TM 30 Confusion for Tourists

On 2017-5-28 at 5:53 AM, JackThompson said:

As a long-term condo-lease, you are the "housemaster" and are responsible - vs a guesthouse or hotel.

21 hours ago, elviajero said:

They are not the 'house-master'. Only the person named in the blue house registration book as the 'house-master' is the house-master. A foreigner renting a condo could be considered the 'possessor' of the property, in which case, they would be equally responsible with the owner of the property, to make the TM.30 report.

The English translation of Section 4 of the Immigration Act defines "house-master" as follows:

“ House Master ” means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of

owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever , in accordance with the law on people act.

Based on the above definition, whoever is the "chief possessor" of the condo is its house-master.

The immigration Act does not define "possessor", "owner" and "tenant"

When the owner rents his condo to another person, whom I shall call the tenant, the owner grants the tenant possession of the condo. In the words of section 4, the tenant is the "chief possessor in the capacity of tenant" and therefore the house-master. This means that although the owner remains listed as house-master in his blue house registration book under the law that controls the registration of people in the the house registration books, the tenant is the house-master for all instances where "house-master" is mentioned in the the Immigration Act, which, aside from section 4, happens to be only in section 38.

In other words, for the implementation of the Immigration Act, and only for this Act:

– chief possessor = house-master

– if the owner is the chief possessor, then the owner is the house-master

– if a tenant is the chief possessor, then the tenant is the house-master

– if a person is the chief possessor in any other capacity, then this person is the house-master

Other laws may have different definitions of "house-master", but for the implementation of the Immigration Act only the definition of this Act counts.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 5/27/2017 at 9:54 AM, devaram said:

I was in hotels until a few days ago and now a guest house run by a friend and I dont think they even know about this.

OMG, running a guest house without knowing immigration rules. Is he a Thai or a farang? If farang, I wonder can he even run a guest house. I see lots of Russians in Jomiten areas. In Rompho market, even all food vendors have Russian menus. These are a mix of young and old people. So obviously not all of them are on retirement visa. may be they have elite visa. I see they rent motor cycles, open bars, etc. I wonder how? No wonder there is a crack down on foreigners. But common, arrest people for not reporting TM 30. That is too much. 

It sure is VERY confusing, my wife won't believe that she has to go to the police to report that i live with her....also we do weekendtrips so she has to do it all the time? She has a busy job as manager and no time for it.

The embassy has my details plus email/phone....i fill it on that paper in the plane to thailand so they know where i am and can always call/email me.

I think that's enough.

3 minutes ago, Thian said:

It sure is VERY confusing, my wife won't believe that she has to go to the police to report that i live with her....also we do weekendtrips so she has to do it all the time? She has a busy job as manager and no time for it.

The embassy has my details plus email/phone....i fill it on that paper in the plane to thailand so they know where i am and can always call/email me.

I think that's enough.

Immigration does NOT think that's enough

6 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

Immigration does NOT think that's enough

the Police does not think that's enough...the embassy granted me the visa so they were fine with it..and also on Suvarnabhumi immigration they accepted my form and let me in.

The police where i live likes to sleep a lot, that's why they installed the bells...so i take my chances....

Edited by Thian

2 minutes ago, Thian said:

the Police does not think that's enough...the embassy granted me the visa so they were fine with it..and also on Suvarnabhumi immigration they accepted my form and let me in.

The police where i live likes to sleep a lot, that's why they installed the bells...so i take my chances....

The embassy is the bailiwick of the ministry of foreign affairs and has no say in the ministry of immigration policies

5 minutes ago, Thian said:

I think that's enough.

Your home countries embassy has nothing to do with immigration. The TM6 on arrival is where you intend to stay, TM30 is the hotel/property confirming you stay there, 90 day reports is confirming you are still there.

TM6 doesnt mean much as everyone can just put Hilton hotel and disappear to anywhere in thailand.

6 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Your home countries embassy has nothing to do with immigration. The TM6 on arrival is where you intend to stay, TM30 is the hotel/property confirming you stay there, 90 day reports is confirming you are still there.

TM6 doesnt mean much as everyone can just put Hilton hotel and disappear to anywhere in thailand.

tm-6 tm-30 tm-28  mate i have no idea what that all means....i know that i have a multiple visa to stay with my wife cause i'm married....they all know her, her phone, address, email, they even called her to check me out....i think i do fine and if not they know where to find me...

17 minutes ago, Thian said:

tm-6 tm-30 tm-28  mate i have no idea what that all means....i know that i have a multiple visa to stay with my wife cause i'm married....they all know her, her phone, address, email, they even called her to check me out....i think i do fine and if not they know where to find me...

The only time it may (depending on your immigration office) become a problem is if you need to do any "Business" with them e.g. Extension, 90 day reporting, resident certificates etc... None of these seems relevant to your particular circumstances but that doesn't mean that there isn't (technically) a requirement to do so.

I'm on a Non-O ME but fly in & out every 1-3 weeks so don't bother filing them either, but technically I'm supposed to (or I'm at least supposed to let my condo office know I'm back so they can file it) each time I come back.

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thian said:

At some point, if you have any ongoing business with immigration, they will want to see a TM30 report/receipt. If you dont have one there will be fines etc. At the moment you appear to be coming and going on a 90 day O visa so you probably dont have ongoing business with local immigration office (extension, Resident Cert, 90 day reports etc). 

If at some point you present to local immigration for a yearly marriage extension, a resident certificate to get a license etc, the first thing they will ask for is a TM30, and wont accept "they know where I live, know my wife" etc.

Any advice is to save you some grief down the track, when at some point you will be required to have /show a TM30 report.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Thian said:

they do't need to know where to find you. Someday you will have need of a service at their office and they won't have to go looking to fine you

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

The only time it may (depending on your immigration office) become a problem is if you need to do any "Business" with them e.g. Extension, 90 day reporting, resident certificates etc... None of these seems relevant to your particular circumstances but that doesn't mean that there isn't (technically) a requirement to do so.

I'm on a Non-O ME but fly in & out every 1-3 weeks so don't bother filing them either, but technically I'm supposed to (or I'm at least supposed to let my condo office know I'm back so they can file it) each time I come back.

I never go to immigration cause they even can't spea inlit there....and my wife has a busy important job to do every day, she doesn't have many holidays so we don't want to waste them on stupid paperwork

But what i don't understand is how the immigration knows that we didn't do a report at the policestation here...i thought those 2 didn't work together?? And if they do work together then why do i have to report all the time because they know everything already since decades....every year it's the same forms i have to fill in at the embassy and in the plane...it's getting boring and a waste of time.

4 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

they do't need to know where to find you. Someday you will have need of a service at their office and they won't have to go looking to fine you

fine with me, i leave the country ever 3 months and avoid all thai authorities...i do everything legal afaik...

55 minutes ago, Thian said:

fine with me, i leave the country ever 3 months and avoid all thai authorities...i do everything legal afaik...

Lol! I always think it kinda cute to see the farangs deliberately ignoring some of these petty rules in an attempt to feel they are getting back at mindless bureaucracy! asserting their independence! it's much like watching the homeless addicts in slum areas of a big city deliberately jaywalking in a pathetic attempt to stick it to straight society!!