Is there a big drop in number of foreigners living in Chiang Mai

mjakob007

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Was going to agree word for word about being more spread out but then .. wait.. what?  Less user friendly?  Do you know remember the days when a phone call to Bangkok was 10 Baht a minute, and getting a phone line in the first place could mean multiple years waiting?  Or getting Western groceries: better be able to find it at Kasem Store.  English language movies were difficult.. Western food nowhere near today's quality. (Same with just about anything else: coffee (LOL), baked goods (hope you like S&P), etc, etc.

It was TERRIBLE!   (But we was happy.. :) )

Well, "Internet Forums" are a little 10-years-ago as a thing. Thaivisa is relatively blessed as the membership is of an age that doesn't like changing, so it's just a matter of waiting until everyone dies off. :)

I remember 30B/min

On 6/4/2017 at 10:54 PM, anto said:

My experience living here in the Suburbs of Chiang mai for the last 8 years is that yes there has been a mass migration of Farangs out of here .A lot of young English teachers especially .Also retirees if the nearly always empty number one bar in town is anything to go by .It used to be full of Aussie old times daily in the past .

what is the reason?

We planning to do job here so after PhD how much salary in the field of IT as lecturer in unversity?

12 hours ago, rogeroc said:

That simply is not the point i could not care less about getting a Visa to Oz if i am looking to live in SE Asia. .But if P'pinnes / Cambodia/ Vietnam etc  is less bearocratic / less stupid / less hostile / not a military dictatorship then that will have an influence. I can get Visa extensions in P'pinnes by walking into a travel agent every 2 months, handing over my passport and give a signature.

You are simply missing the point I was making.I'm talking about the ease of getting a visa to live in S E Asia compared with getting one going the other way,get it ?

Of course i got your point and i don't doubt you but this thread is about westerners leaving Thailand. From other threads on the forum and from people i know the difficulties of the immigration system (whether worse or no worse than Australis or Shenghen) are a factor in them deciding to locate elsewhere.

9 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

No safety in the Phil's......Dirty, dirty place filled with desperate people....

Sure point taken but if you did come into town (CM) more often during the evening i think you would see it could easily fit your  description of the P'pinnes.

21 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Well, "Internet Forums" are a little 10-years-ago as a thing. Thaivisa is relatively blessed as the membership is of an age that doesn't like changing, so it's just a matter of waiting until everyone dies off. :)

Good point as usual and funny.

It may be that the old farts, besides dying off, are finally growing tired of posting the same thing over and over, year after year. And perhaps down underneath they've realized that the longed-for DOOM just ain't gonna happen, so they've given up prophesying. Noobs, who can't compare everything to the old days and accept typical Third World inconveniences such as broken pavements or overhanging signs, are largely confining themselves to parroting Money Number One, chanting the received chants with the mighty TVF Tea Money Chorus, and, as renters, obsessing about the CONDO GLUT with continual bewilderment, foreboding, sour grapes, and scaremongering.

3 hours ago, rogeroc said:

Sure point taken but if you did come into town (CM) more often during the evening i think you would see it could easily fit your  description of the P'pinnes.

Nope - have spent extensive time in the Phil's ......

On ‎05‎.‎06‎.‎2017 at 3:31 PM, EricTh said:

NancyL is moving to Malaysia. I wonder who else are considering to do so.

Wonder where? I went to Penang couple of years ago to do visa run and it was horrible. I'd never live there. Also very expensive in comparison to LOS.

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Wonder where? I went to Penang couple of years ago to do visa run and it was horrible. I'd never live there. Also very expensive in comparison to LOS.

Most probably East Malaysia in Borneo island where things are cheaper and there are less Muslims.

Penang was predominantly ethnic Chinese in the past but are now becoming more Muslims due to migration from Malays from other parts of Malaysia. 

Edited by EricTh

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes.  I some Muslim friends who live in Penang.  The drive up to visit me each year for a "cheap" holiday.

Edited by fatdrunkandstupid

On 04/06/2017 at 9:54 PM, anto said:

My experience living here in the Suburbs of Chiang mai for the last 8 years is that yes there has been a mass migration of Farangs out of here .A lot of young English teachers especially .Also retirees if the nearly always empty number one bar in town is anything to go by .It used to be full of Aussie old times daily in the past .

Yet the capacity of international schools keeps increasing due to demand.

On 6/4/2017 at 10:44 PM, worgeordie said:

Farangs are been replaced by Chinese,Koreans,and other Asians,not so much

as retirees ,but to operate businesses.

Condominiums,are sprouting up like mushrooms,far exceeding demand , I think,

unless they are building them,in the hope that Bangkok will sink faster than anticipated ,

and that the population will have to move to the higher ground of Chiang  Mai.

If the number of Farangs posting on ThaiVisa is anything to go by ,then I would say 

there are a lot less Farangs here.

regards worgeordie

The decline in the number of farangs posting on TV has nothing to do with the number of people living here. It is far more a sad reflection of what this forum has become. Most people do not waste their time with it.