to be classified as a full Iron Man. That's a 180k cycle, full marathon run, and a 3.9km swim. A quick google tells me that the world record for an Iron Man is 7 hours 44 minutes. 

Benq,

Lived on the Big Island and watched several Ironmans in October. Clean waters for the swim and long straightaways for the run and bike ride. Most of the time there are cool ocean breezes too.  A great event!

Nine minutes of running,swimming or cycling ? I think i could do 9 minutes of cycling...maybe [emoji14]

" The course includes a 1500m swim at Pattaya beach, a 40km / 25km cycle on flat roads through the Sukhumvit highway and a 10km / 5km run through Pattaya beachfront leading into the most popular nightlife area ”Pattaya Walking Street” " !

Followed by a week in Pattaya Bangkok hospital having a stomach pump and an intensive course of antibiotics.

Sent from my Lenovo K52e78 using Tapatalk

Did my 6am run north on beach road and was quite surprised to see what must have been 1,000 thais running the other way. A smattering of farangs in there as well. Lots of yellow/black shirts which I think said 5k 10k.