Sriracha Sauce finally in Thailand!

Nampa89

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, junglechef said:

The origin of sauce was to cover the taste of food, usually rotting meat.

Thought to be first commonly used by the Romans in 200 AD

Yes, this is exact .

before there was no rotting meat,so no sauce needed.(Aristolethis)

14 hours ago, lucjoker said:

Yes, this is exact .

before there was no rotting meat,so no sauce needed.(Aristolethis)

Not sure what that means (sarcasm perhaps??)

Aristotle did say about why women's blood is thicker then a mans'

"Their coldness thickens, binds, congeals and joins it together'"

I know off-topic but definitely good TV banter for a Sunday morning :sleep:

4 hours ago, junglechef said:

Not sure what that means (sarcasm perhaps??)

Aristotle did say about why women's blood is thicker then a mans'

"Their coldness thickens, binds, congeals and joins it together'"

I know off-topic but definitely good TV banter for a Sunday morning :sleep:

only joking......Ari-stole -this ............

No excellent soul is exempt from a mixture of madness.
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/aristotle148490.html

Just bought a new to me brand of sriracha sauce at Tops.... it is called Jim Jam sriracha sauce, comes in Hot 30baht or extra hot 32baht..i opted for the extra hot and it is quite good, tastes like ...chillis oh yea.  Also saw the U.S. version there for 89.... Jim Jam tastes similar to a Mexican ranchero salsa.

2 hours ago, elektrified said:

Except that the sauce with the Rooster on the label is not Huay Fong brand, which could confuse people and end up being a major disappointment.

The bottle that says Huy Fong Sriracha sauce is the one with the rooster.  Maybe you mean the Sriracha Salsa?  Not sure if that's made under license but it's definitely a Huy Fong product.  Same for the Sriracha ketchup.

Edited by ricklev

4 hours ago, ricklev said:

The bottle that says Huy Fong Sriracha sauce is the one with the rooster.  Maybe you mean the Sriracha Salsa?  Not sure if that's made under license but it's definitely a Huy Fong product.  Same for the Sriracha ketchup.

Yes you are correct. Sorry about that. My mistake. There is one brand in Thailand that copies Huay Fong and also has a Rooster on the bottle. It tastes terrible.

Seems to me that SriRacha sauce was widely available in restaurants noodle shops when I lived in Thailand 40 years ago.  I never cared for it, preferring Prik Nam Som and dried Thai pepper.  Maybe because it was sweet?  I haven't tried the Huy Fong SriRacha, though I like their Sambal Olek and the Chili Garlic sauce.  I do think those were better back when they used Serrano peppers instead of the current jalapeño.  

Here in the U.S., I often use Valentina, a Mexican hot sauce.  Tasty, reasonably hot and cheap by the quart.  For added heat, a couple tablespoons of toasted and coarsely ground Thai pepper perks it up.  Or finely powdered Reshampatti chili from India at about 400 Baht per kilo.

I stopped in Central Chidlom on the way home today, and sure enough, they have the authentic stuff, straight out of Irwindale, CA.

5947c26b7fac7_2017-06-1918_12_46.jpg.53cbf6da4ab508314e12319d42a3fc60.jpg

But unfortunately, the folks at Chidlom were being a little sneaky today, either intentionally or unintentionally.

They had one price label for Huy Fong on the shelf showing a price of 80b, and one type of bottle right above that label, the large 17 oz. size. But that unfortunately is wrong and misleading.

The 80 baht price is for the smaller size bottle, 226ml or so, of which they had none on the shelf. And then the actual price for the 17 oz. / 482g large bottle that they did have on the shelf, but had no price tag for, is 140b.

Only discovered that once I got to the cash register.... :1zgarz5:

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I stopped in Central Chidlom on the way home today, and sure enough, they have the authentic stuff, straight out of Irwindale, CA.

5947c26b7fac7_2017-06-1918_12_46.jpg.53cbf6da4ab508314e12319d42a3fc60.jpg

But unfortunately, the folks at Chidlom were being a little sneaky today, either intentionally or unintentionally.

They had one price label for Huy Fong on the shelf showing a price of 80b, and one type of bottle right above that label, the large 17 oz. size. But that unfortunately is wrong and misleading.

The 80 baht price is for the smaller size bottle, 226ml or so, of which they had none on the shelf. And then the actual price for the 17 oz. / 482g large bottle that they did have on the shelf, but had no price tag for, is 140b.

Only discovered that once I got to the cash register.... :1zgarz5:

Hey - you got it....

It's turned into a staple at our house - even in some homemade soups/noodles....

Augments Thai cooking nicely....

I never paid attention to it (liked Wolf's but it dissappeared) until I started using it in a local CM restaurant about a year ago....Now we use it all the time.....

Edited by pgrahmm

Last time I was back in the U.S., I brought back a large stock of Tapatio hot sauce, both in bottles and the little plastic restaurant-type packages. Been subsisting on that in recent months, and can get more as needed.

But ideally, I'd prefer to have a suitable local source here of hot sauce that I don't have to worry about importing or carrying with me when I come back from the U.S.  Will see if Huy Fong flavor-wise meets that need for the primarily Mexican-type food I cook at home.

In the deeper, darker past, I was relying on Don's Foods small bottles of chipotle and jalapeno sauces, which were OK, and actually the chipotle was quite good. But Don up north got out of that business and retired to southern pastures, and alas, no more Don's sauces around my neighborhood.

Back in the States, I really only ever ate/used Huy Fong when I was eating Vietnamese food. Needless to say, never had to press it into service there for Mexican cooking. But, living in Thailand sometimes requires extraordinary adjustments!!!!! :tongue:

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

15 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Hey - you got it....

It's turned into a staple at our house - even in some homemade soups/noodles....

Augments Thai cooking nicely....

I never paid attention to it (liked Wolf's but it dissappeared) until I started using it in a local CM restaurant about a year ago....Now we use it all the time.....

I guess you are right about Wolf's.  I was at Foodland the other day and saw that they no longer carry it.  This is from an old thread and  all of them are gone.

post-58284-0-37453100-1362893870.jpg

Edited by ricklev

5 minutes ago, ricklev said:

I guess you are right about Wolf's.  I was at Foodland the other day and saw that they no longer carry it.  This is from an old thread and  all of them are gone.

post-58284-0-37453100-1362893870.jpg

That looks like one of my old photos. One of the Wolf's bottles is obviously to the far left.

But AFAIK, the three other styles that make up most of the photo are the version of Don's sauces that temporarily lingered on for a while after the actual Don's bottles began disappearing. I think they (the Thais who took over from him for a while) redid his bottles to take the name "Don's" off, but otherwise were pretty much the same. But even those have been long gone from my local Foodland in BKK.

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That looks like one of my old photos. One of the Wolf's bottles is obviously to the far left.

But AFAIK, the three other styles that make up most of the photo are the version of Don's sauces that temporarily lingered on for a while after the actual Don's bottles began disappearing. I think they (the Thais who took over from him for a while) redid his bottles to take the name "Don's" off, but otherwise were pretty much the same. But even those have been long gone from my local Foodland in BKK.

I see that was from your old post.  I used to order bags of Chipotle chiles from Don.  They were pretty good.  I wonder if anyone is still making them up North.  That's the kind of value added product that the Doi Kham Royal Project might experiment with now that they are growing  jalapenos.

I kind of wish Don, if possible, had done a bit more to ensure the ongoing life of the business he created up there. There's no inherent reason Thais couldn't reasonably continue to run the operation he created. A lot of us relied on his products, obviously. But whatever the carry-over was apparently died out pretty quickly.

As for jalapenos, I've noticed Villa has started stocking fresh ones lately -- even though their supply of imported, bottled pickled ones (like Mezzetta and Casa Fiesta) seem to have run out at present. The fresh ones aren't even labeled with that name, nor are the ones I got labeled as being Royal Project, but rather "P. Fresh" out of the Doi Saiket district in Chiang Mai, a brand that shows up on a lot of produce at Villa.

5947cf04cc923_2017-06-1920_14_30.thumb.jpg.2c2774f19617ddbeaeb0be3c422ed848.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

6 minutes ago, ricktak said:

Can anyone tell me where the nearest Rimping is to the US Consulate  in CM as I have to take a trip there in about 2 weeks and I would like to pick up some. Thanks. 

Down the river - cross the iron bridge go right.....Turn left where the road begins to bend....RP will be on your right....Parking lot on your left....

6 minutes ago, ricktak said:

Can anyone tell me where the nearest Rimping is to the US Consulate  in CM as I have to take a trip there in about 2 weeks and I would like to pick up some. Thanks. 

Probably at Nawarat. Cross the river turn right.About 2 miles down the river road.

BTW, when I was buying my bottle of Huy Fong at Central Chidlom in BKK the other day, I recalled another poster here previously having talked about buying Huy Fong from the online market Lazada -- which I didn't even know was carrying the product at that point in time.

At any rate, here's the current listing on Lazada for Huy Fong:

594ba17bd78c8_HuyFongonLazada.jpg.8a1a69caa5c73423e875a7e6bfcdedf7.jpg

The Lazada listing works out to about 97 baht per bottle for the smaller 266 ml size.

Although Chidlom was out of the smaller size the other day, their price for that same bottle is 80 baht.

So obviously, if you have the option of buying Huy Fong thru Central or Tops at that price, it's going to be a better deal than Lazada's current pricing.

At least here in BKK, Tops Online now is also showing they're stocking the large and small size bottles of HF for delivery.

594ba3bf241bc_2017-06-2217_58_05.jpg.24592cf756521cb9e75ac0ee06ac6c21.jpg

Meanwhile, I don't think this is a real Huy Fong product, although it's hard to tell from the picture. But at least, it's another reasonably priced and hopefully not too wimpy/bland salsa/chili sauce choice available here. I've never seen this one before at all.

594ba411dec86_2017-06-2217_59_12.jpg.6f2e48db74d3d374546a488057483a28.jpg

33 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

BTW, when I was buying my bottle of Huy Fong at Central Chidlom in BKK the other day, I recalled another poster here previously having talked about buying Huy Fong from the online market Lazada -- which I didn't even know was carrying the product at that point in time.

At any rate, here's the current listing on Lazada for Huy Fong:

594ba17bd78c8_HuyFongonLazada.jpg.8a1a69caa5c73423e875a7e6bfcdedf7.jpg

The Lazada listing works out to about 97 baht per bottle for the smaller 266 ml size.

Although Chidlom was out of the smaller size the other day, their price for that same bottle is 80 baht.

So obviously, if you have the option of buying Huy Fong thru Central or Tops at that price, it's going to be a better deal than Lazada's current pricing.

At least here in BKK, Tops Online now is also showing they're stocking the large and small size bottles of HF for delivery.

594ba3bf241bc_2017-06-2217_58_05.jpg.24592cf756521cb9e75ac0ee06ac6c21.jpg

Meanwhile, I don't think this is a real Huy Fong product, although it's hard to tell from the picture. But at least, it's another reasonably priced and hopefully not too wimpy/bland salsa/chili sauce choice available here. I've never seen this one before at all.

594ba411dec86_2017-06-2217_59_12.jpg.6f2e48db74d3d374546a488057483a28.jpg

Now for some decent tortilla chips to go with that.....

Good Stuff. I don't think I had been to a Vietnamese restaurant yet but about 25 years ago I was doing a job at OAK airport.

The fast food trucks that came to the site were all owned by Vietnamese Americans and they had it on the condiment rack to squirt on burgers, breakfast sandwiches Burritos, etc.

Maybe that is how it became so popular?

1 hour ago, elektrified said:

I don't see "Huy Fong" on that label, otherwise it looks to have been copied. Haven't seen that brand salsa either.

It was on sale, so I bought a jar of this salsa there other day, so I can clarify some on its status.

This salsa apparently is not made by Huy Fong, but the label says it's made WITH Huy Fong sauce as an ingredient. It's made, according to the label, by an outfit called Red Gold Tomatoes based in Indiana, USA.

However, when I say apparently not made by Huy Fong, while the jar label only talks about HF as an ingredient, the jar lid has printed on it both the names of Red Gold Tomatoes AND Huy Fong Inc.

The ingredients list looks OK, mainly tomatoes, tomato sauce, red jalapenos and Huy Fong Sauce.  I haven't opened it yet to give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...