Ruamchok Supermarket Grand Opening

Trujillo

..and what a disappointment it was. 

You’d have thought that with Rimping on one side, the fresh market on the other and across the street a Tesco, that they’d be wanting to stock items that were not available from their competitors,

but no – just the same old stuff you can buy anywhere. And at prices that do not seem to set them apart either. 

The detached food court is small, dark and seems to be trying to cater to the farang. A pizza kiosk (240 baht a pop for salami), hamburger and sandwich (160-180 baht, I think) (not yet open), spaghetti, pad thai, somtam, and some other Thai foods. 

A shame too, since I had had high hopes for the new kid on the block, but from what I can see, it’s a lead zeppelin. 

• Like 2

Yes,a friend visited there today and advised us not to bother,nothing there,

and very expensive,Potatoes 100 THB Kg!.I thought at first it was going to

be a Tops Supermarket,they must have pulled out,so the market opened

themselves,I think with no experience in running a Supermarket.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

Geez 100 baht for spuds!  Even Makro has em at 37 baht per kilo.  Who are they trying to fool?

And while on the subject of pricing....

Makro a week ago had 500ml shampoo for 125 baht.  Then they had a big display with the same shampoo, one would think it would be on special....wrong!

It went up to 169 baht for the week.  Then the main display was taken down and the shelf price dropped to 129 baht.

Marketing huh? They can fool some if the people some of the time....

• Like 1

I was not impressed either .It all looked rather shabby inside .Reminded of the DDR (East Germany years ago ) .Will be trying out the Food court on my next visit to Rumchok .

• Like 1

15 hours ago, anto said:

I was not impressed either .It all looked rather shabby inside .Reminded of the DDR (East Germany years ago ) .Will be trying out the Food court on my next visit to Rumchok .

It does have somewhat of a pre-1995 Eastern European vibe to it. Was not impressed either. Veggies are all supposedly organic, but at a premium price - far, far more than Doi Kham. Other than that, the usual snacks, Thai milk products, etc. Only bread I saw was 2 loaves of Farmhouse. They did have imported beer - American Budweiser, 55 Baht per small bottle. I kid you not. Who would drink that???

26 minutes ago, elektrified said:

It does have somewhat of a pre-1995 Eastern European vibe to it. Was not impressed either. Veggies are all supposedly organic, but at a premium price - far, far more than Doi Kham. Other than that, the usual snacks, Thai milk products, etc. Only bread I saw was 2 loaves of Farmhouse. They did have imported beer - American Budweiser, 55 Baht per small bottle. I kid you not. Who would drink that???

Fizzy, cold, pish water...

20 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

Geez 100 baht for spuds!  Even Makro has em at 37 baht per kilo.  Who are they trying to fool?

Makro a week ago had 500ml shampoo for 125 baht.  Then they had a big display with the same shampoo, one would think it would be on special....wrong!

It went up to 169 baht for the week.  Then the main display was taken down and the shelf price dropped to 129 baht.

you noticed this?

jeez, I thought the 5 minutes i spend every day washing my bum was wasted.

Edited by Loaded
i don't even want start - uhhh...
  • Like 1

I tried the new Food Court next door yesterday .First off the food i ordered was good and i got a large portion on my plate for B50 .

Probably just starting up negatives ,but there was hardly any signage ,just the menu on a printed A4 paper   ,in tiny printing .( will bring my magnifying glass next time ) .Loads of empty wasted space on the front side of the building . 

40 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Just went in, for the first (and last) time, it's beyond a joke  ...  Rimping must be laughing their heads off !

Rimping is good ,but if you have just been to Tops/Central Food shop at Central Festival ,then go there the contrast is amazing .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gave it another try today .Found an English breakfast tea from Ceylon called Heladiv at B179 for 100 tea bags .Seems ok as i do not like that weak yellow label Lipton brand .They also had cans of extra strength Bavaria beer ( 10.5 % ) at B91 for 500 ml. Not for me but somebody may be interested .

On 5/29/2017 at 10:36 PM, CMKiwi said:

I once saw an item at another supermarket, one for 44 and "promotion" price if you buy two: 93

I guess they were "promoting" math 

T

• Haha 2

On 5/30/2017 at 7:08 PM, Loaded said:

you noticed this?

jeez, I thought the 5 minutes i spend every day washing my bum was wasted.

You wash you bum?? I never wash my bum; it's the not washing and raggedyness that makes him a bum. I don't know how some people manage without a bum outside their house. I need one; how else am I to feel superior?

T

There's a Swiss restaurant and bakery past Doi Saket called Rössli. They had a counter in the food court last week I was there. They sell great bread. I used to drive all the way to the restaurant to buy bread. Hope this counter is permanent so I won't have to drive far for good bread.

The supermarket is a waste of time and the food court is just so-so.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went there last weekend, the place reminds me of what an eastern european supermarket might have looked like in the 80's - generic signage, poorly placed products,  empty shelves everywhere,  staff listlessly standing around doing nothing (although that is fairly common anywhere in Thailand). So I found a total of two things on my shopping list. Wanted to buy beer, couldn't find it, so I asked and was pointed to a small fridge at the front of the store, single bottles only, no cases or 6 packs in sight. I gave my two items to the staff and walked out, never to be seen again.

13 hours ago, clokwise said:

Went there last weekend, the place reminds me of what an eastern european supermarket might have looked like in the 80's - generic signage, poorly placed products,  empty shelves everywhere,  staff listlessly standing around doing nothing (although that is fairly common anywhere in Thailand). So I found a total of two things on my shopping list. Wanted to buy beer, couldn't find it, so I asked and was pointed to a small fridge at the front of the store, single bottles only, no cases or 6 packs in sight. I gave my two items to the staff and walked out, never to be seen again.

Reminded me of an Eastern European supermarket about 25 years ago.

• Like 1

Rimping is good ,but if you have just been to Tops/Central Food shop at Central Festival ,then go there the contrast is amazing .

Tops Central Festival has the best buffet. Thai on one side and excellent ( yes excellent ) reasonable priced western on the other. Make your purchase and take it to a table in the food fair.

And believe it or not Tops Old Central has the best sushi I've found in Chiang Mai.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 1 month later...

This new Ruamchok Supermarket has some bargains ,so i am now a regular visitor .The have nice tomatoes on the vine for B55 a kilo .Clean washed large potatoes for B34 a kilo ,English breakfast style tea for B179 a 100 T.bag .

They are building a new Coffee bar inside ,and a lot of the empty space before is now a eating area .

35 minutes ago, anto said:

This new Ruamchok Supermarket has some bargains ,so i am now a regular visitor .The have nice tomatoes on the vine for B55 a kilo .Clean washed large potatoes for B34 a kilo ,English breakfast style tea for B179 a 100 T.bag .

They are building a new Coffee bar inside ,and a lot of the empty space before is now a eating area .

Had breakfast last weekend at the restaurant inside the supermarket. Good omelette, great coffee. Meat was so-so, but I'm not a big meat eater anyway, so next time I'll ask them to replace the meat with more of the salad they include which was nice.

The product choices are getting better.

T