Thai country wedding insults...

1FinickyOne

54 minutes ago, Farma said:

I wouldn't call them insults...more like friendly banter. Its part of the ceremony in my part of the woods too. As the grooms party arrive at the brides gate they ask to be let in.

Then comes a little bit of too and fro banter along the lines of why does he want to come in? What does he have to offer my daughter? He doesn't look strong enough to work on the farm etc. All is settled with the grooms party offering bottle of whiskey, banana plant etc and the gate is opened.

Spot on. The ones I've been to usually big car convoy, bride and grooms friends and family dancing along the road, loud band or boombox on lead pickup.

The banter is restricted to the women taking the piss out of the groom, stealing his shoes. Groom takes banana plant, whisky and cash as the entrance fee, with loads of mickey-taking - the OP doesn't have to worry and forget about trading insults with the bride's family. I assume you speak Thai so just go along with the banter.

Most of all, just have fun.

2 minutes ago, grollies said:

Spot on. The ones I've been to usually big car convoy, bride and grooms friends and family dancing along the road, loud band or boombox on lead pickup.

The banter is restricted to the women taking the piss out of the groom, stealing his shoes. Groom takes banana plant, whisky and cash as the entrance fee, with loads of mickey-taking - the OP doesn't have to worry and forget about trading insults with the bride's family. I assume you speak Thai so just go along with the banter.

Most of all, just have fun.

Good advice - - yes, I speak Thai and will just go along with it... and that is very much how it happens in the village, boom box and all...  and yes, it is the women mostly taking shots, the men don't seem to get involved... 

The bride was lucky to find a handsome husband. She once sent her photo to a Lonely Hearts agency - they sent it back with a note saying "We're not that lonely".

The groom hasn't spoken to his mother-in-law since they met. It's not that he doesn't like her - He just doesn't want to interrupt.

(Les Dawson - RIP)

Edited by chickenslegs

2 hours ago, Farma said:

I wouldn't call them insults...more like friendly banter. Its part of the ceremony in my part of the woods too. As the grooms party arrive at the brides gate they ask to be let in.

Then comes a little bit of too and fro banter along the lines of why does he want to come in? What does he have to offer my daughter? He doesn't look strong enough to work on the farm etc. All is settled with the grooms party offering bottle of whiskey, banana plant etc and the gate is opened.

This is very normal and most of us may have seen it while attending some wedding. They call it "Pratoo Thong" or "Golden Gate" where the brides relatives block the groom's party from going into her house  by holding gold/plated chains across his pathway and the groom has to answer some silly questions and give bribes before he is let inside. But the OP refers to trading insults on the road!!

3 hours ago, Farma said:

Perfect explanation. Here is one scene where negotiations are in progress. Actually, everything has already been decided in advance. Thai just having a bit of fun.

thai wedding.jpg

22 minutes ago, Gracas said:

Now the whole Thailand experience is beginning to make sense.

ok - but not just Thailand, lots of funny traditions everywhere - - in the West they make the best friends of the groom rent tuxedos and worse for the brides friends as they have to buy expensive gowns and shoes so they can match the color scheme for one day... 

I paid 20 baht each to two young girls who were happy to play a part in their aunts ceremony... 

I've never heard of this tradition, but it sounds fun, certainly sounds interesting and having been here a while like many traditions and aspects of culture it is certainly one which I can see as being quite popular in some areas and never practiced in others....

Of course, some guys believe they are the 'authority' on all things Thai and completely fail to recognize the vast differences and gulf in culture from one area of Thailand to another when all they can do is generalize. 

So, for my little golden droplet of generalization: IF you are well respected in the local community, if people like you and know you have a sense of humor then your attempt to 'heckle' will go down well. IF however people don't know you very well, you may well find your 'heckle' met with blank faces in which case it may hardly be worth the research. 

The way the OP described it I really didn't recognize it - insults being hurled....

But, have watched it + experienced it during our wedding at the entrance with the string, bribes, & good natured banter, jokes, & kidding....I received (and gave back) the obligatory bad time/hazing, and & it was from the gals....It's actually one of those fun "frozen moment" things before the earnest part of the proceedings....

All in all I find that I enjoy the ceremonial spirit of the events here over just about all I've been involved in in the west....It's much more light hearted & seems much more carefree.....

And frankly, that light hearted, good natured spirit has always been present in our marriage & with my Thai family.....Each & every day.....

Edited by pgrahmm

3 hours ago, kenk24 said:

You know, I try and be helpful to others here and the rare time I ask a question, I have to deal with you calling it rubbish... then repeatedly telling me to get a grip... ?? Please. You are the one who should apologize and get a grip... the fact that it is obscure and not many have experienced it does not make it either non-existent or rubbish.... other than in your mind. I have only seen it a couple of times and it was quite funny. The only rubbish seems to be in your mind - - thanks for sharing. 

I guess nobody should ask questions that Jeab1980 does not know the answer to... 

Get a grip stop sulking and man up. Tell you what you throw insults to people going to a wedding. Then after your healed up come back and tell us tbe truth.

32 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Get a grip stop sulking and man up. Tell you what you throw insults to people going to a wedding. Then after your healed up come back and tell us tbe truth.

it is a wedding - the fact that they are insults or banter... and meant to be funny is surely implied... sulking? why would i be sulking? 

you cited this as never happening but you see from all the positive responses that it does happen, though many such as yourself just did not know of this... I ask a simple question, you don't know the answer but prove yourself to be rather unpleasant about it... If you don't know something, why answer? 

27 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

it is a wedding - the fact that they are insults or banter... and meant to be funny is surely implied... sulking? why would i be sulking? 

you cited this as never happening but you see from all the positive responses that it does happen, though many such as yourself just did not know of this... I ask a simple question, you don't know the answer but prove yourself to be rather unpleasant about it... If you don't know something, why answer? 

I answered based on my experiance that why

"and meant to be funny is surely implied..."

Yer right thais are known not to get wound up at the slightest thing so a farang throwing an insult there bound to laugh arent they !!. Anyway tou go throw some insults and enjoy your self..PS i do know about the weddings ive been to. Not unpleasant just calling a spade a spade and rubish as rubish.

Edited by jeab1980

On 5/31/2017 at 6:32 AM, pgrahmm said:

Is this an Italian wedding?

5555. I'm Sicilian and thats our MO. Of course this is after a lot of wine or port has been consumed.  

Sounds like fun Ken. I have been to a few weddings where folks poked fun at the groom.  Typical guy stuff.

If it's anything like our village, letting the village prostitute anywhere near a microphone will result in plenty of insults, descriptions and comparisons of the village men, some of it sung, that she's had over the past year. Leave it to the pros.