Thai country wedding insults...

1FinickyOne

The village weddings I have been to often begin with one family marching down the street and the bride and grooms family shouting friendly insults at each other before joining together. I will be attending one of these next week and will be the sole representative of the groom. Have you heard any funny insults for me to shout at the bride's family? Thanks. 

Yes, this happens at country weddings... I have heard some funny stuff in my village but can't remember. I think some of it had to do with drinking too much. 

And the reason I asked for suggestions is that I imagine there are boundaries... And the bride had mentioned to him that she was sorry that there would be nobody on his side to yell insults back and forth with her family. 

I guess I will just call out that the handsome farang groom wishes to join the family and then be prepared to ad lib responses from there... 

I wouldn't call them insults...more like friendly banter. Its part of the ceremony in my part of the woods too. As the grooms party arrive at the brides gate they ask to be let in.

Then comes a little bit of too and fro banter along the lines of why does he want to come in? What does he have to offer my daughter? He doesn't look strong enough to work on the farm etc. All is settled with the grooms party offering bottle of whiskey, banana plant etc and the gate is opened.

25 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

What a load of total rubish i have attended at least 15 wedding all over Thailand and this has never happened

Yes, of course, because you have never seen it, it is a load of rubbish? Fake news. The Titanic never went down because you have never seen it... nothing really exists if you have never seen it... shall it be said, shall it be done almighty Jeab... 

and now I know, rubbish should be spelled with one "B" only... as you are always correct... 

Edited by kenk24

Just now, kenk24 said:

Yes, of course, because you have never seen it, it is a load of rubbish? Fake news. The Titanic never went down because you have never seen it... nothing really exists if you have never seen it... shall it be said, shall it be done almighty Jeab... 

Get a grip of yourself. Silly coments like this does your silly thread no good. Dear me sometimes i wonder.

3 minutes ago, Farma said:

I wouldn't call them insults...more like friendly banter. Its part of the ceremony in my part of the woods too. As the grooms party arrive at the brides gate they ask to be let in.

Then comes a little bit of too and fro banter along the lines of why does he want to come in? What does he have to offer my daughter? He doesn't look strong enough to work on the farm etc. All is settled with the grooms party offering bottle of whiskey, banana plant etc and the gate is opened.

Yes, friendly banter in regards to entering the bride's family... in my village it can get quite funny.  Thank you for responding. Others are calling it rubbish and saying it never happens... 

1 minute ago, jeab1980 said:

Get a grip of yourself. Silly coments like this does your silly thread no good. Dear me sometimes i wonder.

Yes, of course, it is ok for you to be impolite and inaccurate and call me rubbish... then I am silly... 15 weddings, wow, you must know everything... check the post from Farma above, he has seen this custom too...  you had better stick to the Thai cliches and not probe a little deeper. If you don't know of something, it is surely rubbish.

6 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Yes, of course, it is ok for you to be impolite and inaccurate and call me rubbish... then I am silly... 15 weddings, wow, you must know everything... check the post from Farma above, he has seen this custom too...  you had better stick to the Thai cliches and not probe a little deeper. If you don't know of something, it is surely rubbish.

I say again get a grip.how many say it doesnt happen to one saying it does. I didnt call you rubish i said the the insult calling is rubbish. Funny how you try to round on me even though there were plenty before saying same thing eh. So please get a grip.

Edited by jeab1980

A comment on moderation has been removed.

And the poster who made it would do well to remember the first "insult" in the list he posted (which was also removed).

I wouldn't worry too much. If this is a village wedding you will find many Thai's from other village families will join you on the walk to the brides house assuming there is free food and drink involved.

22 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

I say again get a grip.how many say it doesnt happen to one saying it does. I didnt call you rubish i said the the insult calling is rubbish. Funny how you try to round on me even though there were plenty before saying same thing eh. So please get a grip.

You know, I try and be helpful to others here and the rare time I ask a question, I have to deal with you calling it rubbish... then repeatedly telling me to get a grip... ?? Please. You are the one who should apologize and get a grip... the fact that it is obscure and not many have experienced it does not make it either non-existent or rubbish.... other than in your mind. I have only seen it a couple of times and it was quite funny. The only rubbish seems to be in your mind - - thanks for sharing. 

I guess nobody should ask questions that Jeab1980 does not know the answer to... 

1 hour ago, Farma said:

This ritualized gentle banter sounds in keeping with what I've heard some MC's at weddings do. Anything more sounds too risky to me, especially across cultural/language barriers. I'm curious whether you've seen the groom's family and friends question the bride's merits? The phrase "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" doesn't seem to always apply over here. For example, while women feel free to comment on my weight, if I reciprocate with an observation about their weight, I often get indignant looks like I'm being offensive and rude.

Edited by Gecko123

2 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

You know, I try and be helpful to others here and the rare time I ask a question, I have to deal with you calling it rubbish... then repeatedly telling me to get a grip... ?? Please. You are the one who should apologize and get a grip... the fact that it is obscure and not many have experienced it does not make it either non-existent or rubbish.... other than in your mind. I have only seen it a couple of times and it was quite funny. The only rubbish seems to be in your mind - - thanks for sharing. 

I guess nobody should ask questions that Jeab1980 does not know the answer to... 

ask a fish the bait is not always   good eating:smile:

1 minute ago, Gecko123 said:

This ritualized gentle banter sounds in keeping with what I've heard some MC's at weddings do. Anything more sounds too risky to me, especially across cultural/language barriers. I'm curious whether you've seen the groom's family and friends question the bride's merits? The phrase "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" doesn't seem to always apply over here. For example, while women feel free to comment on my weight all the time, if I reciprocate with an observation about their weight, I get indignant looks like I'm being offensive and rude.

Thanks Gecko - - yes, I would guess it is similar to some of the affectionate teasing done via toasts at Western weddings. And the reason I asked was in hopes for some gentle, fun sort of barbs that do not cross a line. At this point, I am really sorry that I asked anything here.