Of geckos and men

Brunolem

Does anyone know the name of these geckos that regularly visit our houses?

I am talking about these gray lizards, with red spots and red eyes, about 20 cm long, that spend most of their lives roaming walls, looking for insects to catch.

In my area, they call them "tuk kay" because of the sound they emit, mostly at night...this "oh...ooooohhh" that they repeat 7 or 8 times.

The reason I ask is that there are a number of rumors surrounding these animals, one often repeated being that some (unnamed) people are ready to pay a fortune for a big specimen, a monster that would reach 50 cm or so.

I have my doubts that such a specimen might exist, for the simple reason that it wouldn't be able to stick to the walls, even less to the ceilings...and I would like to do some research on this species, in order to squash these rumors if my suspicions are confirmed...hence the need of a name...

Our house has long been a sanctuary for these geckos, since we let them reproduce in peace, which they do with abandon...once adults they leave and are replaced by the next generation....but I have yet to see a specimen longer than, say, 25 cm...

They are tuk-gae (or a variation of that) all over the country.

Here's his Wiki page with some scientific data https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokay_gecko

His scientific name seeks to be "Gekko gecko".

The Tokay is a large gecko, reaching up to 35 centimeters in length.

http://www.tokaygeckos.org/tokay-gecko-fact-sheet

From the sizes on those pages a 50cm one isn't out of the question, but it's going to be pretty darn rare.

I love my tuk-gers and toads. Eduardo the toad lives in the kitchen floor drain and comes out every evening to eat and fornicate.

Toby the tuk-ger lives behind the Kings picture on the kitchen wall. All his compatriots live in the veranda roof steel.

I wouldn't swap the evening animal life sounds here for anything.

Please don't capture and force-feed these lovely animals.

I had one who used to hang off the overhang ceiling above my outdoor kitchen and drop a dump, occasionally, and then every day for months. had to avoid the turd on the tiles every am.

they will avoid humans but they can and will bite and they have strong jaws. if bitten they usually will not release the jaw and I have been told that the best thing to do is to submerge the bitten limb with the tug-kae in water and once under water they will let go. 

in the north they call them tuk-toh 

Trading Tuk-gae Geckos for money is not only illegal it's a scam if you fall for it.  Chinese believe their tongues cure cancer and other illnesses. If that was the case cancer would have been cured years ago. Some wise man once said a fool is born every minute.

4 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

Is google down where you live?

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 2.16.17 PM.png

Thanks, I was about to post the same thing.

In Hong Kong I kept two of these as pets in my apartment.   Both around 24 cm from nose to end of their tail.   Very pretty things.

4 minutes ago, CLW said:

Very useful too, both the big (Tokay) and small ones (common house gecko) eat bugs and mosquitoes in and around your house

Rather have the bugs than the gecko crap everywhere, especially in the kitchen and cupboards.

After 16 years in this house, leaving them alone, I'm now waging total war against them.

Don't forget, they only eat the mossies that they can catch that are flying near a wall. Far more that they don't catch.

Thai myth has it that if one bites you it won't let go until it thunders.. !  I had a small on bite a glove I had on while shifting some timber.. I took the glove off and left it on a wall.. 1/2 hour later it was still attached... !

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

Thanks, I was about to post the same thing.

In Hong Kong I kept two of these as pets in my apartment.   Both around 24 cm from nose to end of their tail.   Very pretty things.

24 cm?

I meant...the real thing...

Screenshot_2017-05-31-16-27-21-1.png

38 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I saw a gecko in my house last week just average size complete covered in black and yellow stripes, it ran across the floor then straight out the door.

Sounds more like a skink. Geckos will try and gain altitude to get away from possible threats and skinks will run along the ground. Also a gecko has a much more triangular shaped head and the skink have tails that are much longer compared to their body as well as being more whip shaped.

Edited by dave_boo

Most reptiles, including geckos, have salmonella bacteria in their poo. If a gecko on the roof drops its sh*t into a plate of exposed food and you eat it, well, you'll get the sh*ts too.

5 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Rather have the bugs than the gecko crap everywhere, especially in the kitchen and cupboards.

After 16 years in this house, leaving them alone, I'm now waging total war against them.

Don't forget, they only eat the mossies that they can catch that are flying near a wall. Far more that they don't catch.

Go back home to your beloved, super-clean and super-sterile homeland, and leave Thailand's wildlife alone! They don't need you, believe me .

You're "now waging total war against them"?  You may end up in jail for killing protected species, and anyway your bad karma will get back to you.

Most reptiles, including geckos, have salmonella bacteria in their poo. If a gecko on the roof drops its sh*t into a plate of exposed food and you eat it, well, you'll get the sh*ts too.

Ahm, and insects are super clean? I guess it's more likely that a fly or bug walks on your food rather than some gecko shits on it

16 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

They eat tinned cat food with no problem, I had one for ages living on my porch. Came out every evening and just sat there looking at me.

Other than opening it?