Brit orders final drink - then jumps from seventh floor of Bangkok hotel restaurant

webfact

5 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Why would there need to be reports in the media of peeps seeing him jumping or photo showing peeps gawking? By the time reporters arrived there to do their photos/vids reporting, those initial peeps that saw the incident would be long-gone with some nasty memories stuck in their minds. Just like you said, those 2 peeps "may have well come after he jumped".

Unless you have proof that the street was busy with pedestrians (including little kids) you are just talking rubbish. BTW, the Thais aren't easily upset by gory scenes, they flock to a motor accident like moths to a flame, camera phones at the ready, so please, no one would have gone home traumatised, even if there were witnesses.

Edited by giddyup

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Do you think someone with a terminal illness in constant chronic pain should "just deal with it, be a man"?

How do you know that this man who jumped in Bangkok had a terminal illness?   

18 minutes ago, Dipterocarp said:

48 minutes ago, sujoop said:

Have posted TWICE about this already after reading 2 other news stories in Thai press which stated:

He was VISITING
His daughter lives and works in Bkk
He left instructions on leaving his money to loved ones

He had contemplated an exit for some time due to health

Again, as his Daughter who lives here may be looking in, could the usual ThaiVisa muppet posters kindly refrain from crass/thoughtless comments? Sincere condolences and heartfelt thoughts to his grieving daughter.

Did he recon with somebody via mobile  on the ground to spot his landing? 

Could have killed a passerby. 

It was not a street. It was the side-driveway of the Westin Sukhumvit which is thankfully not used much by foot traffic and in this case obviously vacant. Also as a chair was found next to the railing the deceased likely looked to ensure it was clear below before exiting. Enough already.

Edited by sujoop

Most jumpers are desperate , if you have a terminal illness , there are 100 other ways to end your life without doing it in public .  Yes I think he was selfish for doing it this way. 

10 minutes ago, balo said:

How do you know that this man who jumped in Bangkok had a terminal illness?   

Maybe he has proof? You know the saying "Unless you have proof....." :post-4641-1156694572:

Edited by bbi1

7 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Maybe he has proof? You know the saying "Unless you have proof....." :post-4641-1156694572:

Show me where I said he had a terminal disease. When I mentioned a "terminal disease I was responding to another poster who seemed to think that suicide was a selfish act, and I responded by saying that it was easy said if you don't have a terminal disease. Get it? So shot down in flames again.

Edited by giddyup

9 minutes ago, sujoop said:

It was not a street. It was the side-driveway of the Westin Sukhumvit which is thankfully not used much by foot traffic and in this case obviously vacant. Also as a chair was found next to the railing the deceased likely looked to ensure it was clear below before exiting. Enough already.

Ah, that hotel, The Westin on the corner of Sukhimvit 19. Yep, definitely has no foot traffic around that "not busy" corner with traffic jams and Terminal 21 shopping centre just opposite :)

Edited by bbi1

On 6/6/2017 at 11:00 AM, funandsuninbangkok said:

Don't these aholes understand that there are people walking below who they could land on?

also, what about kids who maybe around to see them splat?

Why do you assume he didn't look before he jumped? He planned it quite well, so I'm sure he took that into account too. 7 floors would only take a few seconds, so it wouldn't be hard to avoid pedestrians.

14 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Easy to talk and criticise.

So terribly, terribly tragic. We don`t know what is going through people`s minds and what problems they may have. I guess sometimes there are people who cannot see any light at the end of the tunnel and all seems hopeless. It can happen to any of us, no one is immune and then decide to take a quick way out on the spur of the moment.

Poor old chap, that`s all I can say.

post removed.  Change of heart.

Edited by The Deerhunter

My comment below is on the general issue of assisted suicide as discussed here -- not on the specifics of the man who jumped in the OP news:

For the last many years of her life, my mother had a chronic, incurable but non-fatal debilitating illness.

She couldn't walk, couldn't stand, couldn't get in or out of bed on her own, couldn't control her own bowel movements, sometimes couldn't eat or swallow well, it likewise affected her mind and even her ability to talk. For the last many years of her life, she couldn't do much more than lay in bed and sleep, or sit in a chair and watch TV.  Sometimes she was in considerable pain. Obviously, required expensive 24-hour caretaker care in addition to what my family could provide.

I pray to God I never find myself in that situation. But if I ever did, I'm not sure I'd want to hang around and have that be my life for years and years on end. Not to mention creating a tremendous emotional and financial burden on my family.  I'm talking about years and years of burden here. Think about it. I'd never say someone choosing to end their life faced with that kind of life is taking a coward's way out, as some here have called it.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 minutes ago, tropo said:

Why do you assume he didn't look before he jumped? He planned it quite well, so I'm sure he took that into account too. 7 floors would only take a few seconds, so it wouldn't be hard to avoid pedestrians.

Because it's very difficult to comprehend that someone would have the calmness and the foresight to do that. Most of us find the whole idea of jumping incomprehensible. I'm completely mystified by it , although not a denier of the right to suicide. 

6 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Ah, that hotel, The Westin on the corner of Sukhimvit 19. Yep, definitely has no foot traffic around that "not busy" corner with traffic jams and Terminal 21 shopping centre just opposite :)

Didn't you read what was said. It was in a side alley with no pedestrian traffic. Maybe you should start reading posts instead of trying to twist facts to suit your own agenda.

8 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

I thought it looked like The Westin. That restaurant on the lobby level ( 7 or 8), used to do a nice buffet lunch with some light jazz, although I've not been there in a while. That's quite a busy little entrance, from Robinsons/Tops up to the lower level lobby.

1 minute ago, Prbkk said:

I thought it looked like The Westin. That restaurant on the lobby level ( 7 or 8), used to do a nice buffet lunch with some light jazz, although I've not been there in a while. That's quite a busy little entrance, from Robinsons/Tops up to the lower level lobby.

He didn't jump at the entrance.

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Didn't you read what was said. It was in a side alley with no pedestrian traffic. Maybe you should start reading posts instead of trying to twist facts to suit your own agenda.

There is no side alley. There's Sukhumvit Rd and Soi 19, unless you consider Soi 19 as a "side alley". The pic where the body was is the driveway of The Westin Grande Sukhimvit which starts from Sukhumvit Rd and comes around to Soi 19. Lots of peeps can easily see the driveway of that hotel. The driveway is where you see all these expensive cars like Mercs, Ferraris & other luxury cars parked on the right side of the driveway.

Edited by bbi1

4 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

It sure is a very busy entrance. Not many peeps walk on the driveway of the hotel, but lots of peeps on the streets. Terminal 21 & Robinson just right there.

Just now, bbi1 said:

There is no side alley. There's Sukhumvit Rd and Soi 19, unless you consider Soi 19 as a "side alley". The pic where the body was is the driveway of The Westin Grande Sukhimvit which starts from Sukhumvit Rd and comes around to Soi 19. Lots of peeps can easily see the driveway of that hotel.

Jeez, you and the peeps, what are you 15? So there were a whole bunch of people standing at the entrance to that driveway on the off chance that someone would jump? You know how silly you sound?

25 minutes ago, sujoop said:
1 hour ago, sujoop said:

Have posted TWICE about this already after reading 2 other news stories in Thai press which stated:

He was VISITING

Again, as his Daughter who lives here may be looking in, could the usual ThaiVisa muppet posters kindly refrain from crass/thoughtless comments? Sincere condolences and heartfelt thoughts to his grieving daughter.

16 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

25 minutes ago, sujoop said:

The side driveway to the Westin is not a busy street and not a common pathway for foot traffic, rather a driveway used by taxis etc drop-off/pickup at front (not the quiet side driveway where the Gent took his exit) and main driveway is also cordoned off from Sukhumvit McDonlads entrance. Suffice to say it is likely the gent had a look as a chair was found placed against the railing. Last, if one ever finds oneself mired by health issues and clouded by the grips of depression (and quite possibly further clouded by alcohol etc) and decides to end it, that somehow one also has the complete clarity and presence of mind (!?) to not do so in a public area. Enough now?

4 minutes ago, sujoop said:

The side driveway to the Westin is not a busy street and not a common pathway for foot traffic, rather a driveway used by taxis etc drop-off/pickup at front (not the quiet side driveway where the Gent took his exit) and main driveway is also cordoned off from Sukhumvit McDonlads entrance. Suffice to say it is likely the gent had a look as a chair was found placed against the railing. Last, if one ever finds oneself mired by health issues and clouded by the grips of depression (and quite possibly further clouded by alcohol etc) and decides to end it, that somehow one also has the complete clarity and presence of mind (!?) to not do so in a public area. Enough now?

Unfortunately, no matter how many times it's spelled out, people (not peeps) like bbi1 will still believe there was a large crowd including many traumatised children watching him fall.

4 minutes ago, sujoop said:

No doubt the man was distressed. However, If he had the clarity and foresight to look below for foot traffic, perhaps he might have stopped to consider the impact on staff and guests. EG, the staff at the lower level are youngsters, many of them girls; this is a family hotel with a large number of Japanese and Taiwanese guests, often with children. Just how traumatic for anyone witnessing this tragedy.

sure...maybe he was beyond rational. 

4 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

No doubt the man was distressed. However, If he had the clarity and foresight to look below for foot traffic, perhaps he might have stopped to consider the impact on staff and guests. EG, the staff at the lower level are youngsters, many of them girls; this is a family hotel with a large number of Japanese and Taiwanese guests, often with children. Just how traumatic for anyone witnessing this tragedy.

As i pointed out earlier, Thais aren't easily traumatised. No matter how gory the accident there will always be a crowd of rubberneckers, including young children, so that argument doesn't hold much water. As far as guests go, like any traumatic event, it's the parents responsibility to protect their children, no different than if there'd been a car accident out front.

Edited by giddyup

31 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Jeez, you and the peeps, what are you 15? So there were a whole bunch of people standing at the entrance to that driveway on the off chance that someone would jump? You know how silly you sound?

Didn't say they were chilling on the driveway at the front of the hotel. Lots of homies and home girls on the move on all the time on the pavement of Sukhumvit Rd and Soi 19. Possibly those annoying "survey" girls standing at the entrance to the stairs up to the BTS walkway in front of the hotel. Asoke is my crib. Seems you don't know that area well.

Not to mention the 1st post article said "Andrew Frank Browning was found below out front of the hotel with a broken neck and dislocated limbs. He was dressed all in black."

Edited by bbi1

40 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

Because it's very difficult to comprehend that someone would have the calmness and the foresight to do that. Most of us find the whole idea of jumping incomprehensible. I'm completely mystified by it , although not a denier of the right to suicide. 

My reply wasn't to you. The person I was replying to called him an *hole because he could have killed someone below.

I don't find it difficult to comprehend. You don't know what the guy has been going through and the extent of his medical condition. For example, he could have aggressive cancer giving him weeks or months to live... in pain.

57 minutes ago, sujoop said:

1 hour ago, sujoop said:
1 hour ago, sujoop said:

He was VISITING

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

1 hour ago, sujoop said:

47 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

57 minutes ago, sujoop said:

Perhaps his grieving Daughter (who lives and works here, thus is likely looking in) may read your comment, then go scold her father graveside for not possessing such presumed standards of clarity (in the midst of taking his life) and then post a thank you note... Also for the many, many, other 'helpful' posthumous  comments by ever thoughtful and compassionate (sanctimonious vultures) ThaiVisa regulars...

5 minutes ago, sujoop said:

Perhaps his grieving Daughter (who lives and works here, thus is likely looking in) may read your comment, then go scold her father graveside for not possessing such presumed standards of clarity (in the midst of taking his life) and then post a thank you note... Also for the many, many, other 'helpful' posthumous  comments by ever thoughtful and compassionate (sanctimonious vultures) ThaiVisa regulars...

Borderline hysterical ranting and raving doesn't add much to the discussion.

1 hour ago, sujoop said:
  1 hour ago, Prbkk said:

2 hours ago, sujoop said:

1 hour ago, Prbkk said:
1 hour ago, sujoop said:

Borderline hysterical ranting and raving doesn't add much to the discussion.

Oh for goodness sakes... (literally). A plea for respectful thoughts for the deceased daughter's sake (who lives here and may be reading this thread) is rebutted by shamefully deflective claims of 'hysterical ranting and raving'... (welcome to ThaiVisa). Again, sincere condolences and heartfelt thoughts to the grieving daughter in Bangkok and may she gracefully never read this thread.