DSI seizes 160 supercars in a week

rooster59

1 minute ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

They can't get the paperwork unless through Customs, thus they cannot be sold on. So Customs are 100% involved here as the cars were seized from dealers that had paperwork from Customs! They were on the showroom floor, being sold as 'legitimate' assets. Hence the statement that taxes have been underpaid!

They don't come in by air anyway, they are shipped in through the ports and remain in limbo at the ports until paperwork can be arranged as I have already explained. As I said there are thousands of these cars at Laem Chabang port at this very moment.

Ok if you say so, I know of 2 vehicles brought into the country in the manner ive mentioned, there is the chance that the person in the UK that was prepping the vehicle for flight and bolting the Thai number plates on was telling me porky pies though, he did seem to be knowledgeable about the process though.

4 hours ago, 8OA8 said:

The auctions are genuine, however "allegedly" on many occasions the brain has been removed from the car prior to the seizure and the car won't ever run unless you know what has been removed, hence the person in possession of the necessary component's (brain/computer..) can purchase the car in the knowledge that they will have a clean (duty paid) car for a fraction of the real cost of same vehicle in Thailand "allegedly".

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Indeed this modus operandi has been going on for years. Your buddies steal a brand new car - drive it to an isolated area. Remove most of the engine parts, seats, trim etc and then push the car into a ditch. Not too much damage done but enough for the entire to be a non viable repair. Then when the auction comes up s few months later buy the shell for a pittance and replace everything. Simlar scams I saw as a student carried out in main dealerships were shocking also. 

Edited by Nip
Spelling

4 minutes ago, Nip said:

Indeed this modus operandi has been going on for years. Your buddies steal a brand new car - drive it to an isolated area. Remove most of the engine parts, seats, trim etc and then push the car into a ditch. Not too much damage done but enough for the entire to be a non viable repair. Then when the auction comes up s few months later buy the shell for a pittance and replace everything. Simlar scams I saw as a student carried out in main dealerships were shocking also. 

And yet people in another thread claim the insurance company will repair a burnt out car rather than scrap it and pay it out.

Go figure !!

8 hours ago, trogers said:

These are not cars bought by the ordinary people using loans of 7 years, but bought with cash.

People with so much cash should already be discerning enough to smell a bad fish when prices are too cheap. But greed got the upper hand.

Well as they are in showrooms and havent actually been purchased yet your comment doesnt make much sense.

It's always puzzled me in a country with a govt run by the elite, for the elite, that someone put such an exorbitant duty on luxury items. It's not like Thailand produces luxury vehicles that need to be protected.

Sure the graft and corruption this duty inspires means a lot of cash under tables etc, but ultimately, aren't you ripping off your table-mates at the HiSo karaoke bars and gentlemen' clubs?

Try this as a farang trying to bring your 10 year old low mileage Toyota Rav in as a cheap runabout and you will find that THEY set the import value for duty purposes, independent of whatever invoices or valuations you present.  I suspect if you are Thai and well connected or have orther inducements, the proceedure may be different.   (Well from last week and for the next fortnight or so, anyway.)

36 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Try this as a farang trying to bring your 10 year old low mileage Toyota Rav in as a cheap runabout and you will find that THEY set the import value for duty purposes, independent of whatever invoices or valuations you present.  I suspect if you are Thai and well connected or have orther inducements, the proceedure may be different.   (Well from last week and for the next fortnight or so, anyway.)

It will soon pass. 

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Naval officer charged with being complicit in this stuff. Released on a paltry 10,000thb bail. 

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/navy-man-admits-involvement-car-laundering/

10,000 is just bail to make sure he shows up at trial.  Very reasonable if the guy isn't a flight risk (or if you want to bump him off somewhere besides the jail to keep him from testifying)  

Could go either way...

8 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

160, my goodness..., what are the HiSo going to use now to kill people? :whistling:

Ohhh...I don't think that's likely to be much of a problem.

I seriously doubt, the seized cars are going to be returned to the UK or legitimately auctioned to the general public.

More likely, they'll find their way into the garages or estates of a variety of people who like to wear fancy uniforms and/or to the adult children and wives/mia nois/giks of same.

Plenty of future opportunities for road kill still to be had. :smile:

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Naval officer charged with being complicit in this stuff. Released on a paltry 10,000thb bail. 

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/navy-man-admits-involvement-car-laundering/

Ohh... come on...  Don't leave people with the false impression that it's only the armed forces guys who get to have their fun. Be fair and even-handed in giving credit where credit is due:

Informed police source said that 3-4 police officers might be involved with the gang in falsifying documents concerning with luxurious cars whose import prices were alleged to be overly under-declared.

30 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Don't ask difficult questions, unless you fancy some attitude adjustment. 

160+ luxury cars illegally here, huh?

Wonder how all those managed to get past the eagle-eyed, honest-to-a-fault public servants who staff the Customs Department? :ph34r:

23 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

160+ luxury cars illegally here, huh?

Wonder how all those managed to get past the eagle-eyed, honest-to-a-fault public servants who staff the Customs Department? :ph34r:

I wonder as well, it's absolutely amazing, isn't it?  

You seem to forgot one detail: Most of those supercars were bought in good faith by their owners.

How would you feel if you went to your local car dealership, look at the showroom, and buy a car full-price in good faith, and then we come to your place and seize your car without compensation?

You seem to forgot one detail: Most of those supercars were bought in good faith by their owners.

How would you feel if you went to your local car dealership, look at the showroom, and buy a car full-price in good faith, and then we come to your place and seize your car without compensation?

I would feel terrible, but my feeling terrible is not going to make a difference to the charges that will be brought about by the Thai Customs Department.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Deli said:

Looks like many new inactive posts will be taken soon

I hear on good authority that the first Chinese sub is to be moored at the Satahip inactive berth to accommodate naval officers who are about to go on the inactive list.  Probably be the worlds first sub, to be crewed  by officers only.