Red plate when buying a new car

Hi and thanks for help in advance.

My question is about buying a new car.

I will buy a new car from BKK dealership, and will drive this car to where I live - in Chiang Mai.

What is the best procedure with the registration ?

BKK dealership asked me to pay 3000 baht for a red plates, and 1000 baht for some tax. Anyone is familiar with that ?

So if I drive on a red plates to Chiang Mai, then I just go to register it in Chiang Mai Transport office to get white plates ?

You will get your 3k back on return of the plates, they belong to the dealer, not you.

To be honest I have forgotten the rules, hope some one will come along to say if l am wrong.

You can only drive in the province you bought it in daylight and fill in a book they give you logging your travels. You can use the plates for 30 days only, after that a ticket...

• Like 2

The dealer normally does the registration. Then changes the red plates when new ones arrive. The 3000bt is a deposit I paid 4000 you get that back once the red plates are returned. Or on change over.

Normally you would have obtained you new plates from BKK. Then change to local one later.

Better have a word with your dealer to see what he suggests. Or you could find yourself having to pop back to BKK some 1.400km round trip to sort things out.

Don't know anything about the 30 rule I had to wait nearly 3 months till I got my normal plates on my vigo when I brought it some 11 years ago. 4 weeks on the Spivo. 8 years ago.

Edited by fredob43

3 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

The dealer normally does the registration. Then changes the red plates when new ones arrive. The 3000bt is a deposit I paid 4000 you get that back once the red plates are returned. Or on change over.

Normally you would have obtained you new plates from BKK. Then change to local one later.

Better have a word with your dealer to see what he suggests. Or you could find yourself having to pop back to BKK some 1.400km round trip to sort things out.

Yeah, but I am trying to avoid registration fees 2 times. I don't want to pay registration fees in BKK to get BKK plates, and then do the same things in Chiang Mai.
Also, where to return red plates and get deposit back ? To Transport Office or to Dealer ?

2 minutes ago, baywatch82 said:

Yeah, but I am trying to avoid registration fees 2 times. I don't want to pay registration fees in BKK to get BKK plates, and then do the same things in Chiang Mai.
Also, where to return red plates and get deposit back ? To Transport Office or to Dealer ?

They belong to the dealer.....

4 minutes ago, baywatch82 said:

Last bit first Dealer if you want you monies. You can of cause use your BKK plates in C/M only a problem when you sell it.

I did have to pay for the new plates on my Spivo as I brought it out of province. Sorry cant remember how much they cost. Just asked the G/L and she said a couple of thousand. The last bits from a Thai so I wont stand by how correct that is. Not a lot anyway.

Edited by fredob43

41 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Last bit first Dealer if you want you monies. You can of cause use your BKK plates in C/M only a problem when you sell it.

I did have to pay for the new plates on my Spivo as I brought it out of province. Sorry cant remember how much they cost. Just asked the G/L and she said a couple of thousand. The last bits from a Thai so I wont stand by how correct that is. Not a lot anyway.

Just had a thought. The price you paid the dealer would have included the registration and new plates so you will have to pay twice anyway. One of the disadvantages of buying out of Province. As I said have a word with him.

4 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Just had a thought. The price you paid the dealer would have included the registration and new plates so you will have to pay twice anyway. One of the disadvantages of buying out of Province. As I said have a word with him.

I was trying to buy in Chiang Mai, but here I would get a car in August.
In BKK I can have it end of June. In both cases, registration fees were excluded from the car price.

5 hours ago, baywatch82 said:

I was trying to buy in Chiang Mai, but here I would get a car in August.
In BKK I can have it end of June. In both cases, registration fees were excluded from the car price.

Many Thais drive with no plates. Due mainly to the seller not having any available. Have had friends have to wait in the past a few weeks to get their red one and they still drive, without a problem.

Just tell the seller you don't want the red ones. Or take them and return with the book by registered post. He can stick your deposit in your bank if you give him your details. You might have to give him the 30bt he'll have to pay the bank, and pay for the post your end. They even pack things like that in box's at the post office. Best of luck.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

Are you purchasing the vehicle in your own name and if so, what are using as proof of address, work permit or a residence letter from immigration or your Embassy?

If you are paying cash for the vehicle, with no finance, then the rules now mean that the vehicle must be registered in the province you reside in, so if you live in CM, then the vehicle needs to be registered at CM DLT.

So, unless the dealer is going to go to CM DLT to register the car, which I would very much doubt, then I would ask the dealer in BKK to make 100% with BKK DLT that they are actually able to register the vehicle on Bangkok plates in the first place.

Edit: This is not related to the Red plates, which are temporary.

Edited by Mattd

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

Are you purchasing the vehicle in your own name and if so, what are using as proof of address, work permit or a residence letter from immigration or your Embassy?

If you are paying cash for the vehicle, with no finance, then the rules now mean that the vehicle must be registered in the province you reside in, so if you live in CM, then the vehicle needs to be registered at CM DLT.

So, unless the dealer is going to go to CM DLT to register the car, which I would very much doubt, then I would ask the dealer in BKK to make 100% with BKK DLT that they are actually able to register the vehicle on Bangkok plates in the first place.

Edit: This is not related to the Red plates, which are temporary.

Hey ! 
Yes I will buy car on my name, paid by cash. I will use work permit and I also have yellow house book.
My plan is to drive on red plates to Chiang Mai, and then register this vehicle in Chiang Mai.
When I get my white plates, I will send the red plates to Dealer by post.

At least this is the plan for now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, baywatch82 said:

Hey ! 
Yes I will buy car on my name, paid by cash. I will use work permit and I also have yellow house book.
My plan is to drive on red plates to Chiang Mai, and then register this vehicle in Chiang Mai.
When I get my white plates, I will send the red plates to Dealer by post.

At least this is the plan for now.

You seem to have got yourself sorted. Hope the Lump comes quick for you.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

Thanks JAS21, that's a lot of info, all new to me.

Especially "Allowament letter" and "brown book". Never heard of that.

Yeah I was thinking about getting those colorful plates with lucky numbers, but apparently it is really expensive. On some auction record price was 25mln baht, but common prices are from 50,000 baht to 1-2 mln.

Can you tell more about that brown book ? What is it for ? Why should I rub out previous dates and put new dates ?

A word of warning regarding the use of the red plates, in theory the red plates that the dealer will use on the car will be registered in Bangkok and therefore should not be used outside of that area, most ignore this!

From what I understand, if written permission is sought and given for the use of the plate in CM province from the issuing area for the red plates, then they can be used.

Note that they are only to be legally used between 6am and 6pm, again almost universally ignored.

The brown log book is important for a few reasons, there are a lot of fake red plates out there, so the book is proof that they are genuine and that the car is not stolen, you should record each journey in this book, start time, destination and end time.

Good luck with the registering of the vehicle, IMHO the quicker that you do this the better, red plates are seen by some as a 'status' symbol, for me they are nothing but a PITA!

• Like 2

You can order the number you would like but on white plates, you have to wait for the number to be available in any particular month, if there is a wait they give you an official note to show the BiB if a prob. Back in 2009 it cost me 500bht for a single bike plate, the number was "1"......:giggle:

49 minutes ago, Mattd said:

A word of warning regarding the use of the red plates, in theory the red plates that the dealer will use on the car will be registered in Bangkok and therefore should not be used outside of that area, most ignore this!

From what I understand, if written permission is sought and given for the use of the plate in CM province from the issuing area for the red plates, then they can be used.

Note that they are only to be legally used between 6am and 6pm, again almost universally ignored.

The brown log book is important for a few reasons, there are a lot of fake red plates out there, so the book is proof that they are genuine and that the car is not stolen, you should record each journey in this book, start time, destination and end time.

Good luck with the registering of the vehicle, IMHO the quicker that you do this the better, red plates are seen by some as a 'status' symbol, for me they are nothing but a PITA!

I live in K.P.Phet some 350Km up from BKK. My new red plates are registered in BKK. That means that legally I cant use the lump. Have had 3 lots of red plates in the past and have used the Lumps all over Thailand 24/7. Haven't filled out any books ever. Never had a problem. Somewhat makes an ass of any laws here.

Edited by fredob43

32 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I live in K.P.Phet some 350Km up from BKK. My new red plates are registered in BKK. That means that legally I cant use the lump. Have had 3 lots of red plates in the past and have used the Lumps all over Thailand 24/7. Haven't filled out any books ever. Never had a problem. Somewhat makes an ass of any laws here.

Totally agree, it is a crazy system really and one that isn't really enforced (like most traffic laws) as I'm sure the police are not that interested.

The trouble is, it does give them an excuse to extract cash from folks and even more so for Farangs.

A 2 door pick up for instance should not carry any cargo in the back on red plates, of course they all do.

They really should be no reason why the cars cannot be delivered with the white plates from the outset, certainly when I was changing the plates at Chonburi DLT office there was a room with thousands of plates in it, so it isn't a shortage there!

Mostly due to laziness on behalf of the dealers, as it is much easier to get an accumulation of registrations first and also a reluctance from some owners to actually register the vehicle, so they can 'show off' with their new car!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Totally agree, it is a crazy system really and one that isn't really enforced (like most traffic laws) as I'm sure the police are not that interested.

The trouble is, it does give them an excuse to extract cash from folks and even more so for Farangs.

A 2 door pick up for instance should not carry any cargo in the back on red plates, of course they all do.

They really should be no reason why the cars cannot be delivered with the white plates from the outset, certainly when I was changing the plates at Chonburi DLT office there was a room with thousands of plates in it, so it isn't a shortage there!

Mostly due to laziness on behalf of the dealers, as it is much easier to get an accumulation of registrations first and also a reluctance from some owners to actually register the vehicle, so they can 'show off' with their new car!

Agree. My first lump Vigo took over 3 months to get new plates. Dealer??? Second two weeks so it can be done.

Buddha only knows how long I shall have to wait for them this time. Same dealer as the 3 month one.

Lump looks great except for the crappy buggered up red plates so hope it's not that long.

The 3 month one was a tad handy as I had that time after I had paid insurance till I had to ley out for tax.

Stuck in a snap that shows the BKK red plate.

IMGP0020.JPG

Edited by fredob43

1 minute ago, transam said:

Yep, wish I had the cash to buy a 2.8 Revo with auto trans, but alas it ain't going to happen....:sad:

New price of top Revo A/T is 1.139.000bt a tad pricy. Great lump all the same. I think Toyota are doing fab deals.

I saved bundles on my Spivo.

I moved from Pattaya to Issan, never change plates, had no problem re taxing the bike every year putting it through its MOT for 10 years etc, wasn't even in my name----friend left it for a short time 11 years ago..... brought my  car's in BKK  (wouldn't buy anywhere else) you can renew tax anywhere you want--doesn't have to be in your home town. If it is an expensive model car, keep the BKK plates on there--my Thai friend gets a lot of lee way in his Merc, as they are not sure quite who they are dealing with....(doesn't seem to work for farang)

*BTW Issan is a lot more lax than the cities---so maybe someone will correct.

21 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

New price of top Revo A/T is 1.139.000bt a tad pricy. Great lump all the same. I think Toyota are doing fab deals.

I saved bundles on my Spivo.

This is a "red plate procedures" subject, or at least Honda Civic Hatchback ;)

1 minute ago, baywatch82 said:

This is a "red plate procedures" subject, or at least Honda Civic Hatchback ;)

Sorry I posted. But I think you have had all the answers you need regarding red Plates.

As T/A has said it's a Motoring forum. One has to get used to peep's posting slightly off topic things.

Bought a car 23 march in Samut Prakan, still waiting for the white plates.....

This system in Thailand is completely outdated, in my home country we get the plates same day as the car rolls out from the dealer...