Why do you think Thailand is special

crystal sauce

12 minutes ago, Naam said:

i reject the opinion that it is important what government a host country has, especially for a retiree. we experienced "democratic" :cheesy: Thailand and experience now for the second time military rule (not to mention twice military rule in Nigeria).  personally i think that military rule is the best that can happen to countries like Thailand.

I tend to agree things are a lot less chaotic with the current system. Although the allegedly Communist country of Vietnam seems to have a lot less police and army presence than "democratic" Thailand.

When I took my Thai GF to Australia last year, she kept asking where the police and army were. She could not understand a country without checkpoints.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Now, now Trans. My thoughts on this are any more than a handful is a waste, and a well-shaped butt beats all. So Thailand is paradise for me in that regard. And I do a lot of regarding.

Well I like being dominated by them.....sarcastic-applause-smiley-emoticon.gif.fd1e7c1e35148ddcc161475759101078.gif

1 hour ago, Naam said:

i reject the opinion that it is important what government a host country has, especially for a retiree. we experienced "democratic" :cheesy: Thailand and experience now for the second time military rule (not to mention twice military rule in Nigeria).  personally i think that military rule is the best that can happen to countries like Thailand.

Worked well for Nigeria, much more pleasant with the military in control.

On 5/27/2017 at 4:36 AM, sirineou said:

I am only kidding with you.

Every country is special in its own way.

Thailand at the very least has more Thai people than any other country in the world

It's indisputably the Hub of Thai people .:tongue:

I think the Op wants to know what makes it special to each one of us. 

To me it goes back to my above statement, The Thai people, I just love them. the good, the bad, and the ugly, and the Very Pretty!!

I am fascinated by them. a delicious mixture of all of it. 

????? Did a couple of posts get deleted?

The women are what makes Thailand special for me. The only really good looking women back home seem to be the Asians.

Also the live as you want as long as you don't stuff up culture.

And, the lack of PC.

8 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Now, now Trans. My thoughts on this are any more than a handful is a waste, and a well-shaped butt beats all. So Thailand is paradise for me in that regard. And I do a lot of regarding.

My opinion has always been that a BSM is the right size.

If anyone doesn't know what that is, I'm not spelling it out on here.

Back home one never bothers to check out the butt, but here the butt can be as attractive as the front.

10 hours ago, kannot said:

I beg to differ on the dictatorship issue which was my  point ,not whether you had a good  life there which I dont dispute.

The government of Saudi Arabia is led by the monarch, King Salman, who acceded to the throne on 23 January 2015. No political parties or national elections are permitted[3] and according to The Economist's 2010 Democracy Index, the Saudi government was the seventh most authoritarian regime from among the 167 countries rated.[6] Government is dominated by the royal family.[7]

I actually enjoyed not having a bunch of politicians all lying to me in Saudi. The Royals are not the problem there- the mutawas are.

16 hours ago, Naam said:

Riyadh is not exactly the place to live when you have a wife. but Al Khobar/Dammam and Jeddah offered whatever one needed (included pork chops, ham, sausage, wine and sadiqi). we never lived in a compound and had no security issues. that was the time when we didn't lock the car or the house.

Riyadh is not exactly the place to live when you have a wife.

Why not?

Married people had a far better life in Riyadh than single men. One could actually have a social life, and they were always popular as they could act as chaperones.

I wasn't even allowed on overnight social club trips to the desert, though single women and couples were.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I actually enjoyed not having a bunch of politicians all lying to me in Saudi. The Royals are not the problem there- the mutawas are.

Or as Donald Trump would say ... King Solomon.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Riyadh is not exactly the place to live when you have a wife.

Why not?

Married people had a far better life in Riyadh than single men. One could actually have a social life, and they were always popular as they could act as chaperones.

I wasn't even allowed on overnight social club trips to the desert, though single women and couples were.

You should have moved to Jeddah ... plenty of parties there!

Edited by AlexRich

On 5/27/2017 at 6:51 PM, kannot said:

many would dispute your fact especially the ones locked up for voicing their opinion on the state of "their" country

Erm. If people know not to talk about a certain subject and still do so, their fate is of their own making. It's pretty simple really- keep the big yap shut.

Stick to safe subjects, like women.

16 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

You should have moved to Jeddah ... plenty of parties there!

Yes, I was there on a couple of visits. Unfortunately, I was unable to get a job there so went to Riyadh. After 4 years I hated the entire country so much, I wouldn't have tried to go there anyway.

Could have been worse. One of the girls in my company group went to a hospital up near the Iraq border. That really was death by boredom.

BTW, even there some *(*^(^* Saudi tried to get me and a female in the poo for walking around together. Luckily we had a permit from the police so nothing happened. Saudi was an amazing country, but unfortunately it had Saudis in it. Had they all been Beduin it would have been fantastic. I met a few in hospital and they were the nicest people I ever knew.

My love affair with LOS started when I was in Saudi as it was the closest place that I could have some fun. Only 6 hours from Riyadh on Saudia.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

during the last 15 months the mutawwas have been nearly dismantled. courtesy of Mohamed bin-Salman. not a single one visible in Jeddah last december. don't know about Riyadh though.

The Saudi authorities have moved to curb the powers of the notorious religious police, or "mutawa".

Members of the Committee for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice will no longer be permitted to chase suspects or arrest them.

They must instead report observations to security forces personnel.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36034807

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Saudi was an amazing country, but unfortunately it had Saudis in it. Had they all been Beduin it would have been fantastic. I met a few in hospital and they were the nicest people I ever knew.

:thumbsup::clap2::thumbsup:

Should this topic be re-named 'why do you think Saudi Arabia is special'?

For me, I promised wifey I would take her back home to live before she hit 55. Events in the UK allowed me to retire early and keep my promise.

I'd been coming here on and off for 9 years and loved the place and people. Not the BKK or Pattaya scene, rather the countryside.

Each country has it's benefits as well as downsides but here in the LOS I feel more free of interference, be it government, police (yep, really, I had a few visits from the boys in blue back in the UK, mostly about my dogs getting out onto the road), work colleagues, employees, et al.

The freedoms enjoyed here will slowly be eroded I'm sure, as Thailand becomes more westernized.

For me though, as others have said before, it really is the people.

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

????? Did a couple of posts get deleted?

The women are what makes Thailand special for me. The only really good looking women back home seem to be the Asians.

Also the live as you want as long as you don't stuff up culture.

And, the lack of PC.

Yea we went on a tangent concerning someones avatar,   nothing serious, just curiosity, explanations and responses to explanations, Mostly poor attempts at humor on my part.

Sure Asian women  are very attractive , but then again many of as would have a predisposition  to being attracted to Asian women by virtue of the   fact that we are here. 

IMO , there are many intangibles whose combination makes Thailand special .

and more so special to as because of our predispositions.

As much as we all like to argue with each other in this and other forums it is inescapable that most of as share a set of basic personality traits that have lead as here. In a sense, "Birds of a feather",

Many countries have Asian women,  have inexpensive living,  have more freedoms,  are fun loving, etc etc , But non IMO , in such an exquisite combined proportions that, at least to me, makes Thailand so unique.

Complain as much as we would, for this, that, and the other,

lets pray it never changes.

and when one aspect changes , as it will inevitable will, an other variable will offset it maintaining it's "Thaines" which we all love to hate ,  hate to love,

but mostly Love.. 

3 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

I think Thailand is special because it's the only country in the world that is getting overrun by those ladyboy freaks. Everywhere you turn there's one, you just can't escape.

Thats funny do you live with one? I dont see them until i go into town

6 minutes ago, kannot said:

My Wife works here

So does mine but if i disliked Thailand and everything in it as you do I would be packing our bags heading out. Nothing is worse than being somewhere you activly dislike to your extent. Of course other opinions are available.

Edited by jeab1980

13 minutes ago, kannot said:

My Wife works here

Come on kannot, you must have some comment to make on what you like about Thailand. I would really like to hear something positive from you. :jap:

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My opinion has always been that a BSM is the right size.

If anyone doesn't know what that is, I'm not spelling it out on here.

Back home one never bothers to check out the butt, but here the butt can be as attractive as the front.

Please help me out. Dr. Google can only come up with the Bangkok School of Management, which could be an oxymoron.

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

Yea we went on a tangent concerning someones avatar,   nothing serious, just curiosity, explanations and responses to explanations, Mostly poor attempts at humor on my part.

Sure Asian women  are very attractive , but then again many of as would have a predisposition  to being attracted to Asian women by virtue of the   fact that we are here. 

IMO , there are many intangibles whose combination makes Thailand special .

and more so special to as because of our predispositions.

As much as we all like to argue with each other in this and other forums it is inescapable that most of as share a set of basic personality traits that have lead as here. In a sense, "Birds of a feather",

Many countries have Asian women,  have inexpensive living,  have more freedoms,  are fun loving, etc etc , But non IMO , in such an exquisite combined proportions that, at least to me, makes Thailand so unique.

Complain as much as we would, for this, that, and the other,

lets pray it never changes.

and when one aspect changes , as it will inevitable will, an other variable will offset it maintaining it's "Thaines" which we all love to hate ,  hate to love,

but mostly Love.. 

Yes other countries have Asian women, but the ones that live there, while beautiful are contaminated by western PC and I wouldn't want to marry any of them, just like I'd never have married a caucasian woman.