Landlord wants to break my lease and KICK ME OUT

Hi and thanks for any and all advice.

I have been living in my rented house for 10 years. My landlord has informed me of selling the house. I have 1 year left of a 2 year lease. My  friend had the exact same thing happen, and the new owner told him to vacate the property immediately.  The new owner threatened him as well if he did not get out by the end of the weekend. I have a family and a sudden move would be a huge problem.

My question is about my options. Can I sue the landlord? If so, in what court?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO the best thing you can do is look for a new place as soon as possible. 

The law is on your side, however, is it really worth it to you and your family to allow things to go sour?

Negotiate some 'house hunting time' with the owner and hope that they are reasonable. 

Failing that if you are the 'fighting sort'  you can choose to fight this, refuse to move out, fight it in court or sue the owner... But it will take over your life and life is too short. Find a new place, move on, get your deposit back...

Life can be easier with some give and take... 

Ask for compensation from the landlord, in cash, up front. You won't get any but the compensation may come as time to look for another place. Ask him if the new owner wants to keep you as a tenant.

The situation is normal in Thailand whatever the law says.

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The law is on your side, however, is it really worth it to you and your family to allow things to go sour?

Negotiate some 'house hunting time' with the owner and hope that they are reasonable. 

Failing that if you are the 'fighting sort'  you can choose to fight this, refuse to move out, fight it in court or sue the owner... But it will take over your life and life is too short. Find a new place, move on, get your deposit back...

excellent advice i suspect you have been in thailand for some time. having the law on your side in thailand means very little. best to put the emotions aside and just to negotiate the best possible outcome.

Meet with the landlord and try and negotiate an appropriate amount of time to move out... you might want to start off the meeting assuring them that you expect to leave the house in good shape... try and keep in mind that the objective is the best result possible. Good luck. 

First question is do you have your lease in writing? If yes, does it provide for termination in the event of sale? Probably not and go retain a lawyer. 

If if you do you not have s lease in writing then is there any way for you to prove it is a two year lease? If just he said - you said, then get packing and move on. And you probably have no action against your landlord.

Good luck.

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agree........sometimes it is better to be happy.......than right?

Hate to suggest the obvious but the first thing the OP ought to do is to talk to his landlord to at least discuss if the landlord will be transferring the property (if he sells it) subject to the lease.  The OP did not say the landlord suggested that the lease would not be honored by a new owner.  Just because the OP had a friend who allegedly was treated badly (and likely illegally if the friend truly had a lease) by a new owner doesn't mean it'll happen to the OP.  

Another option is to remain (assuming you have a lease agreement that precludes sale of property). Avoid any direct confrontation with the owner unless you video it and/or have a witness other than family. Let the owner file a complaint with police to eject you.

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

And many times there is no GIVE with some Thais.They can be real axxholes and hurt someone  or your possessions.Get out now.plan revenge for later.  maybe ?

32 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Hate to suggest the obvious but the first thing the OP ought to do is to talk to his landlord to at least discuss if the landlord will be transferring the property (if he sells it) subject to the lease.  The OP did not say the landlord suggested that the lease would not be honored by a new owner.  Just because the OP had a friend who allegedly was treated badly (and likely illegally if the friend truly had a lease) by a new owner doesn't mean it'll happen to the OP.  

The above post is very good advice.

Try to negotiate first favorable terms:

1) Some extra time

2) Moving Expenses

3) Compensation for your time moving

Then have a good business lawyer look over the lease and advise you of your options.

Have the lawyer contact your landlord.

I am curious how did teh property get sold without your knowing/planning for this?

Did the landlord show the property secretly when you were not at home?

In the end do what is best for the peace and safety of your family regardless of the law.

I think its best to look for another apartment asap, you may even need to stay at a service apartment / hotel. Best not to get into an argument with the landlord, he can easily make your life hard - even though the law is on your side. Not worth the hassle at trying to get back and be right. Like another poster said, just try to move on as quick as possible and be happy.

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

"get your deposit back".  :sorry:

19 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Ask for compensation from the landlord, in cash, up front. You won't get any but the compensation may come as time to look for another place. Ask him if the new owner wants to keep you as a tenant.

The situation is normal in Thailand whatever the law says.

Law ????

2 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Meet with the landlord and try and negotiate an appropriate amount of time to move out... you might want to start off the meeting assuring them that you expect to leave the house in good shape... try and keep in mind that the objective is the best result possible. Good luck. 

Remember to emphasis the word "expect".

20 hours ago, jt936 said:

Can I sue the landlord? If so, in what court?

And what good is that going to do ... except put you on his 'end up on the bottom of the Chao Phraya '  list  ??

Just move and be done with it ....  this is Thailand,  it's his property and he want's you out becuase he has sold....    I would request the same if I sold.

49 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Another option is to remain (assuming you have a lease agreement that precludes sale of property). Avoid any direct confrontation with the owner unless you video it and/or have a witness other than family. Let the owner file a complaint with police to eject you.

are you kidding .....    what's say the owner sends a couple of thugs around to help make his mind up  ?   and what is he to do ...  go to the police after two broken legs  ??  

geeeze .....  just move and live to see your next birthday .... :shock1:

Negotiate with the landlord and new owner together. If the landlord has already sold the property there needs to be agreement between all 3 parties. Negotiate a 2 month timeframe to move out as well as your deposit and removal costs covered (try at least). If you receive threats or any unwillingness to accommodate you then get a lawyer involved and in the case of threats the police as well.

46 minutes ago, TravelerEastWest said:

The above post is very good advice.

Try to negotiate first favorable terms:

1) Some extra time

2) Moving Expenses

3) Compensation for your time moving

Then have a good business lawyer look over the lease and advise you of your options.

Have the lawyer contact your landlord.

I am curious how did teh property get sold without your knowing/planning for this?

Did the landlord show the property secretly when you were not at home?

In the end do what is best for the peace and safety of your family regardless of the law.

:cheesy:    ............    sorry .....  but come on !   you really think anyone would want to seriously sit down and discuss compensation  ...  hahha   

the landlord has more things to worry about than 1 tenant who feels hard done by    !!     Just move and get on with life.

I wouldn't force things - yes you can remain by force and they'll need a police order to kick you out - but is this really something you want to have on your shoulders every day in your home? Peace of mind is more important.

If I were you, I'd look for a new place ASAP. There are many places that are ready to move in and you won't have any trouble finding a place. The whole process can take less than a day if you do things properly.

In short: The law is on your side, but it's a battle that'll take energy for nothing and cause trouble and costs for both parties for little to no reward.

2 hours ago, sanukjim said:

And many times there is no GIVE with some Thais.They can be real axxholes and hurt someone  or your possessions.Get out now.plan revenge for later.  maybe ?

What idiocy is this?? Revenge ????? this topic is about house rental...  I think you've been watching too many movies.

OP: Just find a new place - it really isn't that difficult.

I really can't understand a dumb some posters can be in choosing to make life so difficult for themselves. 

Go ahead, fight the fights worth fighting, but this is about renting a house, thats all. 

43 minutes ago, steven100 said:

:cheesy:    ............    sorry .....  but come on !   you really think anyone would want to seriously sit down and discuss compensation  ...  hahha   

the landlord has more things to worry about than 1 tenant who feels hard done by    !!     Just move and get on with life.

All I can say is----- Nothing ventured, nothing gained......... act as is if you won't go..... Test him..............

Meanwhile talk to an attorney...... learn what you can.......... Attorneys aren't expensive and usually they will talk to you for free.......

if not keep in mind about the 'cement in the drains - lots of it' as a last resort....... as I mentioned in the post above............

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

What idiocy is this?? Revenge ????? this topic is about house rental...  I think you've been watching too many movies.

OP: Just find a new place - it really isn't that difficult.

I really can't understand a dumb some posters can be in choosing to make life so difficult for themselves. 

Go ahead, fight the fights worth fighting, but this is about renting a house, thats all. 

yup .... unfortunately with some folks '  practicality & common sense '  is non existent.

like you said ....    why would anyone want to make their life more difficult than it already is .....   just solve it the most practical way.  move on.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

are you kidding .....    what's say the owner sends a couple of thugs around to help make his mind up  ?   and what is he to do ...  go to the police after two broken legs  ??  

geeeze .....  just move and live to see your next birthday .... :shock1:

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

And what good is that going to do ... except put you on his 'end up on the bottom of the Chao Phraya '  list  ??

Just move and be done with it ....  this is Thailand,  it's his property and he want's you out becuase he has sold....    I would request the same if I sold.

Seems you suffer on paranoia or are you a Barstool Storyteller?

Just now, ujayujay said:

Seems you suffer on paranoia or are you a Barstool Storyteller?

lol .....   no .....  but I really doubt the landlord will be interested in paying the OP money so he is compensated to move on ... that's just ridiculous thinking  !  it just ain't gonna happen.

All I can say is----- Nothing ventured, nothing gained......... act as is if you won't go..... Test him..............
Meanwhile talk to an attorney...... learn what you can.......... Attorneys aren't expensive and usually they will talk to you for free.......
if not keep in mind about the 'cement in the drains - lots of it' as a last resort....... as I mentioned in the post above............

Do not listen to this ridiculous advice about cement in the drains . Do you live in a small town or village do you want any future landlords to know you do things like this.Also if he has sold the house this will probably just course problems for the new owner, not your landlord . Same as the moth ball ideal. Unfortunately I would say the best thing is to just move on. The law is on your side( if you have a lease) but we all know that means nothing sometimes times in Thailand. You can fight it but what's the point for a rented house. I've herd landlords just turn of water and electricity if they want you out.Try for some some more time and maybe some compensation but I think that is it really.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Archived