Sriracha Sauce finally in Thailand!

Nampa89

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be good if the OP posted a photo of just what he saw.

I've never found/seen the real original Sriracha sauce from the U.S. here. But some Thai stores do carry an imitation that has very similar looking bottle and labeling.

Unfortunately, the sauce inside is nothing like the original.

In the US, we call it Asian ketchup. It's much more Vietnamese in taste, since the creator is a Vietnamese refugee. He first came from VN to Thailand on a boat named the Huy Fong - hence the name of the company and why it's called Sriracha. 

I prefer it to many other hot sauces, but everyone has a different taste palate. 

Funny anecdote - I was eating at a Vietnamese restaurant in Phnom Penh of all places and they had this sauce on the table. The owner's daughter told me someone told her father about it, he tried it and bought a few cases for the restaurant. 

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

It has everything to do with Thailand. Sriracha is a general name for a hot sauce that was first made in Si Racha, Thailand. Yes, a Vietnamese man has been very successful making it in the US. His version of Thai sriracha sauce, he didnt invent it, just copied the sauce already being made in siricha, in Thailand.

Its the same as saying an American/Vietnamese invented champagne or Parmesan cheese, people make there own versions or copies all over the world.

I guess the OP didn't frame the post all that well, but would it help all of you who are talking about the ubiquitous Thai Sriracha sauce if the title read:

"Huy Fong (Rooster Brand) Sriracha Sauce Finally in Thailand" 

Because that's the announcement that was intended, and it's indeed wonderful to have it available here.  I used to bring a couple bottles when on US trips.

While the US product is named after Thai Sriracha sauce, it is a *FAR* superior product, and anyone who hasn't tried it should stop talking right now until they do.  

Thai Sriracha of the type that's usually served with fried egg or other deep fried dishes is a really nasty, gloopy semi-sweet overly-processed horror compared to the much 'fresher' (and actually spicier) tasting Huy Fong sauce.

Anyway, using words like 'the original' and suchlike in this discussion doesn't really work: Thai Sriracha is 'original' you can give it that.  But who the (#$(#&$# cares in the presence of this MAGNIFICENT IMPROVEMENT!! :)  

Witness the Saturn V of Sauces: 

sriracha.jpeg

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

15 minutes ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

I guess the OP didn't frame the post all that well, but would it help all of you who are talking about the common Thai Sriracha sauce if the title read:

"Huay Fong (Rooster Brand) Sriracha Sauce Finally in Thailand" 

Because that's the announcement that was intended, and it's indeed wonderful to have it available here.  I used to bring a couple bottles when on US trips.

While the US product is named after Thai Sriracha sauce, it is a *FAR* superior product, and anyone who hasn't tried it should stop talking now until they do.   Thai Sriracha of the type that's usually served with fried egg or other deep fried dishes is really nasty, gloopy semi-sweet horror compared to the much 'fresher' (and actually spicier) tasting Huay Fong sauce.

Anyway, using words like 'the original' and suchlike don't really work; Thai Sriracha is original you can give it that.  But who (#$(#&$# cares in the presence of this MAGNIFICENT IMPROVEMENT!! :)

sriracha.jpeg

Its personal taste, but I would consider this to be the original and superior, The US version lots of vinegar.

BoznvsKIgAAYoYE.jpg

This is the imitation variety that I've seen in the past in Thai stores. It's NOT the authentic Huy Fong Foods variety Winnie has posted above, but it's sure designed to look that way. This variety is labeled as "Three Mountains."

5938dd32a6724_ThreeMountainsSrirachaSauce-CW.jpg.c0d244693b90b162f296c499dde8d01a.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

28 minutes ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Thai Sriracha of the type that's usually served with fried egg or other deep fried dishes is a really nasty, gloopy semi-sweet overly-processed horror compared to the much 'fresher' (and actually spicier) tasting Huy Fong sauce.

I agree entirely. The U.S. variety is much spicier and has an entirely different consistency, more like vinegar and ground chilis -- whereas the Thai local, commercially produced Sriracha sauces, like the Sriraja Panich posted above, are more like a slightly spicy, overly sweet ketchup.  Not even remotely the same.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

The OP should read Huy Fong siracha sauce finally in Thailand.

Except, the OP wasn't specific as to just what he saw:

-- the real Huy Fong Foods/Rooster brand from the U.S.?

--the imitation Three Mountains variety in a very similarly styled bottle?

--the ketchupy Sri Raja Panich local variety?

The fact that the OP reporting seeing it (whatever it was) at Rimping AND Central in CM makes me think he spotted one of the Thai varieties, not the U.S. Huy Fong one.

I remember the owner was being sued in California because neighbors of his plant said the factory polluted the air with spiciness.

I remember that too. The craxy part was that when the factory was first opened, there were no homes around. He is in an industrial park, but as the area developed, homes were built nearby

Sent from my SM-G920V using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

This whole thread is an epic troll right? Sriracha sauce is a Thai sauce to begin with and has ALWAYS been available. The fake Vietnamese/US version has been available in Rimping and Big C for the 5 years I've lived here as well. 

Dijon mustard finally in France, invented in America, the stuff they have been making for 200 years in Dijon France is just a copy.

802160.jpg

6 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I am not a sauce user myself.

I remember one time in my teens overhearing a person say to another when the sauce was passed to him...." No thanks, I never use sauce, when I put it on something all I can taste is the sauce".

For some reason I couldn't stop thinking about what he said and it made so much sense to me I never used sauce again.

If ever I' m asked why I don' t use it I give the very same reason I overheard all those years ago.

sometimes you just not want the taste of this "something" and then i put good tasting sauce on it ...

btw there is only 3 sauces in Thailand : the stinky one , the chili one , and the sweet one .....or a mixture of those....

I prefer the sweet -hot-stinky one .......with the red dress..........

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes that right the town of siracha has been making, and is famous for, a particular style of chilli sauce, since the 1930s. The Vietnamese guy copied it and used the name in the 1980s. 

Huy Fong is a brand of siracha sauce, as Heinz makes a version of djion mustard. The green cap and rooster logo are trademarked, but the U.S, patent and trademark office considers the name "sriracha" to be a generic term, the same as ketchup.

The OP should read Huy Fong siracha sauce finally in Thailand.

That could not be further from the truth. Have you even tried it? I've been using it for more than 12 years. Doesn't taste anything like the Shark brand made here. The Thais in my family won't eat the Shark brand. We brought back 7 bottles of Huay Fong as well as 3 bottles of Huay Fong garlic chili paste on a trip a few years back. Then, we discovered that they sell it on iherb.com.

59 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

This whole thread is an epic troll right? Sriracha sauce is a Thai sauce to begin with and has ALWAYS been available. The fake Vietnamese/US version has been available in Rimping and Big C for the 5 years I've lived here as well. 

WRONG!

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I agree entirely. The U.S. variety is much spicier and has an entirely different consistency, more like vinegar and ground chilis -- whereas the Thai local, commercially produced Sriracha sauces, like the Sriraja Panich posted above, are more like a slightly spicy, overly sweet ketchup.  Not even remotely the same.

Yes.  And to prove the point, and was at the (otherwise excellent) 'taam sang' (cooked to order) small restaurant on Rat Uthit Road (the one past Gymkhana towards the train station, just past the Siripanna hotel; seriously: go there, it's here: https://goo.gl/QDl349 .) and took a picture of Thai Sriracha.. 

P1040220-tile.thumb.jpg.ec16aa7773516a875d8c33ca7e8ae201.jpg

Eeeew!  :)  

This article compares Huy Fong with another brand that seems close to the Thai variety: 

https://hotsaucedaily.com/compare-sriracha-hot-chili-sauces/ 

sriracha-ot-kame-plate-shad1.png

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The fact that the OP reporting seeing it (whatever it was) at Rimping AND Central in CM makes me think he spotted one of the Thai varieties, not the U.S. Huy Fong one.

No it's the real thing.  I  saw it myself too at Rim Ping.   It's not the local copy.   It was pretty expensive too, something like 180 Baht for the bottle.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

4 minutes ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

This article compares Huy Fong with another brand that seems close to the Thai variety: 

https://hotsaucedaily.com/compare-sriracha-hot-chili-sauces/ 

This article compares 9 different siracha sauces, and the Huy Fong comes in 3rd. its personal taste. Huy Fong is just another brand, not the original, some prefer it, others dont.  

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/taste-test-the-best-sriracha.html

6 hours ago, SouthernDelight said:

The Little-Known History Of The World’s Coolest Hot Sauce
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/21/sriracha-history_n_4136923.html

Marketing lie.

The sort of thing for which US companies are very well known.

And worse:

https://www.quora.com/How-did-an-American-company-get-patent-rights-on-Indias-Basmati-Rice-in-1997-Was-the-dispute-solved

Edited by Enoon

On 6/8/2017 at 1:14 PM, Peterw42 said:

Dijon mustard finally in France, invented in America, the stuff they have been making for 200 years in Dijon France is just a copy.

802160.jpg

If you can't find a proper Thai bottle of Sriracha sauce here, you're sad. I'm not saying I hate the fake US version, I actually like it more taste wise, but the idea for the sauce is <deleted> Thai, it even comes from a Thai town by the same name! :)

1 hour ago, elektrified said:

WRONG!

Only person here who is wrong is you. 

I mean, if you're going to fake a Thai sauce, maybe try doing it under a different name?

From Wikipedia

Sriracha (Thai: ศรีราชา, Thai pronunciation: [sǐː rāː.t͡ɕʰāː]; English /sˈrɑːə/) is a type of hot sauce or chili sauce made from a paste of chili peppers, distilled vinegar, garlic, sugar, and salt.[2] It is named after the coastal city of Si Racha, in Chonburi Province of eastern Thailand, where it may have been first produced for dishes served at local seafood restaurants.[3]

20 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

Only person here who is wrong is you. 

I mean, if you're going to fake a Thai sauce, maybe try doing it under a different name?

From Wikipedia

Wrong meaning it was NOT sold at Rimping for the last 5 years as you stated. We happen to know a lady who works at Rimping who told us that they only recently secured the deal to import the sauce from the USA - about 4-5 months ago. And Big C has not offered it for 5 years either. I don't know if they offer it now or not. I haven't looked.

Edited by elektrified

i find it strange that Thailand with it's love of hot and spicy food does not seem to produce very good bottled hot sauces,  l like the sauces they sell for "suki" the green or red ones with seeds but really nothing to compare to Tapatillo or the American sriracha .... Wolf brand (made in Thailand) was pretty good but have not seen it for a few years.

40 minutes ago, ricklev said:

https://www.facebook.com/Sriracha.Sauce.Thailand/

I've been buying it from Lazada for about 6 months.

The Facebook page you linked to has a couple of posts from April saying the Huy Fong Sriracha is being added to the stocks of Tops markets, and at that time was supposedly already available at Central Childom Market in BKK.

It wasn't avail at Chidlom the last time I looked a while back, just the Three Mountains imitation. But I'll take another look.

BTW, thanks to the various contributors to this thread.

593938be75bee_2017-06-0818_41_57.jpg.abc5c22c584f6240b158c4717f61bd0f.jpg

593938bd77902_2017-06-0818_41_10.jpg.f59588a3200eb102c43db2457b2dfcf5.jpg

Interestingly, there's another post on the page in which people were being asked to post their Huy Fong sightings in BKK. And from the April 20 post to now, not a single reply/sighting posted. Hmmmm.....

Been in Patts Villa Market for 2 years minimum. Not nearly as flavorful, nor spicy as the orignal. TOTALLY sucked, really. Bought liters of it in the states, but wouldn't waste money on this version again. :bah: Hopefully you get the real deal up there!

Edited by Skeptic7

1 hour ago, daoyai said:

i find it strange that Thailand with it's love of hot and spicy food does not seem to produce very good bottled hot sauces,  l like the sauces they sell for "suki" the green or red ones with seeds but really nothing to compare to Tapatillo or the American sriracha .... Wolf brand (made in Thailand) was pretty good but have not seen it for a few years.

Foodland in Bangkok still sells Wolf brand.

31 minutes ago, ricklev said:

Foodland in Bangkok still sells Wolf brand.

Used to be in Rim Ping....Stopped carrying at our closest one & I tried 4 others - no stock....

Asked at the help desks = yes....Check their computer = no have....