Unidentified foreigner dies from condominium fall in Pattaya in an apparent suicide

webfact

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎30 at 11:09 AM, saakura said:

Please don't jump from a high building, must be a terrible mess to clean up or you may land on someone else who is walking by.

Yes - that's what I meant about not harming others... includes not inducing emotional trauma in people 

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎29 at 6:32 PM, Redline said:

See you on the other side.  You won't see me jumping though :burp:

I'm not convinced we'll be seeing anyone :smile: ... and yeah, I don't see myself as a 'jumper' either... 

2 minutes ago, Docno said:

I'm not convinced we'll be seeing anyone :smile: ... and yeah, I don't see myself as a 'jumper' either... 

I have serious doubts I'll see anything after the big day.  Jumping just seems like a bad way.  Be creative, do it clean and do it happy!  Somebdy has to clean that up

8 hours ago, Docno said:

Yes - that's what I meant about not harming others... includes not inducing emotional trauma in people 

Thank you for being so considerate, may you have a long & healthy life and die peacefully in you sleep

On 5/29/2017 at 9:08 AM, Docno said:

The baseline for suicide among the elderly in western countries is already quite high, though individual suicides are rarely reported in the media. In some countries, the elderly are even at greater risk of suicide than adolescents. Then you add that to the fact that many expats come to Thailand (and other retirement 'havens') with minimal real social support, and you have a bigger problem.

That said, I fully intend to 'turn the lights out' myself when I reach an age where life is no longer rewarding. I don't think there's anything wrong with that so long as you do it in a way that doesn't harm others...   

So have a good look at the ground before you jump to make sure you're not going to hit anyone?

On 5/30/2017 at 7:25 PM, simoh1490 said:

Here's some perspective:

Resident expat Brits in Thailand = circa 50,000

UK visitors to Thailand per year = circa 900,000

UK deaths in Thailand per year = about 390

Death rate = 0.041%

UK population = circa 70mill.

UK deaths per year, roughly 525,000

UK death rate in the UK = 0.079% (double the rate of Brit deaths in Thailand.

Conclusion: Brits in Thailand halve their risk of death by living here, over and above living in the UK.

Next!

WOW, simoh, I believe your conclusion could use a little work. First according to your numbers the UK death rate would be 0.75% not 0.079%

Next, this number reflects death per resident.

To do a similar comparison in Thailand you'd have 390 deaths per 50,000 residents = 0.78%

These numbers tell a different story!  They give a higher UK death rate in Thailand than in the UK. Given the average age of expats, however, I actually don't think the death rate in Thailand is all that bad. 

The statistics that would really interest me is the rate of traffic fatalities. Now, I have no hard evidence, but believe Thailand would do poorly in such a comparison.

Again this is just a "gut feel".

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎04 at 2:27 AM, tropo said:

So have a good look at the ground before you jump to make sure you're not going to hit anyone?

Like I said elsewhere - I'm not a jumper. Use your imagination.... there are less messy ways to exit

On 5/31/2017 at 6:52 AM, JHolmesJr said:

Its time thailand allowed some sort of suicide pill to be administered strictly under medical supervision …this jumping creates such trauma for the cleaners and assorted children who may pass by.

Although made in jest, it touches on a sore point for many. Palliative care is awful. End of life pain control is terrible. It is absolutely ridiculous that patients in terminal stage cancer  are given inadequate doses of narcotics. One must fight to receive the drugs, and only then if approaching an enlightened physician. It's not as if someone with  a few months to live need worry about  addiction.  One need only look at the suffering  companion animals endure in Thailand  because too many veterinarians refuse to euthanize an animal. 

13 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Just for the record:

• I don't live in Pattaya
  • I am over 70 in October 2017
  • Having made it this far already, I have no intention of committing  suicide any time soon.

Just talk to someone if you want. It's always best to talk to your friends.

Sad to hear rip to the guy i have to say surely its "better/nicer" and probably easier to down 50 tramadol tablets available otc with as much whisky as possible  ?

15 hours ago, Docno said:

Like I said elsewhere - I'm not a jumper. Use your imagination.... there are less messy ways to exit

I gathered that because you're still posting. 

I'd say most jumpers don't care about the mess they leave behind, but perhaps they are considerate enough to watch out for people walking below.