Why everything is closing early and Bangkok nightlife may never be the same

webfact

On ‎07‎.‎06‎.‎2017 at 3:27 PM, wildewillie89 said:

I was under the impression the military government had cracked down on these 'zero dollar' tourists last year? With a change of focus to 'rich' Chinese. Isn't that what I said? Rich Chinese, Japanese etc. Did you just make a ludicrous assumption that I was talking 'zero dollar' tourists? lol. From a graph I saw, the zero dollar Chinese tourists matched Europe spending. 27% vs 28% of total tourism revenue anyway. So I don't know where your figures about Europeans spending big is coming from. However long someone has been in Thai has no meaning to tourism stats lol. But if it makes you feel better by saying it, by all means go ahead :).

From a graph I saw, the zero dollar Chinese tourists matched Europe spending.

That graph is rubbish, IMO. A significant amount of farang spending is in the unrecorded economy of barbeers, small guesthouses and girls/ boys etc. It also includes farangs that live with Thai women spending on household items, family members, vets to fix the buffalo etc. None of that comes up in a "graph".

Not many Chinese on zero baht tours are involved in any of that.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Thai Ron said:

Yes, of course hookers and Johns can be found everywhere in soi 11 and in most of the farang-oriented entertainment venues in the area but Climax was one of those where there were "no holds barred" for want of a better description.

Catching a glimpse - no matter how brief - of a man who could easily be a grandfather trying to force a hand into a young girl's panties on a dancefloor is enough to "annoy" anyone with fundamental respect for another human being, regardless of her profession.

I don't agree with you on the "what you make of it" angle. Shit music, boorish people will severely restrict enjoyment if you're with like-minded friends who like "good" music and good people. My friends and I share musical tastes and decent standards of behavior.

I'm puzzled as to why you went to a club where you were offended. No one was forcing you to stay either.

BTW I've seen more extreme behavior than that in Bkk gogos.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm puzzled as to why you went to a club where you were offended. No one was forcing you to stay either.

BTW I've seen more extreme behavior than that in Bkk gogos.

How would I know I'd be offended unless I went in?

Gogos are conducive to that type of behaviour and most people, knowing that, avoid them because there's a good chance they'll be offended.

5 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

How would I know I'd be offended unless I went in?

Gogos are conducive to that type of behaviour and most people, knowing that, avoid them because there's a good chance they'll be offended.

You made it sound as if it is the sort of thing that goes on all the time, so I assumed you went there enough times to know that.

If you only went in one time and left when you were offended, how do you know that Climax was one of those where there were "no holds barred" for want of a better description?

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

You made it sound as if it is the sort of thing that goes on all the time, so I assumed you went there enough times to know that.

If you only went in one time and left when you were offended, how do you know that Climax was one of those where there were "no holds barred" for want of a better description?

Because on a few occasions, I had friends in town who wanted to party after hours and there was scant else open at 3 or 4am.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

From a graph I saw, the zero dollar Chinese tourists matched Europe spending.

That graph is rubbish, IMO. A significant amount of farang spending is in the unrecorded economy of barbeers, small guesthouses and girls/ boys etc. It also includes farangs that live with Thai women spending on household items, family members, vets to fix the buffalo etc. None of that comes up in a "graph".

Not many Chinese on zero baht tours are involved in any of that.

That graph was from the Ministry of Tourism from memory...the fact of the matter it seems is that the army have shifted their focus onto 'rich' tourists. I think the discussion re farang who live here permanently vs tourists has been had before. The idea was that the numbers of farang here, who spend minimal amounts vs the amount of tourists who come here and spend big amounts. For example, for every one farang who lives here their may be 10 tourists. Those 10 tourists spend more than that one farang, when they leave another 10 come, who spend more again...The graph doesn't need to include that, as it has no economic relevance. I think you were in the other thread from memory. Best not to have the long conversation again 

Are the street bars between Asoke an Nana station still operating at nighttime like before?

I love sitting at those bars. Always met a lot of interesting people form all over the world there...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jacx said:

Are the street bars between Asoke an Nana station still operating at nighttime like before?

I love sitting at those bars. Always met a lot of interesting people form all over the world there...

No, they're not.

Shut down by the authorities for blocking the pavement.

There are one or two that open on the side streets though, but nowhere near the numbers they used to have.

I think it's a positive.

Fantastic they are gone! Nigerians drug dealers took over the corner one on my soi along with their disgusting fat hookers

Bye bye boys [emoji16]

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, bbi1 said:

What a load of utter crap your point C is. In all your "50 years experience" you've come to the conclusion that "any girl in a club after  Midnight- is not a girl that is working in an office or a professional person". So all the hundreds of chicks partying it up at RCA don't have one of these jobs according to you. In my limited couple of years here I've met loads of chicks who party past midnight and have office jobs, professional jobs, are business owners either (physical or online). Some of them even have to work the next day but are fine with sleeping 4 hours before waking up for work. Of course they don't do this every day but once in a long while.

I understood his point and what he was trying to say. I also understand your point and I'd be a liar if I said that I wasn't out some nights into the wee hours when I was in my 20's. However, there comes a point  when  bones starts to creak and crack and  you can't roll out of bed like you used to. I was in a junior position back then with  zero authority and zero power. I also made a fraction of what I do now. (Oh  how it hurts - I finally get to the point where I can be a big shot, but I would much rather be at home in bed.)

The fact of the matter is that the people who are at a place like Royal City late at night midweek are almost always nobodies who occupy low level positions like shop clerks, waiters, rent boys & girls, tourists and useless kids showing off. Sales agents might go if they are entertaining a  moocher client. However, for the most part,  most gainfully employed people  are at home snug in bed. Do you thing the  young physicians who work at the top hospitals  in Bangkok clubbing about? How about the  up and coming CPAs, lawyers , architects, engineers, or bankers? People who run  their own business, whether it is as a tradesman or  entrepreneur are not out at a dance club unless it's to get paid for a job because they will be up at 06:00 and off to work.

In respect to RCA and your hundred of chicks, who do you think you are fooling?  If they are not university students or fluff heads, they are indeed hookers looking for some easy luchre.

No one intelligent is going to  hang around Onyx and damage his/her hearing. The decibel level is at  hearing loss levels. Every responsible adult knows how dangerous the  bars and nightclubs of Bangkok are. Locked exits, blocked  stairwells, no sprinklers or fire protection. 

Many people  learnt from the 2009 Santika tragedy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, geriatrickid said:

I understood his point and what he was trying to say. I also understand your point and I'd be a liar if I said that I wasn't out some nights into the wee hours when I was in my 20's. However, there comes a point  when  bones starts to creak and crack and  you can't roll out of bed like you used to.

For those symptoms I recommend all these daily vitamin supplements: Calcium, Vitamin D, Fish Oil, plus MSM Glucosamine & Chondroitin. These tablets should help get those joints feeling 20years younger in no time.

6 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

The fact of the matter is that the people who are at a place like Royal City late at night midweek are almost always nobodies who occupy low level positions like shop clerks, waiters, rent boys & girls, tourists and useless kids showing off. Sales agents might go if they are entertaining a  moocher client. However, for the most part,  most gainfully employed people  are at home snug in bed. Do you thing the  young physicians who work at the top hospitals  in Bangkok clubbing about? How about the  up and coming CPAs, lawyers , architects, engineers, or bankers? People who run  their own business, whether it is as a tradesman or  entrepreneur are not out at a dance club unless it's to get paid for a job because they will be up at 06:00 and off to work.

That's where you are wrong again. I know a couple of peeps in the medical profession working at hospitals who go once a month to a bar to catch up with friends they haven't seen in a long time and yes they have stayed longer than a 12am deadline (around 1am) and yes they did have to work the next day but didn't have to wake up at 6am, they had a few hours of extra sleep. Same with someone in banking who went out regularly, but it was a Friday/Saturday night so no work the next day.

10 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

In respect to RCA and your hundred of chicks, who do you think you are fooling?  If they are not university students or fluff heads, they are indeed hookers looking for some easy luchre.

No one intelligent is going to  hang around Onyx and damage his/her hearing. The decibel level is at  hearing loss levels. Every responsible adult knows how dangerous the  bars and nightclubs of Bangkok are. Locked exits, blocked  stairwells, no sprinklers or fire protection. 

Many people  learnt from the 2009 Santika tragedy.

Actually, you'd be surprised by the ages of peeps at RCA these days, it's not all uni students anymore. Lots more Thai peeps in their 30's and even I've met some late 30's. That being said, haven't met any hookers there but I'm sure there are some around.

Agree with you that no one with a brain would hang out at Onyx because it's got shithouse "music", if you can call it that.

16 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

It's back to the previous closing hours again now, so I guess this thread is redundant. 

As stated previously this is all normal for Thailand. Someone gets upset or the police need to make a point and start enforcing the rules again for a few weeks or months and then everything is back to normal. 

2 hours ago, Thai Ron said:

Just reading the crap you're writing tells me you're far too old and out of touch to have a clue what you're talking about.

Just stick to bowling and forget passing commentary on activities you can barely remember

Tru dat bro!

• Like 1

you all can go on and on calling those of us in the know old or outdated but it is obvious to those of us who actually have been in Thailand a long time- that most of you know nothing about Thailand or its entertainment scene and certainly not Bangkok and you do not know who the real owners of these places are

The crackdown is not going to end- it is ongoing and it will end up being standard fare. The Government does not want its citizens out all night partying and it certainly does not like the foreign bar scene of Cowboy or Nana Plaza. In addition, there are way too many drugs and unereage patrons going to and working in these bars.  

The old days are gone and they are not coming back. You all can fool yourselves about who you meet in bars and clubs because it doesn't matter.  There will always be after hour places and they will always be found and eventually closed but the free wheeling anything goes days of Bangkok in particular and Thailand in general are going, going, gone. Live with it or not- up to you.

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

you all can go on and on calling those of us in the know old or outdated but it is obvious to those of us who actually have been in Thailand a long time- that most of you know nothing about Thailand or its entertainment scene and certainly not Bangkok and you do not know who the real owners of these places are

The crackdown is not going to end- it is ongoing and it will end up being standard fare. The Government does not want its citizens out all night partying and it certainly does not like the foreign bar scene of Cowboy or Nana Plaza. In addition, there are way too many drugs and unereage patrons going to and working in these bars.  

The old days are gone and they are not coming back. You all can fool yourselves about who you meet in bars and clubs because it doesn't matter.  There will always be after hour places and they will always be found and eventually closed but the free wheeling anything goes days of Bangkok in particular and Thailand in general are going, going, gone. Live with it or not- up to you.

Yawn. Another supporter of the fascist military regime.  Yes, yes, they've brought "order" to out of control Thailand, blahblah.  You would have loved Thailand in the 1950s or 1970s.  Or, for that matter, the People's Republic of China in the 1950s-60s, or East Germany in the 1980s.  I'm being sarcastic, of course...I wonder indeed if you would be in favor of such a repressive regime in your own country?  If you would applaud the detainment (and torture) of political dissidents and university professors, the "clamping down on morality," censure of musicians and other artists?

What a sad and uniformed lot some of you  are.  I suppose if your are young and have your hand down a girl's pants in a club- that doesn't offend you.  I am so sick of the ageism that exists in topics like this and the stereotyping.   Listen up people- this is 50 years experience speaking- and I still go out and about and know every gin joint in Bangkok.

A.    Every bar and club in Bangkok that caters to anyone that is connected; a tourist or expat or anyone that may have money is a target for the ladies of the night.  They don't care if your are 20 or 90- all they carry about is what you have in your wallet.
B.   Any bar or club that is open past midnight is usually protected or owned by a Thai that has influence. Any that are 'owned' by a foreigner are the same as long as that person is paying someone of influence for protection. Most foreigners don't last long in the business because they can't speak Thai and don't know how to maneuver within the 'system'.
C.  Any girl in a club after  Midnight- is not a girl that is working in an office or a professional person- all these people are asleep as they have to go to work the next day.  Your conquests as you seem to imply are mostly hookers or ladies who get money from other than normal sources.
D.  Bars and Clubs in Bangkok open and close constantly- and what is in today- is out tomorrow.  Soi 11 has never been popular in the past and it is popular now due to several bars and clubs opening as well as restaurants. In addition- the Ambassador Hotel (formerly called the Chavalit Hotel) draws tourists as well as locals. I used to go there 40 years ago for dinner and listen to the music late into the night. You could bring your own bottle and pay for  setups and ice. Those were the real fun days- not the crap places you people so seem to go on about. In addition Phetchaburi Road had and still does have some of the better nightclubs that cater to Thais and have Thai singers and comedians. Foreigners are welcome but never go because they don't know where they are and can't speak Thai.
E.  What in the heck does anyone care what someone else is doing when they are in a bar or club.  I have seen people of all ages and stripes do all kind of things in bars and clubs in Thailand.  If you don't like it- go to a temple- just don't go to a bar or club and complain about someone else's behavior- It's none of your business  as long as they are not in your face confronting you.
F.  The military is trying to gentrify Bangkok and in doing so will drive some of the bars underground- these places will be allowed to remain open until the wee hours because of who the actual owner is- they don't need a license or a permit to operate.  If you don't know where they are- you won't be able to find them . It's been the same every time there is a coup and will always be the same until there is a long term administration that lays out rules and regulations.

It is amazing to me- that there are so many people who claim to know all about Bangkok and its night scene yet in reality they do not know much at all.  Bangkok is still a decent place to enjoy some nightlife- but it is nowhere near the fun it used to be.  Try and explore a little and you will find there are many gems out there.

Point C
Do you realise that people also have weekend or days off?
So they can't go out, stay after midnight, get drunk, relax on their free day and go to work the day after?
Very narrow mindset...
  • Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:56 PM, Thaidream said:

What a sad and uniformed lot some of you  are.  I suppose if your are young and have your hand down a girl's pants in a club- that doesn't offend you.  I am so sick of the ageism that exists in topics like this and the stereotyping.   Listen up people- this is 50 years experience speaking- and I still go out and about and know every gin joint in Bangkok.

A.    Every bar and club in Bangkok that caters to anyone that is connected; a tourist or expat or anyone that may have money is a target for the ladies of the night.  They don't care if your are 20 or 90- all they carry about is what you have in your wallet.

B.   Any bar or club that is open past midnight is usually protected or owned by a Thai that has influence. Any that are 'owned' by a foreigner are the same as long as that person is paying someone of influence for protection. Most foreigners don't last long in the business because they can't speak Thai and don't know how to maneuver within the 'system'.

C.  Any girl in a club after  Midnight- is not a girl that is working in an office or a professional person- all these people are asleep as they have to go to work the next day.  Your conquests as you seem to imply are mostly hookers or ladies who get money from other than normal sources.

D.  Bars and Clubs in Bangkok open and close constantly- and what is in today- is out tomorrow.  Soi 11 has never been popular in the past and it is popular now due to several bars and clubs opening as well as restaurants. In addition- the Ambassador Hotel (formerly called the Chavalit Hotel) draws tourists as well as locals. I used to go there 40 years ago for dinner and listen to the music late into the night. You could bring your own bottle and pay for  setups and ice. Those were the real fun days- not the crap places you people so seem to go on about. In addition Phetchaburi Road had and still does have some of the better nightclubs that cater to Thais and have Thai singers and comedians. Foreigners are welcome but never go because they don't know where they are and can't speak Thai.

E.  What in the heck does anyone care what someone else is doing when they are in a bar or club.  I have seen people of all ages and stripes do all kind of things in bars and clubs in Thailand.  If you don't like it- go to a temple- just don't go to a bar or club and complain about someone else's behavior- It's none of your business  as long as they are not in your face confronting you.

F.  The military is trying to gentrify Bangkok and in doing so will drive some of the bars underground- these places will be allowed to remain open until the wee hours because of who the actual owner is- they don't need a license or a permit to operate.  If you don't know where they are- you won't be able to find them . It's been the same every time there is a coup and will always be the same until there is a long term administration that lays out rules and regulations.

It is amazing to me- that there are so many people who claim to know all about Bangkok and its night scene yet in reality they do not know much at all.  Bangkok is still a decent place to enjoy some nightlife- but it is nowhere near the fun it used to be.  Try and explore a little and you will find there are many gems out there.

A. Rubbish - I know several bars/clubs where you'll find near-zero hookers. They don't bother going because "young guy not want pay".

B. Fair enough

C. More crap. My current girlfriend is a graphic designer; I've visited her at work on several occasions so I know. Once a week, she stays out until 1 or 2am at places like Muse or Badmotel in Thonglor and gets to work for 10am - she's no hooker, mate. It's YOU who needs to get out of the sticky-floored dives and into the real world.

D. It's easy to say the party scene was better 40 years ago, isn't it?. I'm sure when you were young, there was an old battleaxe saying things were better in the 1920s. Pipe down and people get on with what they like.

E. You can't dictate what people are offended by.

F. Everyone knows this already - nothing new

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:49 PM, Thai Ron said:

A. Rubbish - I know several bars/clubs where you'll find near-zero hookers. They don't bother going because "young guy not want pay".

B. Fair enough

C. More crap. My current girlfriend is a graphic designer; I've visited her at work on several occasions so I know. Once a week, she stays out until 1 or 2am at places like Muse or Badmotel in Thonglor and gets to work for 10am - she's no hooker, mate. It's YOU who needs to get out of the sticky-floored dives and into the real world.

D. It's easy to say the party scene was better 40 years ago, isn't it?. I'm sure when you were young, there was an old battleaxe saying things were better in the 1920s. Pipe down and people get on with what they like.

E. You can't dictate what people are offended by.

F. Everyone knows this already - nothing new

Nothing in Soi 11 ?  Cheap Charlies.....36 years...... One of the best street bars going...... closed along with loads of other Farang frequented bars.... and we all know why, we're  just waiting for the high velocity crack to level up the field....... As far as i know, as far back as Marco Polo and William Adams ( The first western Samurai) little Thai girlies have been taking their knickers off for every man jack or jane with a buck...... pardon the pun........ but it was fun when they did what they're good at, it's a bit like Germans trying to be all nice and liberal, it doesn't wash....this is why the countries in such a mess at the moment....... Piss and pussy, the best of all time sellers....... I've never seen such a place that Sukhumvit was destroyed so quickly and for what reason ?   pure racism....... nothing else....

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 4:38 PM, SupermarineS6B said:

Nothing in Soi 11 ?  Cheap Charlies.....36 years...... One of the best street bars going...... closed along with loads of other Farang frequented bars.... and we all know why, we're  just waiting for the high velocity crack to level up the field....... As far as i know, as far back as Marco Polo and William Adams ( The first western Samurai) little Thai girlies have been taking their knickers off for every man jack or jane with a buck...... pardon the pun........ but it was fun when they did what they're good at, it's a bit like Germans trying to be all nice and liberal, it doesn't wash....this is why the countries in such a mess at the moment....... Piss and pussy, the best of all time sellers....... I've never seen such a place that Sukhumvit was destroyed so quickly and for what reason ?   pure racism....... nothing else....

er yeah ok whatever, mate