Bangkokians told not to dump garbage into klongs

webfact

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

When I was young, my parents taught me how disrespectful it was to litter. It gave me my first sense of responsibility, for keeping my environment neat and clean. Later, I developed a great deal of respect for nature. The thought of dumping or throwing anything into a river, or a lake, or a beach, or an ocean is inconceivable, at this stage. It starts with education. If the mindlessly numb, and backwards leaders considered this to be of any importance, they would institute programs to create awareness. It will happen eventually. No nation can go on like this, showing such tremendous disregard for it's environment, resources, and nature, forever. It will eventually change. Thailand is extremely resistant to progress and change. Sometimes, it feels like one of the least progressive nations on earth. But, there is a small percentage of the youth who are rising up, and defying convention, and doing something about this. There is a small environmental movement here. Hopefully, their voices will eventually be heard.

In the US, back in the 50's and 60's, littering was a big problem. They devised a litterbug campaign, essentially shaming people into not throwing trash everywhere. Now, the fines are $1,000. Something like that might work very good here. Especially if there were heavy fines imposed.

I remember Ladybird Johnson starting an anti-litter campaign, the fines started at that time are still being collected today. To this day I hate litter. The inside of my car back home reflected this. So much junk in the back seat area. 

Edited by Grumpy Duck
Oopsie

Or what?  They won't stop because they don't care.  Nothing will happen, nothing will change.  Millions and millions of baht will be lost to water damage, loss of work, loss of productivity, closed businesses...

Sad but true :coffee1:

When I am walking around with my Thai friends we walk across one of the trash dump canals. They understand I have an almost non-existant sense of smell but see my face wince from the stench of the canals, I can see the look of shame on their face. Not common perhaps, but hopefully contagious. 

Stop dumping garbage EVERYWHERE not just into the klongs and not just in Bangkok.

The problem with garbage everywhere will not be solved until the foreign media starts writing about it then the fear of losing face will kick in as always.

Think about all the plastic that ends up in the ocean just because people are so lazy that they can't be bothered with disposing of their garbage in the proper way. Total and utter disrespect against the environment and the rest of the world.

Edited by just.a.thought

Bangkokians told not to dump .......

The City Hall has appealed ......

As consistently happens on TV News, the headline disagrees with the content. There is a difference in being told (ordered) to do something and being appealed to do something. 

Traffic Office appeals to motorists not to disobey traffic laws. Do they?

One problem is the scarcity of trash cans. When I finish eating something, and I walk 1 km with my trash in hand and still haven't found a place to dispose of it, the street becomes very appealing. Install trash cans, enforce the law, easy like that. But TiT.

The foreign media should write about it. Usually, when foreign media publishes articles about Bangkok causing them to lose face, they act quickly.

Edited by SiamBeast

1 hour ago, SiamBeast said:

One problem is the scarcity of trash cans. When I finish eating something, and I walk 1 km with my trash in hand and still haven't found a place to dispose of it, the street becomes very appealing. Install trash cans, enforce the law, easy like that. But TiT.

The foreign media should write about it. Usually, when foreign media publishes articles about Bangkok causing them to lose face, they act quickly.

If they install trash cans they will have to pay someone to empty them. Have you noticed the shortage (non-existence) of trash cans at many airports? I understand they are convenient locations to place explosive devices. 

It is about the maturity of a society, the education that comes along with that maturity, and the respect for nature, the environment, and one's own nation. Thais profess to love their country so much, as they are throwing trash out the window of their cars, littering the beaches, dumping stuff into the sea, and destroying the environment. All that says to me, is that I have no regard for my nation, or the land. All that says to me is "all talk, and no action". Show me. Don't tell me.

It starts at home. The parents need to begin to train their youth, in healthy and clean habits. Thais seem to be clean people. They like to keep themselves clean, their homes clean, their cars clean. So, why trash the environment? Teachers should be imparting some wisdom to their students about this. 

If only this country had leaders that cared one iota. They make these silly and inane pronouncement, but they do nothing about it. I would call this a constant state of apathy, indifference, incompetence, and total and complete lack of progressive thinking on their part. 

On 2017-5-29 at 0:38 PM, just.a.thought said:

Stop dumping garbage EVERYWHERE not just into the klongs and not just in Bangkok.

The problem with garbage everywhere will not be solved until the foreign media starts writing about it then the fear of losing face will kick in as always.

Think about all the plastic that ends up in the ocean just because people are so lazy that they can't be bothered with disposing of their garbage in the proper way. Total and utter disrespect against the environment and the rest of the world.

Plastic garbage along roads is being burned on the spot...I've seen that often.

On 2017-5-29 at 9:16 AM, spidermike007 said:

When I was young, my parents taught me how disrespectful it was to litter. It gave me my first sense of responsibility, for keeping my environment neat and clean. Later, I developed a great deal of respect for nature. The thought of dumping or throwing anything into a river, or a lake, or a beach, or an ocean is inconceivable, at this stage. It starts with education. If the mindlessly numb, and backwards leaders considered this to be of any importance, they would institute programs to create awareness. It will happen eventually. No nation can go on like this, showing such tremendous disregard for it's environment, resources, and nature, forever. It will eventually change. Thailand is extremely resistant to progress and change. Sometimes, it feels like one of the least progressive nations on earth. But, there is a small percentage of the youth who are rising up, and defying convention, and doing something about this. There is a small environmental movement here. Hopefully, their voices will eventually be heard.

In the US, back in the 50's and 60's, littering was a big problem. They devised a litterbug campaign, essentially shaming people into not throwing trash everywhere. Now, the fines are $1,000. Something like that might work very good here. Especially if there were heavy fines imposed.

Yes I remember the litter after crossing the Bluewater bridge from Ontario to Michigan. I94 to Detroit  was a mess with fast food bags etc. Now days it  is fairy clean. Quite the change from previous years. Glad to see it. People can change with education. And a $1000 fine. 

• 1 month later...

The littler isn't really the problem, and that's just as well because Thais aren't going to stop dropping litter anytime soon.

The problem is the waste water that flows into them from all the shacks that line the klongs and all the sewers that drain into them.  Human waste and washing powder and cooking oil...  These klongs could be full of fish, the locals could fish in them.  But instead they're dead to all life except water monitors.