Machines coming to take millions of Thai jobs: report

webfact

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Scary really. As time goes on machines will take over so many jobs. The real big problem then will be how to distribute the money.

a phenomenom for most industrialized countries...former workers are expected to become sports wizards or philosophers or the like. Governments and industries of these countries will take care of the myriads of jobless - no problem. For Thailand, a similar solution will be found - no problem (Thailand 6.1 or so)

search Google for  : Robot proof jobs - Marketplace

It was a short radio show about this , and the jobs that will be gone in the West

Not sure if cheap labor  is better than a robot that is always at work ?????

20 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Scary really. As time goes on machines will take over so many jobs. The real big problem then will be how to distribute the money. How are you supposed to earn money when there are literally no jobs available for you to do?

Well, that is your problem then.

Not a problem for big companies and rich people.

Same same in the '70's when they talked about computers and paperless offices....

the workers will be redeployed to make the robots, write software, inspect the product etc. Man is more versatile than machines!! Artificial inseminator has not yet resulted in less nooky??!!

Before I retired in 2011 I was an electronics  technician .

I worked on communications microwave radio and computer communication systems.

About 1980 I realized that as a technician with a soldering iron and a multi-meter my skills were rapidly becoming out of date.

So I learned to do some basic programing and wrote some computer programs that did some of the testing for us..

In short I automated our testing process.....where tests that took 3 hours to do manually could be done in 1 hour by using the computer system we had.

That fact is why EDUCATION and NEW Skills are  required in Thailand also.

Unless the Thai schools and Universities learn this fact, they will have a workforce that is increasingly out of date with the required job skills.

Thailand, and the U.S. also most wake up and learn new skills or fall behind in the race to progress.

Not intended as a rant, just a statement of fact in the real world.

21 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

The problem for the Thais is the vast majority are menial, unskilled workers who can be replaced easily.

Western commentators are already saying that Western Governments will have to pay a universal stipend to everybody because there simply won't be enough jobs to go around. Good luck getting anything out of the this mob, the elite will just send the military in again.

Only Donald Trump can solve employment problems for unskilled or poorly skilled workers :smile:

Rice planting and harvesting machines have been available for years... they've never replaced the thousands of Thais doing it by hand

If Thais refuse to buy the machines then how can they take over their jobs....

same as construction sites, you might see one machine but an army of manual workers all digging with shovels!

Only in Foreign owned factories such as Honda, Toyota etc where you can see true automation because it's dictated by speed & profit!

22 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I recall reading about some social experiments being done, anticipating this problem. They gave about 2,000 people "free money" every month to effectively do nothing. Interestingly, most of them pursued higher education, became more physically active and were much more likely to be an active member of the community.

I suspect it is a little late for me to see it rolled out globally though.

Depends on WHO they gave the money to. If they gave it to 2,000 yobs they would spend it all on booze.

20 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Rice planting and harvesting machines have been available for years... they've never replaced the thousands of Thais doing it by hand

If Thais refuse to buy the machines then how can they take over their jobs....

same as construction sites, you might see one machine but an army of manual workers all digging with shovels!

Only in Foreign owned factories such as Honda, Toyota etc where you can see true automation because it's dictated by speed & profit!

Thailand is one of the countries where automation won't replace as many workers, because workers are cheap, so the scale threshold at which robots start to be profitable is very high.

And then Thailand's wages are also low enough to maintain that high number of small jobs or unnecessary personnel everywhere, while in Europe these jobs have been lost by the workforce that priced itself out of work.

My guess is that while automation will come, it will do so only in a limited number of high technology plants.

1 hour ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Before I retired in 2011 I was an electronics  technician .

I worked on communications microwave radio and computer communication systems.

About 1980 I realized that as a technician with a soldering iron and a multi-meter my skills were rapidly becoming out of date.

So I learned to do some basic programing and wrote some computer programs that did some of the testing for us..

In short I automated our testing process.....where tests that took 3 hours to do manually could be done in 1 hour by using the computer system we had.

That fact is why EDUCATION and NEW Skills are  required in Thailand also.

Unless the Thai schools and Universities learn this fact, they will have a workforce that is increasingly out of date with the required job skills.

Thailand, and the U.S. also most wake up and learn new skills or fall behind in the race to progress.

Not intended as a rant, just a statement of fact in the real world.

I'd really like to agree with you, but that thinking is already obsolete. AI will eliminate the need for humans to do work. The machines will program themselves, repair themselves, build themselves. They are going to be able to do anything that a human can do. Even jobs that require a human appearance will be done by androids.

If one is to ask why our lords and masters would allow such- simple- GREED. They think that if they can automate faster than others they will make loadsacash. Unfortunately that only lasts as long as there are enough people making money to buy whatever they make, and if all the serfs are unemployed that isn't going to last very long.

Where to then? Plenty of scenarios out there, ands not going into them, except for one. If the rich just abandon the masses to their fate, the French revolution is going to be a Sunday school picnic compared to the revolution that would result.

The time to work out solutions is NOW, but is it happening- NO.

If any on here care about the future of their children- get involved and make something happen. Otherwise it won't be pleasant.

1 minute ago, manarak said:

Thailand is one of the countries where automation won't replace as many workers, because workers are cheap, so the scale threshold at which robots start to be profitable is very high.

And then Thailand's wages are also low enough to maintain that high number of small jobs or unnecessary personnel everywhere, while in Europe these jobs have been lost by the workforce that priced itself out of work.

My guess is that while automation will come, it will do so only in a limited number of high technology plants.

so the scale threshold at which robots start to be profitable is very high.

That isn't going to last long. As robots are far cheaper to operate than humans, the only impediment is cost per unit. Once robots can mass produce and repair the other robots, the cost per unit will be very low. I give it 50 years max before humans become redundant, and that is probably being optimistic.

With AI, robots will be more clever than humans, last indefinitely, upgrade instantly. Of course they don't require pay, sick leave, holidays etc etc.

The only bright side that I can see is that androids will make sex amazing, every time ( plus they never have a headache ). :wub:

12 minutes ago, manarak said:

while in Europe these jobs have been lost by the workforce that priced itself out of work.

In New Zealand the people losing out to automation are low paid people eg petrol station attendants, car park cashiers etc.

Other jobs at risk are bank tellers, receptionists, store clerks etc. None of which are highly paid.

Of course NZ gave away most of it's industry years ago, so it has no major industries to automate.

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

so the scale threshold at which robots start to be profitable is very high.

That isn't going to last long. As robots are far cheaper to operate than humans, the only impediment is cost per unit. Once robots can mass produce and repair the other robots, the cost per unit will be very low. I give it 50 years max before humans become redundant, and that is probably being optimistic.

With AI, robots will be more clever than humans, last indefinitely, upgrade instantly. Of course they don't require pay, sick leave, holidays etc etc.

The only bright side that I can see is that androids will make sex amazing, every time ( plus they never have a headache ). :wub:

And halfway through your session, the robot will stop and  say :"you have run out of credit points"  Please report to reception and pay more credit points of leave the premises immediately !  Not a lot different to the present situation really. ..:whistling:

12 minutes ago, xerostar said:

And halfway through your session, the robot will stop and  say :"you have run out of credit points"  Please report to reception and pay more credit points of leave the premises immediately !  Not a lot different to the present situation really. ..:whistling:

Good one, and it happened to me.

First massage I ever had in Thailand back in the 70s, the masseuse started on my feet and had only got as far as my knees when the phone rang. I still wonder what would have happened if I could have afforded longer :smile:.

21 minutes ago, xerostar said:

If you don't put NFC payments into your sex droids you aren't going to be a player in the sex bot industry game in the future. NFC and automatic top ups for the win.

"Asked what the government can do to alleviate the impending doom, both Huynh and Rynhart suggested investing more in infrastructure and education reform that encourage creativity and analytical thinking."

Well, let's see... My expectations are low to none that this will ever happen in Thailand

35 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

while in Europe these jobs have been lost by the workforce that priced itself out of work.

In New Zealand the people losing out to automation are low paid people eg petrol station attendants, car park cashiers etc.

Other jobs at risk are bank tellers, receptionists, store clerks etc. None of which are highly paid.

Of course NZ gave away most of it's industry years ago, so it has no major industries to automate.

Later over the road truckers, taxi drivers, and a few others will be out of work as well. They aren't high paid but there will be a ripple affect. The retail business is huge and many people have low paying jobs but still need to eat somewhere.

So those restaurants in malls will have no customers. Truck stops will go under because automated trucks won't stop and have their own fuel.  The lost goes on but what percentage of the work force do they represent?

Have a neighborhood restaurant and bar? Well you need those low income people to spend now and again. Have a corner shop? Sorry Amazon beats your price and ships to the door for free. Times are a bit scary for those that were just getting by but doing okay.

In Thailand's case they don't have a work force that is highly adaptable. You can't just take Somchai out of the fields once he is replaced by tractors and teach him advanced algorithms for sophisticated automation applications.

The key is education but Thailand doesn't have teachers that are skilled enough to teach these things. Any good school in  a rich area back home is focusing heavily on tech education from very young ages now. It isn't enough to start at the university level. In ten years if you don't have some programming knowledge by the age of 10 years old or even younger you will be a dinosaur. 

Just now, anotheruser said:

Later over the road truckers, taxi drivers, and a few others will be out of work as well. They aren't high paid but there will be a ripple affect. The retail business is huge and many people have low paying jobs but still need to eat somewhere.

It isn't enough to start at the university level. In ten years if you don't have some programming knowledge by the age of 10 years old or even younger you will be a dinosaur. 

They are finalizing driverless cars ( no taxi drivers ) and driverless trucks as I write. That's a few million in a country the size of America and Europe. What are they going to do? No one knows and governments apparently don't care.

AI will eliminate computer programmers. Just tell the computer what you want and it will program itself.

In New Zealand they just launched a space rocket with a motor made by 3D printing. How many millions work in industries that would be obsolete if 3D printing became commonplace?

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They are finalizing driverless cars ( no taxi drivers ) and driverless trucks as I write. That's a few million in a country the size of America and Europe. What are they going to do? No one knows and governments apparently don't care.

AI will eliminate computer programmers. Just tell the computer what you want and it will program itself.

In New Zealand they just launched a space rocket with a motor made by 3D printing. How many millions work in industries that would be obsolete if 3D printing became commonplace?

Well at some point the concept of having to have a job just to eat will be an antiquated model. However until we reach that point times are going to be tough. 20-30% unemployment is going to make for some interesting times ahead to say the least.

It would be nice if people could just do what ever they wanted and have a roof and some thing to eat. The majority of people will not just sit and do nothing. 

9 hours ago, timber said:

If you are younger than 60, better be thinking about supporting yourself in the future.  If in the states sell be ready to sell your house and move to Thailand.

Yes bring a body bag and get ready to live a short life as all your money will end up in others hands  very quickley

Move to T

Dumb idea move to the moon it will be safer even with out oxygen.