Hunt on for farang showman "flouting the Thai driving law"

webfact

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, impulse said:

I often see scooters with sidecars and no plates at all, so I've assumed the sidecars made the plates useless, since the scooter is illegal in that configuration anyway.

Or was I wrong?  (It happens)

I personally used to drive Honda Wave with sidecar AND number plate on the bike. In Trat, in Bangkok, inter-city in Thailand, at least three times crossed in such configuration into Cambodia and drove inside Cambodia, inter-city and locally (Koh Kong, Battambang, Siem Reap, Phnom Penh). Never had any issue whether it was legal or not. 

Yawn.........this is the 'normal' driving norm here in Phuket,mwhat's all the excitement about ? Anyway, salaeng are classified as illegally modified vehicles, but the police condones them, eventhough they take up as much space as a car, only pay the motorbike tax rate, and contribute hugely to traffic jams. Happy Sunday !

5 hours ago, webfact said:

They said that many suggested that the foreigner was probably a person who had been in Thailand a long time and thought he could just flout the law without getting into trouble.

Heaven forbid. I wonder what could have put that idea in his mind?

In all of the years I lived on Samui, I never once heard of the toy police issuing a summons or any sort of penalty, for reckless driving. It was simply unheard of. The level of recklessness on that island is astonishing, and no doubt contributes to a record number of deaths on the roads. So, for these people to even talk about reporting him to the police is amusing at best, and completely ridiculous and naive at worst. The police there have zero interest in traffic and public safety. Their level of incompetence and indifference is legendary. They will continue to do nothing. 

Edited by spidermike007

4 hours ago, robblok said:

If Thais do it its wrong, if foreigners do it its wrong too.. now they are going after the foreigner.. good for them at least some get brought to justice. Now next time the Thais.. just because Thais do something does not make it right for others to do. They are all wrong and should all be brought to justice. However that they don't do that with the Thais does not excuse the foreigner. 

So it's ok for Thais to have 4 on a bike, or young girls riding at 50kms hr with no helmet & on her mobile, or 12 old kids riding around, or the fools that continuously ride on the wrong side of the road. Also not forgetting the youngsters who never get stopped at a checkpoint for no helmet or tax coz they know they won't get any money off them & that it could be a bibs kid.

Seems like one rule for us & none for them. 

It's illegal to fit a sidecar on a motorcycle here unless you are handicapped and the land transportation will give the person the okay to use it.

So the insurance will not pay (unless above) if the shit hit the fan and the sidecar bike rider will normally be at fault since it's non road legal vehicle.

Many locals here uses the sidecars for small mobile kitchens or whatever they can think of and the police normally leaves them alone.

Yes funny how that video in the OP could upset so many Thais with app 15.000 persons killed on motorbikes here every year.  

Thais maybe jealous?.

What a joke. I see probably 10kids a day popping wheelies out the front of my kids school daily with no helmets through a mass of kids and stalls, etc.

Yes,  im also guilty as charged. I stand up with no hands on the bars at ridiculous speeds when my ass gets sore, wheelie all day long, endo to the lights and slow dips, drift corners and drag off every set of lights and even dropped the clutch countless times from the bib and smoke the rear wheel to 300+km like a real idiot. Im an old guy that never grew up with some big toys and am building my own motocross track as the local tracks too small.

All i can say is atleast hes doing what he loves. I understand completely and am aware of all the risks associated and been riding in all forms of competition since 8yrs of age.

That said I will "never" turn without indicatiing, take mirrors off, overload, not maintain bikes, not where helmets, etc, etc. I think thais need to take a look at themselves. Some people can ride.

Still i have never seen a dead body on a track or road in a western country but seen everything from severed limbs to brains scattered across the road.

This story is a little "pot calling the kettle black"

I also think stupid behavior on the road is wrong but what are you guna do...

So it's ok for Thais to have 4 on a bike, or young girls riding at 50kms hr with no helmet & on her mobile, or 12 old kids riding around, or the fools that continuously ride on the wrong side of the road. Also not forgetting the youngsters who never get stopped at a checkpoint for no helmet or tax coz they know they won't get any money off them & that it could be a bibs kid.
Seems like one rule for us & none for them. 

Its wrong for all. But 2 wrongs don't make a right. I feel they are all wrong.

I dont feel that everyone should get off free. Even if it means that some foreigners get fines.

Memo to the "farang showman" - Don't worry, the cops cannot get the Red Bull heir cop killer! :post-4641-1156693976:

But, then again, you're 'low hanging fruit' so maybe they will get you because they can't catch other offenders higher up the connected/powerful/rich/ within their feudal hierarchy :sad: 

I guess that lifting the sidecar wheel can happen if you are taking a sudden evasive action? :whistling:

My eyesight not all that great but is he wearing a helmet?

Edited by lvr181
Additional comment

7 hours ago, peterpaintpot said:

That's amazing " a majority of Thais thought that it was highly inappropriate driving". That statement is more surprising than the driving, or is the problem that he was a phalang and only Thais are allowed to drive inappropriately!

The Thai's could teach him a few moves! He's a beginner....555    

of all amazingly stupid things I've read in this forum , that headline has to be the non plus ultra .

thai driving law ? the one where everybody who's getting in a car immediately forgets how it is to take care of their surroundings ? or the one where everybody on a motorbike has a death wish and doesn't give a crap if their reckless uncontrolled excuse for operating a vehicle on two wheels puts everybody around them in immediate danger ?

or the one so similar to the Thai gun law ?