Scientists detect Einstein gravitational waves for a third time

webfact

7 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Gravity is a force. There is so far no conclusive evidence that a graviton with wave-particle duality even exist.

Gravity is also by far the weakest of the 4 fundamental forces. 

You are truly clueless.  Ever wonder what your life would have been like if you had stayed in school? 

Three billion years ago, in a third of a second, two black holes crashed into each other and merged into a single entity, converting two solar masses into energy that shook the fabric of spacetime, sending gravitational ripples across the universe that were detected on Earth last January, researchers announced Thursday.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gravity-waves-from-black-hole-merger-detected/

Gravitational waves escaped from the colliding black holes traveled across the universe for 3 billion years then jiggled the laser in the LIGO and made the newspapers. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

Well it is not a sound wave exactly is it?  It is a sound that is made from the radio waves that are generated  near the event horizon, Whatever it is, it is very cool to listen to and to consider that waves that make the sound took millions of light years to get here and they came from one of the most feared phenomena in the Universe.

A thing which is not a sound wave exactly is not a sound wave at all.  Which is to say that we cannot hear it.  We cannot hear radio wave, light, x-rays, cosmic rays or any other portion of the electromagentic spectrum, including the very latest not-sound-wave phenomenon, gravitational waves.  The sound clip is the equivalent of demonstrating what magenta would sound like if you could hear it, i.e. meaningless.

6 minutes ago, CaptHaddock said:

You are truly clueless.  Ever wonder what your life would have been like if you had stayed in school? 

Three billion years ago, in a third of a second, two black holes crashed into each other and merged into a single entity, converting two solar masses into energy that shook the fabric of spacetime, sending gravitational ripples across the universe that were detected on Earth last January, researchers announced Thursday.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gravity-waves-from-black-hole-merger-detected/

Gravitational waves escaped from the colliding black holes traveled across the universe for 3 billion years then jiggled the laser in the LIGO and made the newspapers. 

A bit harsh sir! I think Black Holes are far from being fully understood. Also a unified theory is still elusive as far as I know

3 minutes ago, CaptHaddock said:

A thing which is not a sound wave exactly is not a sound wave at all.  Which is to say that we cannot hear it.  We cannot hear radio wave, light, x-rays, cosmic rays or any other portion of the electromagentic spectrum, including the very latest not-sound-wave phenomenon, gravitational waves.  The sound clip is the equivalent of demonstrating what magenta would sound like if you could hear it, i.e. meaningless.

Sonar / ASDIC are compression waves? No?

5 minutes ago, CaptHaddock said:

A thing which is not a sound wave exactly is not a sound wave at all.  Which is to say that we cannot hear it.  We cannot hear radio wave,

So is it your turn to be completely clueless now? I am well aware you cannot hear radio waves until they are converted to the audible spectrum, just the same as you listening to Radio Thai Visa, which cannot be heard until you use that clever little box of tricks you take for granted. It is rich that you come on here calling another member clueless and then proceed to be clueless yourself. There are MANY processes in the universe from which radio waves in a specific band are generated.

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:

A bit harsh sir! I think Black Holes are far from being fully understood. Also a unified theory is still elusive as far as I know

A theory that could unify Newtonian physics and Quantum Mechanic and at the same time explain dark mass and energy would truly be beautiful.

Newtonian physics works great for large objects with a big mass. Quantum Mechanics is very good at describing the realm of the microscopic with atomic size mass. 

The problem with black holes is that they are the size of an atom but have the mass of stars. We have no theory to describe that.

6 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

A theory that could unify Newtonian physics and Quantum Mechanic and at the same time explain dark mass and energy would truly be beautiful.

Newtonian physics works great for large objects with a big mass. Quantum Mechanics is very good at describing the realm of the microscopic with atomic size mass. 

The problem with black holes is that they are the size of an atom but have the mass of stars. We have no theory to describe that.

My passion for quantum physics renewed a couple of years ago when someone was asking me for an ultra secure encryption system and I dived into the world of quantum encryption. Fascinating stuff, I got involved with a company in Switzerland who do it and they took me round CERN as they work on this stuff with their scientists. I found that quantum entanglement was the most wondrous thing to ponder on. Just - wow!

So much many of us want to know but 1 life time is not enough.

Edited by Andaman Al

Just now, Andaman Al said:

So is it your turn to be completely clueless now? I am well aware you cannot hear radio waves until they are converted to the audible spectrum, just the same as you listening to Radio Thai Visa, which cannot be heard until you use that clever little box of tricks you take for granted. It is rich that you come on here calling another member clueless and then proceed to be clueless yourself. There are MANY processes in the universe from which radio waves in a specific band are generated.

Your little box converts radio waves to sound because the radio waves were produced by encoding some sound originally.  Radio waves which do not encode sounds can only be translated into sound by some completely arbitrary mapping of radio frequencies to sound frequencies.  Such an arbitrary mapping is meaningless.  You could similarly arbitrarily assign middle C to fire engine red.  But then in what sense is middle C the "sound" of fire engine red?  In no sense.

So that takes care of radio waves which, however, play no role at all in the topic under discussion which is gravitational waves.  Gravitational waves are neither radio waves nor sound waves.  The massive colliding black holes which together had the mass of 49 suns made their collision in complete silence.  It never generated a peep because it is in the vacuum of space which is not a medium like air that can carry sound waves. 

So the claim that the recorded blip is the sound of the colliding black holes is equivalent to my telling you that cobalt blue is the color of the colliding black holes, i.e. meaningless.

20 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Sonar / ASDIC are compression waves? No?

Sonar is sound.  That is why you can hear it.  Sound, including sonar, can travel through water even better than through air.  But it can't travel through the vacuum of space.

5 minutes ago, CaptHaddock said:

Sonar is sound.  That is why you can hear it.  Sound, including sonar, can travel through water even better than through air.  But it can't travel through the vacuum of space.

Correct!

You can hear ASDIC? You're a younger man than me Gunga Din!

May I recommend "principles of underwater sound"? We still lead the world in this area but don't tell anybody

Mr Prager

Edited by Grouse

17 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

My passion for quantum physics renewed a couple of years ago when someone was asking me for an ultra secure encryption system and I dived into the world of quantum encryption. Fascinating stuff, I got involved with a company in Switzerland who do it and they took me round CERN as they work on this stuff with their scientists. I found that quantum entanglement was the most wondrous thing to ponder on. Just - wow!

So much many of us want to know but 1 life time is not enough.

You will enjoy the below, they can be downloaded for the usual sites. Steven Strogatz is really a good presenter.

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/chaos.html

https://www.thegreatcoursesplus.com/quantum-mechanics

11 hours ago, CaptHaddock said:

Audio?  How can sound waves be transmitted through the vacuum of space?

9 hours ago, Zyxel said:

Correct, I guess he means radio waves or electromagnetic waves.

No, neither. It does say 'gravitational waves'. But you'll have to learn about Einstein's general theory of relativity first to understand what they are.

Think I'll stick to sudoku!

9 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

You will enjoy the below, they can be downloaded for the usual sites. Steven Strogatz is really a good presenter.

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/chaos.html

https://www.thegreatcoursesplus.com/quantum-mechanics

Getting a bit old now, but still well worth watching.  And a good introduction to Lawrence Krauss if you haven't heard/seen him before:

13 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I find this stuff immensely interesting, I climb into it with heart and soul. I spent three weeks once pondering on Dr David Bohm's theory of the 'implicate order' I managed to understand the basics which gave me tremendous satisfaction.

Yes, it makes sense once you ponder it.

bohm.jpg

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I don't think they're the size of an atom.  They can possibly be as large as Manhattan.  

As for what came just prior to the Big Bang.  No one knows, but here's a guess:  A black hole which was the resultant concentration of the prior universe, which inverted.   That ultra large black hole then imploded upon itself, and the outcome was the universe we're in now.  

Note:  Astrophysicists claim that it's impossible for a black hole to implode, no matter how large it is.  Maybe so, but it was only several decades ago, that astronomers didn't know that stars can implode to create supernovas.   And a few decades before that, it was found that other galaxies existed outside of the Milky Way.  So, who can say for sure that it's impossible for a super-massive black hole to implode. 

The ever-faster expanding universe we experience now will not change direction and come in on itself as the prior universe did (according to my theory).  So, perhaps we are the final chapter.   I also like the 'brane' theory of how the universe began, and how it gets recreated every 100 billion years or so.  

As for the 'Big Bang' as conventionally described (and agreed upon by nearly all astrophysicists), I don't buy it.  It is based on three assumptions, any of which are, to me, unbelievable:

#1   nothing at all existed before 13.4 billion years ago

#2   time started 13.4 billion years ago.  Before that, there was no passage of time

#3   the current universe started from a point smaller than the dot over this typed i, and initially expanded much faster than the speed of light for at tens of millions of years.   

None of those above-3 things are plausible.  We need a better theory.  

2 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Apologies, I just found it amusing to think that Thai Visa attracts theoretical physicists ... :sleep:

You would be amazed who is lurking out here when people are not predisposed with arguing over T.............. you know who. :wink:

2 hours ago, ballpoint said:

Getting a bit old now, but still well worth watching.  And a good introduction to Lawrence Krauss if you haven't heard/seen him before:

It may be old, but it doesn't age. Thanks for putting it up, I had an enjoyable hour.