Latest "Uber misunderstanding" as woman surrounded by taxis and red bus in Chiang Mai.

rooster59

22 hours ago, the guest said:

Uber is illegal, and so the taxi drivers have a right to defend their jobs, but in accordance to the law of course.

The drivers may have a right to defend their jobs, but that right should not include vigilante justice, and basically detaining people.  If they think something illegal is happening, call the cops.  As for the illegal part, well, in many cities taxis are very tightly regulated.  New York city in the USA issued a finite number of tax medallions and they cost quite a bit to get, in the hundreds of thousands last time I checked, maybe more now.  Now all of a sudden Uber comes along and doesn't have to obey the taxi laws?  Many cities and countries have to sort out how to regulate and handle these things

12 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Let me see, usually TVF members are the first to slag off Thai people who do a job for which they are not qualified or licensed. Usually they call them mom and pop or Somchai.

Now they are all up to allow mom and pops, who may be got there driving license last week by paying some tea money, to play taxi driver and transport other humans in their vehicles.

So what's the real reason for this? Is it because they can save 25 Baht on a trip, or is it because Uber and Grab are foreign companies, because everything foreign must be superior?

Answers on a postcard, but you don't get my address.

You think the regular taxi drivers are these upstanding virtuous citizens with a wide geographical knowledge of the area's they drive in who have had held licenses for years ?

Some of them maybe, however, the reality is many of the regular Taxi drivers are taxi drivers because they can't do anything else, they are ex convicts fresh out of prison, no licenses, no taxi license...  

Of course, thats a little unfair as many are excellent drivers with clean cars, guys who do offer a professional level of service, however, in aggregate the negative experiences end up tarnishing the positive encounters - this is a shame for the good drivers. 

I know UBER or GRAB are not going to kick me out of their taxi half way through a journey because they've changed their mind and don't want to go all the way to the chosen destination. A regular taxi? this exact thing happened to me a couple of nights ago.  I know UBER or GRAB will be reliable in their promise to the customer, with a regular taxi, anything can and does happen... 

One thing I don't understand about what people keep repeating is "Uber is illegal". How can the app itself be illegal.

What if a driver has a taxi licence, his vehicle is registered and insured for commercial use and then uses the Uber app to find customers? So is it really just a question of the drivers themselves getting the appropriate licences to drive Uber legally, or is it to do with that technically all taxis should use their meters? But what about those companies that provide taxi/limo services for fixed prices from the airport etc. 

17 hours ago, YetAnother said:

CM governor should step in here; or is sleeping 24 hours a day not enough

why should he? He may be missing out on his monthly paychecks from the Taxi "cooperative", who knows.....

On 03/06/2017 at 9:24 AM, Rob13 said:

"We" ?

Just imagine you are standing there on the side of the road turning taxis and red buses down while waiting for your wife to pick you up in your/her car.

She stops to collect you and 4 or 5 taxis and red buses block you in in a threatening manner and accuse your wife of being a driver for Uber.

What would YOU do then?

On 6/2/2017 at 11:04 PM, tomwct said:

Need to make Uber Legal, so the RTP can arrest the Taxi drivers.

Nothing to do with making Uber legal. The drivers are guilty of intimidation and threatening behaviour. They should be fined 500 baht and told not to do it again until the next time.

in Chiang Mai you dont have any taxis inside the town, only taxi service is from Airport to the town. 

And much more Thais using Uber than foreigners do, I nearly don´t know any Thai who doesn´t use Uber in the last 5 month, since they operating in Chiang Mai. The cars are clean, you know the price before, you can see when the car arive, it is 100% cheaper than any old red truck or tuk tuk, who try to bring you to other hotels or bars, to get commision. We call for our customers only Uber cars, so we know they are safe and no waiting time.

This here cowpoke is still new in town. Anyone know if the following news item will amount to more than a hill o beans?

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/total-overhaul-of-red-songtaews-announced/

At the Chiang Mai Sustainable Urban Transport Conference on June 5, a new policy was announced that will reorganise songtaews around the city. All songtaews must now be re-registered as commercial cars (Car 30), all existing standard routes will be removed and they will be limited to staying within the second ring road.

All songtaews will now be free to drive anywhere in the city and must not charge more than 30 baht per person. If the songtaew is hired privately, the price should not exceed 200 baht and the driver must not pick up any other passengers during that trip.

Edited by Ruffian Dick

The exact same thing happened in Pattaya 2 months ago , a female property agent with a Chinese customer was stopped by the taxi mafia.  And guess what , it was reported to the police and the taxi drivers had to pay a fine!    

On 6/3/2017 at 11:45 AM, the guest said:

Uber is illegal, and so the taxi drivers have a right to defend their jobs, but in accordance to the law of course.

They could try defending their jobs by providing better service.

3 hours ago, YetAnother said:

agreed; how does the land dept get involved in this ?

I think perhaps the poster meant the Dept of Land Transport which does involve all vehicle used on the public roads.