Work Permit Advice Please

Firstly, I am not new to Thailand having  lived and worked here for 14 years, always legally. 

I left my last employment three months ago and obtained a Non Imm O visa based on marriage.

I have a job offer for a start up company that is not yet operating in Thailand,  it is headquartered in China. For the next three months they want me to work in Thailand but paid from China, onc3 completely set up in three months then it will convert to Thailand and a work permit..

Is it legal for me to work here while paid from China?

Edited by kingkenny

Just now, Crossy said:

Technically no, but what will you be doing, highly visible or working on the net from home?

It will be contacting and visiting clients, in the same industry I worked in previously. The risk is the old company contacting immigration to check my work status  

If you are going to be visiting the same clients and treading on the toes of your old company I would be very, very careful.

What does your old contract say about new employment in the same industry?

Contract said no for two years, however when I left we both signed an agreement that said there can be no legal redress on either side, I believe that negates my contract.  That said I want everything to be legal with the new employer, I dont want the risk of working illegally.  

4 hours ago, kingkenny said:

Contract said no for two years, however when I left we both signed an agreement that said there can be no legal redress on either side, I believe that negates my contract.  That said I want everything to be legal with the new employer, I dont want the risk of working illegally.  

kk

I would check with a lawyer about the contract and letter.

I am in the same boat and am treading lightly as i am going to be taking customers away from my old employer.  Therefore I am making sure all my I are dotted.

The cost of talking to a REAL immigration lawyer may be beneficial also I think your business will need a local legal firm so it wouldn't be a bad time to check that out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

I am in the same boat and am treading lightly as i am going to be taking customers away from my old employer.  Therefore I am making sure all my I are dotted.

Obviously you need to think about how strong the reactions of the old employer could be.

- Violence?

- Tell customers you and your new employer are untrustworthy and unreliable, you break agreements, unethical  etc?

59 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Obviously you need to think about how strong the reactions of the old employer could be.

- Violence?

- Tell customers you and your new employer are untrustworthy and unreliable, you break agreements, unethical  etc?

In my case it's a global company, there will not be violence and I will not be bad mouthing them, simply offering an alternative. I can't see my working as bring an issue based on what was deigned when I left, if they break that it opens it up for me to pursue them further also. 

The work permit is my issue and I won't risk as I am married with children, deportation is not an option for me. 

3 minutes ago, kingkenny said:

In my case it's a global company, there will not be violence and I will not be bad mouthing them, simply offering an alternative. I can't see my working as bring an issue based on what was deigned when I left, if they break that it opens it up for me to pursue them further also. 

The work permit is my issue and I won't risk as I am married with children, deportation is not an option for me. 

Nice post. I was not seriously suggesting violence, etc., and in reality I know nothing about your work etc., and your work is not my business.

It is of course possible that a few business people can get serious about these things. 

I admire that your focus is on your wife and children and their well being.

• Like 1