‘I tried my best’ says mayor to Bangkokians wading through floodwater

webfact

‘I tried my best’ says mayor to Bangkokians wading through floodwater

By Coconuts Bangkok 

c1.jpg

Photo: @wealthmeup/Twitter

BANGKOK: -- The governor of Bangkok apologized to city residents yesterday after one of the worst floods the city has suffered in years.

After expressing his regret, Aswin Kwanmuang invoked a phrase most often used by kids that come home with bad report cards. He said, “I tried my best.”

He followed this platitude up by saying that he, “truly understands how badly the people are suffering the consequences of the floods. I apologize for this trouble with no excuses and I am willing to listen to all complaints and criticism.”

The mayor spent yesterday morning visiting some of the worst flood sites after the city was pounded with seven hours of rain the night before, leading to flooding that caused school closures and many people stuck in their homes on Thursday

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/tried-best-says-mayor-bangkokians-wading-floodwater/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-05-26

Everywhere there will be more flooding every year, main reason is all the construction/concrete being laid.

Each year there is less open ground to help absorb the water.

Why can city planners, developers not see this?

2 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Geez, did you not get the memo.

It's not "flooding", but rather 'water queuing to drain'. Bangkok is a monkey-cheek, we should probably get used to it.

Agreed...  With so much concrete the roads would all have to slope directly the sea to handle this level of rainfall in such a short spell. 

Any city in the world would flood under such circumstances. Systems are simply not designed or able to cope with such amounts of water (167mm over night).

That said: IF the drains are doing their job, all roads and most areas should be clear of pooled water by now. 

7 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Everywhere there will be more flooding every year, main reason is all the construction/concrete being laid.

The rain came so quickly and in such quantity the soil would not have sufficient time to absorb water. 

Even if Bangkok was all tree's and grass, there would still be flooding under such a deluge but perhaps to a lesser degree.

The only answer would be to design 'floodway's' directly to the sea. The issue here is that there is not much of an elevation difference from Bangkok to the Sea.  

12 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Perhaps their eyes are obscured by $$$$$$$

5 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Geez, did you not get the memo.

It's not "flooding", but rather 'water queuing to drain'. Bangkok is a monkey-cheek, we should probably get used to it.

This is easy to say but I will anyway.

Bangkok is the Asian answer to Venice.

Low lying huge city on a flood plain one way and the encroaching sea on the other. 

The capital needs to move because the development  cannot compete with the failing water dispersal infrastructure.

Say, anywhere on high ground a satellite city needs to be developed. Good luck, cheers 

BKK is doomed. Not only have they no flood drainage ideas/plans/strategy for water either coming from the sky or from north of BKK but a small rise in sea level will render the place permanently underwater. There are options.

22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That said: IF the drains are doing their job, all roads and most areas should be clear of pooled water by now. 

It will not be a cheap fix. But Thailand is awash with money (not just water). Start now I say! Ch-o-ch I am here if you need help!

Edited by owl sees all
syntax error

23 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Singapore had exactly these problems as the city developed in the 80s & 90s, they were able to react to the problem though and constructed, changed, expanded drainage as was required, what has Bangkok done?

Nothing, so the flooding will only get worse, doesn't help that the city continues to sink either! Bring in the submarines, for the price of one could have upgraded the drainage system substantially.

“I tried my best.”

The saddest part about this. It was his best.

I'm still not sure why swimming lessons are not mandatory in Bangkok schools. It might be the only skill that will make a difference in those students' lives. 

Edited by jaltsc

Well I saw no help, assistance or drainage from anyone yesterday morning when I was stuck in my car for 4 hrs to travel 10km. So no mate, your best aint good enough. I bet he was tucked up in bed watching lakorn :wink:

This is not easy for one guy to solve. A 20 year plan with plenty of dosh will be the only way.

Some of the posts on this topic are spot-on;

canals blocked

BKK sinking

Very flat - little run off slope to the sea

more 'big rain' in the future

swimming lessons

rising sea levels.

But the big thing that is missing here is the political will to do any thing about it.

Edited by owl sees all
syntax error

8 minutes ago, wirat69 said:

When your best just isn't good enough......!!!!

I kind of like the honesty of the mayor. And it was a huge downpour over a few hours. Any place on earth would have flood problems.

I will need to close down soon. The biggest storm front I have seen this year is brewing and if I have my directions right, after it has passed me it should hit Bangkok tonight.

3 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

This is not easy for one guy to solve. A 20 year plan with plenty of dosh will be the only way.

Some of the posts on this topic are spot-on;

canals blocked

BKK sinking

Very flat - little run off slope to the sea

more 'big rain' in the future

swimming lessons

rising sea levels.

But the big thing that is missing here is the political will to do any thing about it.

Agree but a little unfair. There are many ad hoc attempts to improve the canals and drainage. 

But overall, it needs a totally committed and united plan and action to remedy the problem.

I say remedy because a cure is impossible. Relocation is the only long term plan and further building in Bangkok only exacerbates the problem

Jeez, this clown is actually trying to get political mileage out of this when people are knee deep in water?   It's one thing to stand up and take responsibility for your actions, or in-actions, but apologizing and taking personal responsibility for rain and subsequent flooding and making it all about YOU, is narcissistic, childish attention seeking behavior.

OK, you feel bad, and understand the people's suffering.  Got it.  Now drop the woe is me pity party, grab a bucket and start bailing, mate.

Yes I agree.

There seems to be plenty of dosh for other things but this is probably one of the most important medium term environmental problem Thailand faces.

9 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

But overall, it needs a totally committed and united plan and action to remedy the problem.

I say remedy because a cure is impossible. Relocation is the only long term plan and further building in Bangkok only exacerbates the problem

Every time there is a 'big flood'  there is unseen damage caused. It wouldn't surprise me if some foundations soon start to give cause for concern. Moving water is irresistible.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Because you assume there is something like that when there is not.

Just like with roads, can't count how many of them go from 3 lanes to 2 or vice versa where one lane will cut off another one because they will drive "straight" across from their lane ignoring the bends that are forced into the pattern mostly, or rather also, due to those goddamn annoying street islands everywhere there is a chance to put them, which in turn offer you a U-turn that gets little to no separate lane kilometers down the road where you had no intention of even going.

There is more than 1 issue to be had here, "Planners" are 1 in a billion in Thailand though.

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Singapore had exactly these problems as the city developed in the 80s & 90s, they were able to react to the problem though and constructed, changed, expanded drainage as was required, what has Bangkok done?

Nothing, so the flooding will only get worse, doesn't help that the city continues to sink either! Bring in the submarines, for the price of one could have upgraded the drainage system substantially.

On a couple of these threads people are using examples of other developed cities in their criticism of Bangkok. However, they (you CGW) are using arguments based on flawed opinion which can be readily disputed with a simple google search. 

Singapore suffered flash foods this year...

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/environment/flash-floods-in-orchard-road-central-areas-as-heavy-rains-blanket-island

http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/singapore-hit-flash-floods-after-heavy-rain

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Try harder. 

They need to come to the realization that they need outside help  -  what ever happened to the famouse 'Bangkok Flood Tunnel' that was supposed to be finished in February 2017??  The picture appeared massive.