Pattaya boomtown - Russian and Chinese "quality tourists" flooding back as resort becomes hub of Sport Tourism, claims TAT

webfact

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

The main people I saw watching the marathon in Pattaya were the people stuck in traffic, as they reduced the number of lanes available.

But my favorite soup seller liked seeing the topless men.

Lol Lol Thank god i was not running He/She would say Thai elephant there 

• 1 month later...
On 01/06/2017 at 10:33 AM, owl sees all said:

Thanks for the compliment and your confidence.

But with respect Flying Pig Competition is not F1 or International tennis.

But it could be, Pattaya Hub of Flying Pig competitions, watch while TAT steal my idea....

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The day you enter the country is day one of the 30 days. Your stamp is correct.

If leaving from either airport in Bangkok you will not be fined 500 baht for one day of overstay.

People miscount the days all the time which is why one day of overstay is not a big problem.

Yes that's what I've done counted 6th as 1 day thanks

Edited by feasantplukka
Wrong post

• 2 weeks later...

I live sort of near ground zero of the hotels for the Chinese tour groups and talk to an expat who owns a guesthouse in the area. In fact, a hotel was made especially for them at the end of our soi (so I was told). He said all these groups demand heavy discounts from wherever they go....hotels, buffet restaurants, etc. to the point where he won't bother with them. But he said the larger hotels accept them and they never have a "low season" as a result, they are booked year round.

There is vacant plaza near us and they cleared out all the garbage, put gravel down, and use it as a large parking lot just for the tour buses for these groups. It's crazy. But, these groups are corralled by the tour guides and don't venture outside of their groups. So, local businesses don't benefit from them unless they are part of the pre-arranged circuit as the hotels and buffet places are. So, there's added traffic congestion and reduced parking but no financial benefit to locals.

Plus, these bus drivers are crazier than crazy. I see them flying down the roads, often running red lights, and passing into oncoming traffic on the beach road (Jomtien). Worse than the "limo" van drivers.

The Chinese spend far less per person so the govt thinks they will make up for it in volume. They're counting tourist heads so they see an increase in that stat and are happy. More backwards thinking. Nothing new there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/06/2017 at 5:41 AM, Jessi said:

More B/S from the  TAT!!!

Andrew Drummond just did a story about the lies coming out of the TAT.

From my observation it appears to be true. Many Chinese independents tourists are breaking away from the tour bus 'herd'. And there are many more Russians around than two years ago. Whether or not they return is another matter. After 30 years of visiting Thailand I firmly believe, whatever the numerous attractions, the Thai girls make it all worthwhile and are the backbone of real Thai tourist economy.

On 6/1/2017 at 10:52 AM, neeray said:

Well spoken. You can't convert the  image of a place like Pattaya in 6 months to a hub of anything. It takes years to go

from boom boom to boom. And infrastructure.

You can't polish a turd.

14 minutes ago, hansnl said:

I really don't understand.

If TAT is making things up about tourists from Russia and China, the quality kind, are arriving in droves, isn't there someone in Government or Business calling out: "where?".

Don't know where you live but "where" would be just about everywhere in Pattaya--except maybe bars catering to Westerners. 

• Like 1

Has the government ever produced a list of events that shows Pattaya is a hub of Sports Tourism? They did that very poorly attended (and participated in) run. That was postponed several times so many they are counting each time a date was announced. That's the only thing I know of..

7 hours ago, elgenon said:

Has the government ever produced a list of events that shows Pattaya is a hub of Sports Tourism? They did that very poorly attended (and participated in) run. That was postponed several times so many they are counting each time a date was announced. That's the only thing I know of..

I would dispute your post saying the marathon had poor participation.  I watched a steady stream of runners from my balcony and I think I missed the bulk of them that ran by before I got up.  The Toyota Triathalon also had good participation. 

16 hours ago, elgenon said:

Has the government ever produced a list of events that shows Pattaya is a hub of Sports Tourism?

No but I can inform you about to big events for women.  the LPGA golf tour was here a couple of years ago with all the best stars in the world, and WTA tennis Pattaya Open at Dusit Thani hotel . 

• Like 1