Train from Bangkok to CM

THAIPHUKET

My own train experience is very limited. Years ago, Bangkok to Buriram, First class. Rather disappointing because we could hardly see anything . t

The windows had been overpainted for additional sun protection.

How would you go(next week)

Bkk~CM? First or second?

Pre~ booking, how?

Have not done that run in about a decade but that route has DRC Special Express daytime with cars designed for viewing so would use them (have in the past).

Depart 0830 Arrive 1930 Special Express train number 7
)

Sp. Express DRC SeatsSpecial Express DRC - Sprinter Train

I haven't done the day train in 3 or 4 years, but the food offering was very limited.  Just a little box lunch.  Not nearly as good as the food available on the overnight train.  But, the day train is nice for sight seeing.  Just bring extra food and drink (no beer allowed any more)

I have used the old Japanese Train for the overnight to CM from BKK, I used the 1st class single occupant, I can not remember the price.  It was adequate.

They have got some new trains now from China, they don't look too bad,  might be giving them a go next month

<removed link to Bangkok Post>

Edited by ubonjoe
Links to Bangkok Post are not allowed by the forum rules

I'll be taking the sleeper in a few days. I'll report on it.

I like the sleeper because-

It still epitomises the romance of travel

it saves the cost of an hotel for the night

I always sleep well on them

I love seeing the countryside after I wake up in the morning

Can eat and drink in comfort, unlike on the bus

has larger toilets than the bus

plenty of room unlike bus or plane

Can meet other people to chat with

Keep my bag beside me ( NOT on the day train. Almost nowhere for a large bag ).

If I am desperate, can eat in the restaurant car.

Never on time, so I don't arrive at the crack of dawn and have to wait 6 hours for an hotel room.

Now that the track is new, the ride is very comfortable.

On 27/05/2017 at 8:32 PM, NancyL said:

I haven't done the day train in 3 or 4 years, but the food offering was very limited.  Just a little box lunch.  Not nearly as good as the food available on the overnight train.  But, the day train is nice for sight seeing.  Just bring extra food and drink (no beer allowed any more)

YES!  Take some food!!   Take a lunch box of food which will keep for a few hours.  Food is served on the train, but is basic, and to my western tongue, less than appetising.

1 hour ago, masuk said:

YES!  Take some food!!   Take a lunch box of food which will keep for a few hours.  Food is served on the train, but is basic, and to my western tongue, less than appetising.

Actually on normal trains you often have time at stations to buy fresh food from venders - this was about DRC which only food on car is a set free box lunch and there not much chance to buy as few stops and very short.

Edit:  I should add have not traveled since food venders became an endangered species so not sure still valid.  

Edited by lopburi3

17 minutes ago, Lucky mike said:

Have traveled cm to bkk 2nd class sleeper, enjoyed trip I thought food ok, sometimes it is better to travel in expectation than to arrive !

Food quality on regular/express trains will vary by contractor being used but normally not too bad.  DRC food is not the same.

Took the night train on Songkran period to CM.

By luck it was the one with new introduced cars, roughly 6 months old.

Absolutely fantastic I can say.

As I can remember the train number is always #10 on either way. For more information you can look at seat61.com or contact Thai railways.

Their hotline usually has good English speaking staff.

You arrive for sunrise around Lamphang so you'll have nice views at the morning.

The pictures are 2nd class. I always use it. Sometimes 3rd class but that's kind of an emergency situation. New trains also finally have chargers at each seat/bed IMG_20170529_35894.jpg.c082bdfd090200fa4743d2b2b1a33c76.jpgIMG_20170529_22439.jpg.a89234747ebf50ef8152d4902f191aba.jpgIMG_20170529_55318.jpg.917ce99462722b686f511df98c87d17d.jpgIMG_20170529_3190.jpg.1b27c78d142688cf19ef158c25fc80a1.jpg

You can book online; I would take the first class cabin and bring your squeeze, but have her get some decent food and a bottle of your favorite spirits. You can buy mixers except soda on the train and get a bucket of ice, especially if taking the overnight train.  

If you wish to see anything, take a day train.

I've done night train, both 2nd class sleeper – which is all right for the price, but not that comfortable – and 1st class that is a 2-person compartment and an experience compatible to old-time European sleepers; however doing 1st class sleeper you should seriously think of the air-alternative, which is faster and might be similar priced (if not cheaper)...:smile:

When I used trains 1st class was not my choice of sleeper - no sleep as you were across the tracks so every breaking (and there are a lot) you rolled.  2nd class beds were just as comfortable (unless very tall) and you did not have that issue as body as not across tracks.

You can book online; I would take the first class cabin and bring your squeeze, but have her get some decent food and a bottle of your favorite spirits. You can buy mixers except soda on the train and get a bucket of ice, especially if taking the overnight train.  

1. You CAN'T book online directly. Always have to use agency which means you have to pay a fee.
I DON'T recommend you 12go.asia or probably another agency are the same.
They charged me 600 Baht but only shown afterwards in the final bill.
That was almost the price of one ticket.
What you can do is make reservation by phone and pick up the tickets at any train station.

2. Alcohol is STRICTLY not allowed on the train anymore. You risk a fine and being thrown out from the train. Also it doesn't show a good example for foreigners behaviour

25 minutes ago, CLW said:

1. You CAN'T book online directly. Always have to use agency which means you have to pay a fee.
I DON'T recommend you 12go.asia or probably another agency are the same.
They charged me 600 Baht but only shown afterwards in the final bill.
That was almost the price of one ticket.
What you can do is make reservation by phone and pick up the tickets at any train station.

2. Alcohol is STRICTLY not allowed on the train anymore. You risk a fine and being thrown out from the train. Also it doesn't show a good example for foreigners behaviour

Well, that is why I suggested a first-class cabin. And, if you don't get drunk and act a fool you can easily enjoy a cocktail without offending anyone in the privacy of your own cabin.  I just asked my wife, she does the travel arrangements; you are right, apparently you cannot get them online, but she has her travel agent get the tickets for us. 

7 hours ago, CLW said:

Another picture from the new cars
IMG_20170529_53405.jpg

Can I put a big suitcase under the seat? From the other pics the only luggage rack is a rather small one on the ceiling.

The old cars used to have racks beside each seat which were excellent.

Don't like leaving a big bag in the walkway, though the seat looks wide enough to have it on the bed.

Can I put a big suitcase under the seat? From the other pics the only luggage rack is a rather small one on the ceiling.
The old cars used to have racks beside each seat which were excellent.
Don't like leaving a big bag in the walkway, though the seat looks wide enough to have it on the bed.

As long as it fits between the two seats I think you can.

5 minutes ago, CLW said:

As long as it fits between the two seats I think you can.

No, can a bag fit UNDER the seat? My bag would take all the foot space if between them.

The photo seems to indicate there is, but sometimes the space doesn't go all the way to the back of the seat.

I took the 1st class sleeper a few months ago, I think it took 14 hours.  Not the new Chinese cars but still OK, a little too cold from the air con.  Price was 1400 plus I paid an additional 500 for a single berth and brought my own food, cigars, and whisky.  Fun to try out once.

Flew back on Air Asia in 70 minutes for 1000

Edited by camble

No, can a bag fit UNDER the seat? My bag would take all the foot space if between them.
The photo seems to indicate there is, but sometimes the space doesn't go all the way to the back of the seat.

Under the seat is all space until the backside panel, so yes you can put bag or suitcase under the seat