Trump renews criticism of London Mayor Khan over attack

webfact

Trump renews criticism of London Mayor Khan over attack

By Estelle Shirbon

r1.jpg

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan visits the scene of the attack on London Bridge and Borough Market which left 7 people dead and dozens of injured in central London, Britain, June 5, 2017. REUTERS/Clodagh Kilcoyne TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY

LONDON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump once again criticised London Mayor Sadiq Khan on Monday over his response to a deadly attack on the city, while the British public and politicians lauded the mayor for his handling of the aftermath.

Trump accused Khan of making a "pathetic excuse" over his statement urging Londoners not to be alarmed by the presence of additional police on the streets in response to the attack.

But British Prime Minister Theresa May said Khan was doing a "good job", echoing public sentiment across London.

Three jihadis drove a van into pedestrians on London Bridge on Saturday night before running into the bustling Borough Market area where they slit people's throats and stabbed them indiscriminately. Police shot dead all three attackers.

Khan had said on Sunday morning that people would see an increased police presence on the streets of the capital and should not be alarmed by that.

Trump mocked Khan's comment on Sunday, suggesting in a tweet that the mayor was downplaying the attacks. A spokesman for Khan responded that the mayor "has more important things to do than respond to Donald Trump's ill-informed tweet that deliberately takes out of context" his remarks.

Trump's comments drew widespread scorn in Britain but the U.S. leader went on the attack again on Monday, saying in a tweet: "Pathetic excuse by London Mayor Sadiq Khan who had to think fast on his 'no reason to be alarmed' statement. MSM is working hard to sell it!" Trump wrote. MSM referred to mainstream media.

White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said she did not think it was fair to characterise Trump's tweets as "picking a fight" with Khan, who is the first Muslim elected as London mayor.

"The point is, there is a reason to be alarmed. We have constant attacks going on, not just there but across the globe, and we have to start putting national security and global security at an all time high," she told a White House briefing.

Khan said he had been too busy dealing with the fallout from the attack to respond directly to the tweet.

Khan, who belongs to the opposition Labour Party, is popular in London and his response to Saturday's killings has been widely praised as dignified.

Prime Minister May, the Conservative Party leader, was asked earlier on Monday about Trump's criticism of Khan.

"I think Sadiq Khan is doing a good job and it is wrong to say anything else," she said.

Khan's statement on Sunday morning condemned the attack and gave a number of details about what had happened and what measures were being taken in response.

"Londoners will see an increased police presence today and over the course of the next few days. No reason to be alarmed. One of the things the police, all of us need to do is make sure we're as safe as we possibly can be," Khan said.

NOT THE FIRST CLASH

In his Sunday tweet, Trump commented: "At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is 'no reason to be alarmed!'"

It was met with a barrage of criticism in both Britain and the United States, with former Vice President Al Gore among many public figures who accused Trump of misrepresenting what Khan had said.

A YouGov poll of 1,000 Londoners published on Monday found that Khan was more trusted than both May and national Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn to make the right decisions about keeping Britain safe from terrorism.

"My focus from Saturday night has been working with the police the emergency services and the government to deal with the horrific attack on Saturday," Khan told Sky News, when asked about Trump's latest tweet.

"I just haven't got time to respond to tweets from Donald Trump. I've got better and more important things to focus on."

The two men have history. During the U.S. presidential election campaign, Khan was among many people who spoke out against Trump's proposed ban on Muslims entering the United States, an idea he said would play into the hands of extremists.

During a visit to Chicago in September last year, Khan endorsed Trump's opponent Hillary Clinton.

In March, after an attack by an Islamic militant that left five people dead in Westminster, central London, Trump's son Donald Trump Jr. issued a tweet that criticised Khan.

Trump Jr. wrote "You have got to be kidding me?!" above a link to an article reporting comments Khan had made months earlier.

In the article, Khan was reported as saying that being prepared for terror attacks was "part and parcel" of living in a major city.

(Additional reporting by Kate Holton, Kylie MacLellan, David Milliken, Timothy Ahmann and Dave McKinney; Writing by Estelle Shirbon and Alistair Smout; Editing by Mark Trevelyan)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-06-06

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Par for the course for the golf cart president. 

No class. So crass.

“I think it’s also extremely embarrassing as Americans that our president is engaged in a Twitter war with the mayor of a city in a sovereign country,” Webb said. “It’s shameful that we’ve reinforced a bully personality. . . . We have someone who is unhinged.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trumps-fight-with-london-mayor-baffles-his-critics/2017/06/05/c7a1a9e2-4a09-11e7-9669-250d0b15f83b_story.html

Gee if you have a major that is from a culture where violence and murder in mass is part of life sure he will say get used to it my people have lived with it for generations now you guys will get used to it because I have the power to see it through.

What do you expect from the Donald, the man who never shirks from kicking someone when they are down. Just when your city (London) has been on the receiving end of a terrorist hit will be when the Donald will move in with his uninformed comments that are intended to undermine. Just because the mayor voiced his concerns with just one of the Donald's so-called policies.

But then the Donald is now leading the USA into a whole new category, that contains really only one other country, Syria, the category of those who are not part of the Paris Agreement on Climate Change (Yes, Nicaragua never joined because they believed the Paris agreement never went far enough but the USA wants out because they believe it goes too far).

It would be truly horrifying if the man had some emotional intelligence - imagine how his own people feel when he claims to adhere to one policy and then does not tell even his own people when he changes it! I wonder how that feels!!

But lets just watch what happens - when the former FBI chief tells all in front of the select committee. And when the investigators at the FBI get their teeth into the Russian connections . . . 

Every time this buffoon opens his mouth, my revulsion for him grows stronger. He made a series of awful tweets yesterday and rather than acknowledge an error, compounds it by unleashing a further bout of stupidity again. If he is ever stupid enough to visit Britain I can see the reception will be extremely hostile. British people do not like stupid, foul mouthed retarded idiots, especially ones that can talk such rubbish, when people are dead.

10 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Every time this buffoon opens his mouth, my revulsion for him grows stronger. He made a series of awful tweets yesterday and rather than acknowledge an error, compounds it by unleashing a further bout of stupidity again. If he is ever stupid enough to visit Britain I can see the reception will be extremely hostile. British people do not like stupid, foul mouthed retarded idiots, especially ones that can talk such rubbish, when people are dead.

I hope he visits.

The contrast to his visit to Saudi Arabia would be striking.

He loves autocratic dictatorships but has a big problem with democracies. 

What did Americans do to deserve this? Oh, never mind, they sort of voted him in.

Trump is out of control

What rational head of state attacks the mayor of a city that has just been hit by terrorists? 

We already knew that Trump had a narrow mind and a small heart. Now we must wonder about his emotional stability, his grasp of reality, or both.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-is-out-of-control/2017/06/05/9665c9a4-4a21-11e7-9669-250d0b15f83b_story.html

Edited by Jingthing

12 minutes ago, NCFC said:

Londoners are not alarmed by an increased police prescence. They are alarmed that ISIS terrorists are able to live among them.

They are also alarmed at a possible Trump visit. He is an idiot and we certainly don't need any more idiots at a time like this. An embarrassment to all Americans and someone whose temperament is that of a 12 year old. 

Just shameful to hijack a horrendous incident for your own purpose. Trump has proven without a doubt to be a truly classless individual. I am glad Ivanka and Jared are providing that great positive influence in their high powered roles in government. The whole family is a farce.

1 hour ago, lovelomsak said:

Gee if you have a major that is from a culture where violence and murder in mass is part of life sure he will say get used to it my people have lived with it for generations now you guys will get used to it because I have the power to see it through.

Does South London have a culture of violence and murder? I believe the Mayor was born there.

edit edit edit

Oops! Geriatrickid...GMTA

Edited by mamypoko

1 hour ago, lovelomsak said:

Truly an ignorant and a hateful statement.

Are you aware that the  Mayor is a UK national born in South London. He was a human rights lawyer before serving as an MP and then as a cabinet minister in HM Government. Are you aware that people like him are targeted by ISIL and that he  is more likely to be assassinated  by extremists of both the left and the right because of his beliefs? He's the last person an Islamic  extremist wants around.

Who gives a crap what Hopkins says. She is just a media whore that says horrible things for money.

When Fox News have to apologise for your views maybe its time to consider if your views have gone from extreme to wacko.

https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2017/06/04/fox-contributor-and-fox-guest-float-internment-after-london-attack-network-later-apologizes/216776

There was a time not so long ago when Trump supporters gave a reasonable, thought out explanation for their support. The only ones left now appear to be trolls.

21 minutes ago, Orac said:

When Fox News have to apologise for your views maybe its time to consider if your views have gone from extreme to wacko.

https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2017/06/04/fox-contributor-and-fox-guest-float-internment-after-london-attack-network-later-apologizes/216776

But you see I don't even think she even believes in half of what she says. Before she was sacked, a couple of her colleagues on LBC were saying the same, that she is just an act.

Edited by baboon

I agree  with Trump - Khan's response was pathetic. Londoners need not be alarmed at the increasing police numbers on their streets, but they have every reason to be concerned with the reason for the police presence - and that is the increasing number of terrorist attacks targeting ordinary people. 

3 minutes ago, roderick17 said:

Baboon 

I reckon she believes every word that she speaks on radical Islam - as do the increasing number of people who realize that something must be done about terror and its clear and direct link to Islam  

Like a "final solution"?

What did Americans do to deserve this? Oh, never mind, they sort of voted him in.

Trump is out of control
What rational head of state attacks the mayor of a city that has just been hit by terrorists? 

We already knew that Trump had a narrow mind and a small heart. Now we must wonder about his emotional stability, his grasp of reality, or both.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-is-out-of-control/2017/06/05/9665c9a4-4a21-11e7-9669-250d0b15f83b_story.html

Did they vote him in ?. Shear desperation to get rid of the last Clown , and Donald seemed best of a bad lot.?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

33 minutes ago, baboon said:

Who gives a crap what Hopkins says. She is just a media whore that says horrible things for money.

Also she trolled the wrong person on Twitter failed to apologize when everyone pointed out it was the wrong journalist was surd in high court. Just as you say a foul mouth ugly bint

1 minute ago, geriatrickid said:

The slippery slope you are on has become more slippery as it is soaked with the snake oil your are spraying now.

Geriatric  And what snake oil  is that  ? My last comment was that radical  Islam  is a threat and something - I am not sure what - needs to be done about it .  I do know though that the time for lighting candles I think is now well and truly over !