Landlord wants to break my lease and KICK ME OUT

2 hours ago, lungnorm said:

Just find a new place and as soon as you get your deposit back get some mothballs and put some in every cupboard in the house. It is impossible to get rid of the smell. 

Nonsense. What will help it in this Case.....not a clever idea.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Find new You will recover from the upheaval

Thais have no send of gratitude and will get you out by hook or crook - If you have a deposit sit out that time and don't pay for the last month and don't tell the guy where u are going

JGV

1 hour ago, ujayujay said:

Nonsense. What will help it in this Case.....not a clever idea.

Here we go again. You obviously have no clue. I rented a small apartment last year it was brand new nobody had stayed in it before we did. However in the 4 cupboards under the sink and in the kitchen the owner/builder had left a few mothballs. It was impossible to get rid of the stink had the doors open and fans blowing into them for days. No luck. Why do people like you bother to comment on posts with no understanding of the reasons at all. Go back to your Chang pile and shake your man boobs.

Most standard contracts in Thailand include a clause that states in the event of a sale the tenant is required to move out with a month notice. You should check the terms of the lease. The problem is that most legal contracts seems to state that in the event of any dispute thai language takes precidence. The wording in thai if included should be carefully checked.

Here we go again. You obviously have no clue. I rented a small apartment last year it was brand new nobody had stayed in it before we did. However in the 4 cupboards under the sink and in the kitchen the owner/builder had left a few mothballs. It was impossible to get rid of the stink had the doors open and fans blowing into them for days. No luck. Why do people like you bother to comment on posts with no understanding of the reasons at all. Go back to your Chang pile and shake your man boobs.

So what help would it do in this case apart from causing a problem for the new owner? Who has done the op no harm.  So the pervious poster is correct you are clearly talking nonsense.  

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, juice777 said:

So what help would it do in this case apart from causing a problem for the new owner? Who has done the op no harm.  

So the pervious poster is correct you are clearly talking nonsense. Also can you please tell me where one can get moth balls from?

The op has said that his landlord has said he needs to move out immediately he has lived there for 10 years. He needs to pack and look for a new house then move. God knows what else he needs to do if that was me the last thing I would want to do is try to work out where to get moth balls from. I have absolutely no ideal. Can you buy them on ebay or maybe knock door to door looking in your neighbours cupboards. Or is it possible to create the right environment to attract moths and create your own mothballs. What is the time scale on this can it be done immediately?

your talking nonsense

Any decent hardware store will sell them or maybe even Big C. They are oil based made from Napthalene stink like hell and the smell lingers around for ever even after you have thrown them out. I am afraid you are the one talking nonsense.

In case of a house, it will take at least 2 months before you get your deposit back because the owner has to wait for electricity and water bills.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Is that the case for an apparment as well I don't plan to move unless I have to go back to my own country.

good advice above…..but if Im doing a rental agreement one clause that is always included usually at my insistence is that if the property is sold, it is sold with the tenancy.

otherwise, no deal.

but i agree now all you can do is avoid any aggro…..main mission is to get your deposit back.

If you pay the utility bills to the owner of the apartment, they can check the meter right away and deduct from your deposit. In case of a house lease, the bills come from the utility providers.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

I know it is not fair, but try & find a place ASAP. Staying & really bad things happening are just not worth your short life

or your families. Try & get your deposit back,,,, Don't eat tour heart out over it ,, move on

6 months from now go have a drink & you will laugh about it.

Different if it was a business

OP, you do not have Thai wife?

I find partner can always get these things sorted better than farang locking horns with thais.

An you say you lived there many years, so probably very cheap rent, so maybe call it day and be thankful for what you had.

Wont cost much to moove and finding places is easy here.

Im sure Thai landlords have used some very inventive tactics to get rid of unwanted tennants and you dont wanna be on that recievers end especially as a farang when authoroties will always side with Thai.

Legally you can stay until the termination of the lease unless there is a clause contained in the lease that says otherwise. To avoid any problems try to cut a deal with the new owner that is acceptable to you and him/her. Perhaps your final month free and return of your full deposit(s). A friend of mine had the same problem problem and had his lawyer (The Kingdom Law Group) send a registered letter to the new owner. It worked out well for all concerned. Registered letters from an attorney are a great attention getter.  Good Luck! 

8 hours ago, steven100 said:

are you kidding .....    what's say the owner sends a couple of thugs around to help make his mind up  ?   and what is he to do ...  go to the police after two broken legs  ??  

geeeze .....  just move and live to see your next birthday .... :shock1:

Rather ludicrous to make this suggestion (that the landlord and/or owner might send thugs to break legs so the OP ought to flee now!) with zero evidence of any such threats or concerns; on the other hand, you left out another reason the OP should run like hell now (that being the large meteorite that could be heading for his place at this very moment).

OP, just ignore most of the comments and go talk to your landlord.  

First of all don't take a lawyer. This money is LOST money and lawyers not work free. If you have a contract you can give the owner a big <deleted> YOU!!! But this can bring more problems to you.

But You don't must sue the owner. Him must sue you and bring you to court if him want to have you out. But with a contract  what run 1 year longer him has bad chances.

Talk with him to find a good solution otherwise gone to the consumer protection board in your city. It's free and they work well.

was your lease contract registered at the Land Office during the last ten years?
If so, you probably have the enforceable right to stay until the end of the contract. The buyer knew of the existence of the lease, and bought anyway.

However, if the lease is just on paper, I believe that sale does not break the lease, similar to other countries. But discussing that with a new owner may be quite tiring as already mentioned, and taking it to a Court of Law expensive.

Sigh....

Three pages of bar stool advice and not a word of it is worth a damn.

First, it is a 2 year lease so cannot be registered on the title of the property.

Secondly, what is in the terms and conditions of the lease.  Many leases here have a clause stating that the agreement can be broken by either party after a specific period of notice.  Often it is one month, but I have also seen one week.

Op, if you are serious about getting advice here on TV, why not post a copy of your lease.

9 hours ago, CMBob said:

Rather ludicrous to make this suggestion (that the landlord and/or owner might send thugs to break legs so the OP ought to flee now!) with zero evidence of any such threats or concerns; on the other hand, you left out another reason the OP should run like hell now (that being the large meteorite that could be heading for his place at this very moment).

OP, just ignore most of the comments and go talk to your landlord.  

talk to his landlord and say what  ?  oh ...  I would like to negotiate compensation for me having to leave because you sold your building  ....  BOB, seriously, you think the landlord is so concerned he will agree and compensate ? ...  lol

Sadly they have you by the short and curlies and they know it.   Think about it... they pulled this... what makes you think they will not go psycho on you.  It has been said before on the previous post, move quickly, temporary if necessary until you can find something more suitable.  Of course, you can try legal action and it will just take..... your money.

all the best... sadly the house always wins... 

Unless I'm missing something the OP doesn't appear to have added any further input seeing as there's many a question asked.

Wouldn't waste my time with him if that's the case.

I agree GuiseppeD. OP - People listening to a friend's story as gospel is not a good idea, especially here. As is evident in this post, ask 5 people and you will get 5 different correct answers. It does seem that you or someone talked to your landlord or was it done by letter? Was there any discussion or indication as to the time given to move when you were told that you had to move out. Why not? So much detail left out of this original post for you to receive any intelligent recommendations or is your purpose to wait for all the bs to go away? It will not

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

On 5/31/2017 at 2:59 PM, English Engineer said:

Most standard contracts in Thailand include a clause that states in the event of a sale the tenant is required to move out with a month notice. You should check the terms of the lease. The problem is that most legal contracts seems to state that in the event of any dispute thai language takes precidence. The wording in thai if included should be carefully checked.

Was thinking the same thing.  The owner may in fact be complying with the contract as agreed upon.  Can't help but think that many farangs are always harping about how it's better to rent than buy.  Clearly not in this case. 

On 6/1/2017 at 8:00 AM, hawker9000 said:

Amazing how even farangs who've been here awhile and should know better cling to this western notion of fair treatment at the hands of the locals and the rule of law.  You're not in Kansas anymore; nor is this your daddy's Thailand.

What’s the point to your rant? Do you just troll the forum to display your self-perceived intellect? My daddy never came to Thailand. You sound like the 'typical short man' with a chip on your shoulder.

I think you should take your own advice and just 'move on' to actually advising people here instead of just insulting them. People actually  DO come here for help.

THANKS FOR NOTHING!!!!!

if it really itches you, go and find a new place and make an official complaint to the consumer protection board in Bangkok, be sure the owner gets a copy!!

Do NOT expect anything NOT because your a foreigner but because the institution is under staffed, under payed under funded and has no legal tools to correct except to expose in public,which by the way is for most Thai nationals creepier then a fine they won't pay in the first place!!

Archived