Mother sends kid to the market - and will never see him again

webfact

6 hours ago, berybert said:

A lorry with a trailer cannot drive close to the pavement as it needs  room to turn without riding the pavement.

If you don't drive a large vehicle you wouldn't have a clue how to drive one.

Driving properly is how you avoid an accident, if the 2nd party doesn't do the same the result will be an accident.

Driving properly includes watching the traffic and other parties that could be endangered by your vehicle - even if they behave like idiots.

And btw if your vehicles allows to drive close to the pavement when turning (and mine does) it helps avoiding accidents.

Edited by sweatalot

9 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Driving properly includes watching the traffic and other parties that could be endangered by your vehicle - even if they behave like idiots.

And btw if your vehicles allows to drive close to the pavement when turning (and mine does) it helps avoiding accidents.

Sweatalot, you may be right, but trucks, buses and vehicles alike do need space to make a turn. They can't close the gap between vehicle and sidewalk as what we tend to do with a normal car. 

17 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

Meh.

I was replying to someone who said he was not legal to ride when it seems it is possible he was, but thanks for your unsolicited spiel anyways.

And in my unsolicited spiel (?) I stated that age doesn't matter, legal or not. 

Totally unfair to blame the truck driver.

"But when he overtook a lorry he collided with the rear of the trailer that was turning"  

Seems the truck was well into it's turn so the driver would not have been able to see the bike come up behind no matter how many times he looked in his mirrors.

:sad:

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Truck-trailer driver Bunsong Thonglee, 45, said he had put on his indicators. Nong Kham police charged him with negligent driving causing death.

must be more to this; police do not know one way or another about the signal

2 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Totally unfair to blame the truck driver.

"But when he overtook a lorry he collided with the rear of the trailer that was turning"  

Seems the truck was well into it's turn so the driver would not have been able to see the bike come up behind no matter how many times he looked in his mirrors.

:sad:

Truck blamed then insurance pays "all".....:sad:

13 hours ago, james.d said:

Sorry i disagree.. any sensible driver should look behind (using all mirrors available) when when turning either left or right onto another road. 

That said, the number of times motorcyclists try to squeeze into gaps is nowadays ridiculous. The worst i see lately are these half off-road / half on-road type of bikes.

Read my post again.  I was not referring to what a defensive driver should do, but International driving laws are in agreement; a driver has no legal duty to look behind when making a left turn.  Looking in a rear view mirror  prior and while turning can also cause accidents with speeding vehicles passing in the opposite direction, people crossing the road and more.

I investigated accidents for 30 years and many fatal motorcycle accidents result from speeding bikes trying to pass a vehicle turning left and when they realize the vehicle is turning left, they are unable to brake in time, especially with inexperienced bike operators and heavy bikes like Harleys that require more distance to stop.

The mother asks her son to go to the market and he is killed on the way.

The poor boy is only 15yrs old ....   how would the poor mother feel,   it must be heartbreaking .....   very sad & tragic ......    she will never get over it.

19 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Not only in Thailand this is a major issue; in most Western countries trucks and buses are equiped with all kinds of mirrors and camera's to make the dead angle alive. 

In my homecountry, the driver is always responsible for accidents like these.

They also sometimes have a sticker on the back that says;

IF YOU CAN"T SEE MY MIRRORS I CAN"T SEE YOU 

3 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Sweatalot, you may be right, but trucks, buses and vehicles alike do need space to make a turn. They can't close the gap between vehicle and sidewalk as what we tend to do with a normal car. 

I understand this perfectly. I was talking of normal size cars - and here we have the similar problem - motorbikes can cross our way when turning and we can avoid this.

For the truck drivers it means they have to watch their mirrors carefully before and when turning - indicating is not enough.

2 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

I understand this perfectly. I was talking of normal size cars - and here we have the similar problem - motorbikes can cross our way when turning and we can avoid this.

For the truck drivers it means they have to watch their mirrors carefully before and when turning - indicating is not enough.

I used to drive ridged heavy goods lorries, it is impossible to see all all of the time when you are committed to a turn, those behind must realise a large vehicles turning circle and take note of the signals used. In LOS NOBODY takes notice of anything on the road, that's why road fatalities here are a joke...

On 6/7/2017 at 4:42 AM, sweatalot said:

But did he look into the rear mirror?

probably never knew what it's good for

A truck with rear view mirror? 
I guess you have never driven a truck.

Once the cabin starts its turn, none of the mirrors offer any good views on what is next to the trailer(s) and drivers are usually busy watching other things while trying to make the turn. 

I feel very sorry for the loss of the family and the boy that lost his life.  

5 minutes ago, Bastos60 said:

A truck with rear view mirror? 
I guess you have never driven a truck.

Once the cabin starts its turn, none of the mirrors offer any good views on what is next to the trailer(s) and drivers are usually busy watching other things while trying to make the turn. 

I feel very sorry for the loss of the family and the boy that lost his life.  

I'm from a country where everyone from an early age is on a bicycle. When coming across a truck with its large blind spots I was taught one simple rule; When you cannot see the driver (in the truck mirror) it means he cannot see you.

3 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

I'm from a country where everyone from an early age is on a bicycle. When coming across a truck with its large blind spots I was taught one simple rule; When you cannot see the driver (in the truck mirror) it means he cannot see you.

Interesting, but we are taught to never drive next to a truck and trailer and stay behind it, overtaking only on straight roads.