When were 10 year drivers licences issued?

Spoke to someone today who showed me his 10 year Thai drivers licence that he obtained a couple of years ago. He said an agency arranged for him to do the test, provided transport there and back etc, and at the end he had the 10 year licence. I'd never heard of one, has anyone else?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Agency DL wonder if it a good copy. :biggrin:

Looked the real deal to me, but surely they wouldn't make it a 10 year if there's no such thing? If stopped by police they'd pick that up immediately, wouldn't they?

Just now, Rob13 said:

Where's the agency, did you get the name? Some more info would be good.

I assume the agency is in Pattaya, that's where he lives. He's going to try and find their card for me.

Just now, Rob13 said:

If it's legit, sounds like a good thing. Does sound a bit sketchy though.

It's just that I'd never heard of a 10 year licence. There are no longer lifetime licences issued and I've never heard of anyone getting more than 5 year, 6 if you go just after your birthday.

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Looked the real deal to me, but surely they wouldn't make it a 10 year if there's no such thing? If stopped by police they'd pick that up immediately, wouldn't they?

I don't know about police maybe if the officer was diligent,  it's just agency,  Pattaya,  10 year DL,   just rings alarm bells to me.

Just now, Kwasaki said:

I don't know about police maybe if the officer was diligent,  it's just agency,  Pattaya,  10 year DL,   just rings alarm bells to me.

He did say it cost him around 10,000 baht.

39 minutes ago, giddyup said:

He did say it cost him around 10,000 baht.

Maybe there's more to it where he is concerned,  my 5 year one was only 500 or 600 bht so don't make sense to me.

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Maybe there's more to it where he is concerned,  my 5 year one was only 500 or 600 bht so don't make sense to me.

I said an agency handled it for him, they aren't going to do it for free.

Just now, giddyup said:

I said an agency handled it for him, they aren't going to do it for free.

My point was his using an agency for a reason, that's what l meant by maybe there's more to it for him spending that amount instead of going to a DLT office.

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

My point was his using an agency for a reason, that's what l meant by maybe there's more to it for him spending that amount instead of going to a DLT office.

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

No doubt. His eyesight is pretty bad for a start. Same as people who use agencies to get their retirement extension because they can't raise the 800,000 baht or have enough income.

I remember that this "10 year license" had been mentioned in another thread.

Still I haven't found a clue that this is a legal thing.

"It cost him 10000", "agency handled it all", "no tests involved" says a lot, doesn't it?

And I also wonder how he could have get trough a checkpoint with this.

6 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I remember that this "10 year license" had been mentioned in another thread.

Still I haven't found a clue that this is a legal thing.

"It cost him 10000", "agency handled it all", "no tests involved" says a lot, doesn't it?

And I also wonder how he could have get trough a checkpoint with this.

My only thought is perhaps there is a 10 year one for some government staff and the loop hole is being used...Mrs.Trans sister has one of the old life time ones...

What seems to happen: "human error".

There are some posts/pictures in Thai forums.

One shows a 10 yr validity and the poster is concerned that he might get trouble with that.

One picture shows an 18 yr validity.

Another one a 13 yr validity.

:smile:

Maybe the 10000 Baht was not only for skipping tests but also for promoting "human error".

And after the error: is it legal and valid?

The (almost) 13 yr version:

1382278376-SANY0271JP-o.jpg

10 minutes ago, transam said:

My only thought is perhaps there is a 10 year one for some government staff and the loop hole is being used...Mrs.Trans sister has one of the old life time ones...

It is so corrupt here that for a price strings can be pulled for literally anything. The police won`t care providing the licence looks the real deal.

Know a guy who does not qualify for a retirement visa, doesn`t have enough money. Pays 20000 baht to an agency, they loan him 800000 baht for 3 months After he obtains his retirement extension, pays back the money, then all done. Stinks to high heaven. So the 10 year driving licence does not surprise me.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

One shows a 10 yr validity and the poster is concerned that he might get trouble with that.

Maybe the 10000 Baht was not only for skipping tests but also for promoting "human error".

Have seen a few licenses like this when renewing for the second or third 5 year one. The issue date is the date of your license is first issued.

And I also wonder how he could have get through a checkpoint with this.

I know of mine and of a few others that been through checkpoints that l have found it rare in my case unless speeding,  that a police officer has ask to see my DL and looked at it and took down details.

For most any other reasons it has only been a brief glance.

4 minutes ago, DPGumbypgh said:

Have seen a few licenses like this when renewing for the second or third 5 year one. The issue date is the date of your license is first issued.

That sounds plausible. My extension is next year, so I will know for sure :smile:

Yeah my one dated 49  to  61  didn't realize until today.  :w00t:

OK, so I stand corrected. Forget the 13/18 yr examples.

But now back to the OP :
was your friend issued a license that is (was) valid for 10 yr from printing/handover?

Or in other words: 10 yr until next extension due?