2017 Retirement Extension of Stay (Jomtien)

It is (was) "that" time of year again and I thought I'd beat the crowds by going on a morning when it was pouring rain. Though it was a Monday, "the crowd" was only 9 people at 07:35. At 07:45 they opened the doors so we could get out of the rain.

I was #2 for the extension desk. As per normal, I had everything ready before I arrived. Documents filled out, photocopies signed, new photos, etc. The chap ahead of me had some difficulty with his extension though, something to do with his bank books. I wasn't sure what the problem was at first as the "boss" explained it to the guy's lady friend (in Thai).

(Turns out, he was using a bank book from his normal savings account and hadn't updated it since he had made a large deposit (3 months or so before I guess). He was sent away to go get the book updated. No idea if he came back or not.)

My turn and everything was great except I'd forgotten to photocopy one page of my passport. 2 minutes (and 3 baht) later and I was done. All told, just over an hour from the time I arrived until I was leaving again.

Went back today (after 10 !) picked up my passport, photocopied the pages I needed for the TM.8 (multi re-entry permit) application and had a seat. Read my book for a few minutes and when my number came up I handed the paperwork, passport and cash over and was sent back to my seat, maybe 2 minutes in total from the time my number was called. Barely had a chapter in my novel read when my number was called again and I collected my passport and was out the door.

So about 1 1/2 hours total (including "wait" time) over 2 days, 5,700 baht (and 15 baht for photocopies) and I am "legal" for another year !

Paperwork used for (my) Retirement Extension was:

1.    TM.7 (electronic copy filled in, printed and signed at home, wrote phone  # under signature as per instruction from last year);
  2.    Bank letter verifying funds;
  3.    Copy of front page of updated bank book (showing account holder's name) and page  showing the amount (and date it was updated);
  4.    Photocopies of passport pages (face page, page showing visa transfer from old passport - if applicable, page showing last Extension, page showing last Entry Stamp);
  5.    Photocopy of Departure Card (TM.6)
  6.    Copy of utility bills (I made a single photocopy of 3 different bills showing my name and address);

or 6a. Photocopy of front & back of Thai driving license ! (the lady told me I could use the license or the utility bills but didn't need both); 

7.   Passport photo (attached to TM.7 application); and

8.   1,900 baht.

For the Multi Re-entry permit:

1. TM.8 (electronic copy filled in, printed and signed at home, with phone # written under signature as per what I was told last year);
  2. Photocopy of passport pages (face page, new Extension stamp and last Entry stamp pages);
  3. Photocopy of Departure Card (TM.6);
  4. Passport photo (attached to TM.8 application); and
  5. 3,800 baht.

No fuss. No hassle. Hardly any time at all required and way cheaper than using an "agent". While it's fresh in hand, I might as well start prepping next year's package now !

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 21/11/2017 at 10:51 AM, peeba7 said:

You did not mention a rental contract.

Maybe not needed with drivers license utility bill or otherwise.

They've never actually asked for a rental contract that I recall but as you said, perhaps the utility bills are sufficient and they aren't too concerned if you rent or own (perhaps). 

I haven't heard of any new requirements but it does seem almost like no two people are the same when it comes to Immigration. We could literally live next door to each other and do the exact same things in the same way and when we go to Immigration you'll be asked for different stuff than me.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this one since it's getting close to retirement Extension renewal time.

Last couple of years, I have dropped by Jomtien Immigration a day early to get a Residence Certification letter since I am renting a property and none of the utility bills are in my name. I provide my passport, a picture and the dual-language rental agreement to get this letter. Any changes to their needs and the charges? How busy is the residence letter desk these days? Any recommended times to hit them up?

For the Retirement Extension, I will submit:

TM.7 including phone number and passport picture
Income letter from my embassy. (Bring the same documentary proof the embassy sighted in case they ask for it).
Residence Certification letter (as above)

Dual-language rental agreement (as sighted by the Residence certificate issuing desk).
Copies of passport pages (data page, page showing visa transfer from old passport and all pages with subsequent annual extensions and all related re-entry permits.
Copy of current TM 6 (Departure Card)
And 1900 baht.

This worked for me last year so if anyone has anything to add or otherwise, please let me know.

Thanks!

NL