Vet wins online praise for helping paralysed monitor lizard

webfact

Vet wins online praise for helping paralysed monitor lizard
By The Nation

6f46c0bb044a0a0c69bb0edb5b982792.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- A veterinarian has won praise from Thai Facebook users for his efforts to treat a large “hia” or monitor lizard that had been hit by a vehicle, attacked by local residents, and even bitten by its own species.

The vet, Thaweesak Anansiriwatana, posted photos of the paralysed reptile on his Facebook wall on Monday.

The post has so far received over 19,000 reactions, over 1,700 comments and it has been shared over 3,300 times.

The vet recounted in the post that a good Samaritan took the reptile to his Klong Luang vet hospital for help. The person told him that the monitor lizard was hit by a vehicle so it tried to crawl to hide under a high-platform house but local residents attacked it and it was also bitten by other monitor lizards.

The reptile, which could barely move, was dying in the muddy waters until the good Samaritan spotted it and took it to the hospital.

The vet said the reptile also had an angle hook stuck in its throat.

“I would like to thank the person who brought this giant hia here. The x-ray scan found that it had an injury at the spine near its neck, paralysing almost the entire body. It has to lie still but the sides of the body and tail have gone numb. Let’s pray for its recovery,” he posted.

A lot of Facebook users praised him for his efforts to try to save the life of the reptile.

“Your heart is so beautiful,” a Facebook user said.

“Please accept my respects,” another posted.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30316922

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-01

"local residents attacked it"

I gather that Thais don't like them, which makes this story more remarkable.

By the way, there is a little motorboat that goes up and down San Saep canal at night with a searchlight scanning the banks on both sides all the way. I can only imagine he's looking for monitors, though I have no idea why as I don't think Thais eat them. Does anyone know what he's doing?

"but local residents attacked it"

low-life scum. No other words for this. Instead of calling someone either to relieve it from his pain or bring him to a vet they attacked this helpless creature.
I hope they encounter the same in their poor life

7 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

"local residents attacked it"

I gather that Thais don't like them, which makes this story more remarkable.

By the way, there is a little motorboat that goes up and down San Saep canal at night with a searchlight scanning the banks on both sides all the way. I can only imagine he's looking for monitors, though I have no idea why as I don't think Thais eat them. Does anyone know what he's doing?

Crocs and monitors make great boots.The monitor skin is softer.